The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is it so important...

I have devoted much of my summer each year to re-reading The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and I have just finished the first half of TTT and I found that I thought the last two chapters of that were two very important chapters in the books. So, I am wondering what chapters do you think are the most important and why?

The Voice of Saruman: I found this chapter important mainly because most of Saruman's power disappears. Gandalf breaks his staff, showing that he is now more powerful, Theoden, who was once under Saruman's spell, is able to ignore his words and assert his own power, and Saruman's own servant casts out the Palantir which is precious to him. Also Pippin picks up the palantir for the first time which leads into the next chapter.

The Palantir: Though Pippin was foolish to pick up the palantir to begin with I believe much good came out of it. It made Sauron believe Pippin held the Ring and was in Orthanc. If nothing else it bought Frodo more time. With Sauron distracted Frodo would have an easier time evading the Eye.

Also Pippin's foolishness stopped Gandalf from looking into the palantir.
Quote:
"Maybe I have been saved by this hobbit from a grave blunder. I had considered whether or not to probe this Stone myself to find its uses. Had I done so, I should have been revealed to him myself. I am not ready for such a trial..."
Who knows what Gandalf would have revealed if it had been he to look first into the Palantir. Pippin may well have saved Frodo and Sam.

And lastly in this chapter Gandalf gives the palantir to Aragorn for safe keeping. And of course Aragorn uses it in ROTK and reveals himself to Sauron.
Quote:
"Dangerous indeed, but not to all," said Aragorn. "There is one who may claim it by right. For this assuredly is the palantir of Orthanc from the treasury of Elendil, set here by the Kings of Gondor. Now my hour draws near. I will take it."
Old 09-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well a glance at the posting figures for CBC might give a few clues, but I think it is reasonable, if not stating the obvious, to say that the most significant chapters for the plot are likely to be found at the beginnings/ends of the books (and by that I mean the 6 books not the three volumes). This is because they "set up" situations that the rest of the book will follow or to be "cliffhangers" to keep the reader in suspense til that thread is resumed.

But since LOTR is more than a story, it is a major - arguably the most reliable - source of information on Middle Earth and so depending on your interest in that world different chapters are important - for me those containing elves and elvish rank quite highly and those involving Tom Bomabadil are virtually disposable! - but again the CbC proves that that opinion is far from unanimous.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote