The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Isn't that sweet? Love in Middle-Earth

What's your favorite love in Middle-Earth and why?

I searched around and didn't find a thread about the romances of Middle Earth (if this thread already exists I'm sorry) But I was wondering what people thought about the different love stories involved in Middle-Earth.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
"What's your favorite...?" topics are placed on the Novices and Newcomers forum, so I'm moving this thread there. I hope many will post their opinions and enjoy reading what others write!

You might also enjoy reading similar threads such as:

Marriage in Middle-earth (happy)
Marriage in Middle-earth (unhappy)
Tolkien love stories - sources
Love stories in Middle Earth
Hope-lessly in love
..to name only a few.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #3
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
I would have to say that my favorite romance is between Eowyn and Faramir. These were two rather unhappy souls (Eowyn because of her love for Aragorn, and Faramir because of his father's disapproval), but both honorable and brave people, who each ended up discovering someone who would be able to empathize with them. I believe that they share a lot of common values, and that they are nearly perfect for each other.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Huzzah! Someone finally answered!

But anywho I totally agree about Eowyn and Faramir, but also despite it all they found each other. Even though things were their worst those two people managed to fall in love.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

I love Earendil and Elwing, mostly just because their story ends happily, and they still were key players in a major part of the silmarillion (as apposed to say.. Ingwe and whoever his spouse was.) Earendil was noble and valiant and Elwing was brave and heroic. When she cast herself into the sea she was strong-hearted and resistent but then when she came to Earendil's ship, Vingilot, she collapsed onto the deck into the arms of a strong leading man. It seems appropriate that Tolkien should show her as such because she was a descendent of Luthien who also was strong and then collapsed into Beren's arms when she didn't have any strength left. It's the perfect mixture of heroism and wimpy heroinism. A perfect parallel. I love it.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dűm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

oooh so many to choose from!

I'd have to say either Eowyn and Faramir or Beren and Luthien.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dűm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I don't know what this says about me, but my two favorite Tolkien romances both end badly.

I am fond of Aldarion and Erendis. Their story is so rich and so human.

I also really like the romance between Eowyn and Aragorn. (*cringes and waits for the Faramir brigade to descend from the ceiling*) Even though it happens largely in Eowyn's mind, and even though she later professes that she loved "a shadow and a thought," her love is real at the time she feels it. And who can blame her? The only men she knows of her own rank are her brother and her uncle; her only "suitor" is the despicable Grima; and suddenly this man shows up who is the embodiment of all she's ever wanted. He represents escape, strength (in opposition to her downtrodden uncle), loyalty, and hope. Of course she attaches all of her hopes to him, and that must include love. Tolkien's characters never fall in love willy-nilly; their marriages and even their unrequited desires always serve a purpose. Aragorn must marry Arwen because she complements his lineage and his importance. Rosie must wait for Sam to reinforce the homely virtues of the Shire. Likewise, Eowyn must fall in love with Aragorn. It makes real her spirit and her anguish, as well as pointing out (as the story does again and again) that he is irresistible--not only to her as a woman, but to everyone he encounters, as a leader. Everyone looks to him.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Look out for the newbie!!!

(But only new on this forum... Well-experienced Tolkien freak er.. fan... coming through).

My favourite romance, such as it is, would probably be Thingol and Melian.

Why?

It's stately, it's successful, it didn't involve crazy dangers or insane lunacy. It lasted QUITE a while too...

And unless you think that the Valar would never give Thingol rebirth, which I think is VERY unlikely, then it's still going on today.

Another interesting thing about it, to my mind, is that is shows the ELF as the one reaching up to a "higher" being, namely a Maia. In all the other mixed-race romances, it's the Men reaching up to the Elves. It's kind of nice to see the Elf as the one reaching up for a change (if the first recorded romance can be called a "change").

Of course, all the successful love stories have their place in my heart. And the unsuccessful ones make the best reading, sadly enough.

I mean, face it. Which would you rather read: Aldarion and Erendis, or Aragorn and Arwen?

Reading only what Tolkien wrote, that is. Tolkien tends to treat the good romances with very little detail. It's the sad stories that we know a lot about.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Yeah...
My pick would be Eowyn and Faramir. There's something very touching about this story and cute. You as the reader know them for a while, and hope they'll be well in the end and worry about their safety, and in the end - voila, they end up with each other. Those who say Tolkien was just matching them randomly to get a happy end for Eowyn are wrong! Eowyn needed a gentle person like Faramir to make her see life with different eyes. And I guess Faramir too needed a 'proud shieldmaiden' of the North to tame.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
It lasted QUITE a while too...
As did another great romance: that of Galadriel and Celeborn. The touching story of a powerful Elven Lady and her hen-pecked husband.

Shameless plug

(Welcome to the Downs, by the way, Formendacil. )
Old 01-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd have to say that Beren and Luthien is my favorite. Because of that i also like Aragron and Arwen becuz those two relationships are basically the same. One of my favorite parts in the Silmarillion is wen Luthien dances so beautifully in front of Morgoth that he falls asleep and that gives time to Beren to cut a Silmaril out of the Dark Lord's crown. Even tho being a deutscher i'd have to say that that part is a perfect example of Amerikaner ingenuity
Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Yavanna and Aule. Another touching story of a love for all ages.

(shameless plug for REB)
Old 01-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #13
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Ah, there are so many for different reasons. Generally, I think Tolkien described love stories very beautifully. There was always something on the background that made the affection profound and touching. For example one of my favourites is the relationship between Níniel and Túrin. As twisted and unfortunate their love is, it's sweet that two such miserable characters find a little happiness together for a while.

Then there are of course Faramir and Eowyn, those two sweethearts. One can't just help loving their story, can one? It's probably the only affair that made me really happy for them. As Evisse said, I too when I read the book, was worrying if they will end up together (Dang it! Eowyn, can't you just fall in love already?!). And when they did, it was such a relief
Old 01-08-2005, 02:31 AM   #14
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gotta be Sam and Rosie! I'm not one for love stories generally, but their's was such a fundamental and caring relationship that I have to vote for it.

Quote:
And if Sam thought himself lucky, Frodo knew that he was more lucky himself: for there was not a hobbit in the Shire that was looked after with such care.
You gotta love the 'Mom' in Rosie!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Mine is definitely Eowyn and Faramir. In the movie, they're like night and day, like, she's saying that the cold is evil creeping up on her doorstep, and then Faramir says, "It's just the early spring rains." They are such a cute couple!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:34 PM   #16
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'd also put in a vote for my mum and dad...Hurin and Morwen, that is.
They complemented each other well in their characters and had a very equal, understanding relationship.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have to go for Faramir and Eowyn too .... cos I wanted to be Eowyn and I'm still looking for my Faramir :P ..... But Aldarion and Erendis is a fantastic story of when it all goes wrong - almost the flip side of the Faramir /Eowyn coin.

I don't go for the Rosie/ Sam one... I just want to slip some Greer or De Beauvoir through a timewarp.... Excessive childbearing and a husband who puts you second all the time. I mean the second Frodo says he is going West ... Sam wants to go... he doesn't give Rosie and Elanor a moment's thought. Grrrrrrrrr

I think the saddest love story is possibly of Finduilas's love for Turambar.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #18
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Anything unrequited.
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurion
Anything unrequited.
Nah - get too much of that in real life....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote