The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Discrepancies in Tolkien's writings

I have been thinking about this and puzzling it over for a while...but I am still stuck. Once again, it is over the meaning of 'Legolas'. (Sorry, guys... ).
But I was wondering, because in LOTR Galadriel calls him 'Legolas Greenleaf', which could be taken to mean that 'Legolas' means 'Greenleaf' (rather like the Glittering Caves of Aglarond- where Aglarond means Glittering Caves I think).

In Tolkien's letters (211, to Rhona Beare), he says:
Quote:
Legolas means 'green-leaves', a woodland name- dialectal form of pure Sindarin laegolas...
(Tolkien goes on to name the roots of the parts of the name, etc.) It is interesting that he says it means 'green-leaves' plural, not 'green-leaf'.

In the Book of Lost Tales I (under the entry in the Appendix for 'Tari Laisi') it says something completely different:
Quote:
The following note is of great interest: 'Note Laigolas= green-leaf, becoming archaic because of final form becoming laib, gave Legolast i.e. keen-sight . But perhaps both were his names, as the Gnomes delighted to give to similar-sounding names of dissimilar meaning, as Laigolas Legolast, Tśrin Turambar, etc. Legolas the ordinary form is a confusion of the two.'
This is a complete contradiction to what he has written elsewhere...

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you have any other examples we could puzzle over?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
The form and meaning in the Book of Lost Tales are ooold, just like the whole book. As you can see, the name was that of a 'gnome' of Gondolin, too. Tolkien changed his mind on linguistics even more often than on other aspects, this is one such case, which happened sometime between 1915 and the writing of the LOTR.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote