The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
A Hunting Eagle???

Hiya! I've been chugging along in my thorough re-reading of LOTR, and taking thorough notes for my thesis. I stumbled across a passage, and I'm not sure it holds any significance, but it would seem to me that it may.

Quote:
There were many birds about the cliffs and the rock-chimneys, and all day high in the air flocks of birds had been circling, black against the pale sky. As they lay in their camp that day Aragorn watched the flights doubtfully, wondering if Gollum had been doing some mischief and the news of their voyage was now moving in the wilderness. Later as the sun was setting, the Company was stirring and getting ready to start again, he descried a dark spot against the fading light: a great bird high and far off, now wheeling, now flying on slowly southwards.

'What is that, Legolas?' he asked, pointing to the norther sky. 'Is it, as I think, an eagle?'

'Yes,' said Legolas. 'It is an eagle, a hunting eagle. I wonder what that forebodes. It is far from the mountains.'
I've checked for other references to this eagle, but I couldn't find one. I must have somehow missed this passage on every other reading of LOTR that I've done (or else then I didn't see the possible significance of it). Anyone have any clue what it could refer to or signify?
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
Dunadun
Pile O'Bones

Dunadun has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dunadun
It's my assumption that the eagle was maybe hunting for the others. Like a lioness in a pride of lions. Maybe his job was to bring back a good quantity of food for the others or maybe that's wrong completely and he was scouting to see the activities of Mordor.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
It's my assumption that the eagle was maybe hunting for the others. Like a lioness in a pride of lions. Maybe his job was to bring back a good quantity of food for the others or maybe that's wrong completely and he was scouting to see the activities of Mordor.
What would be the significance in showing this, though? Could the eagle have been a spy for Mordor, sort of like the Crebain?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
No.... definitely not. The Eagles would be the last race to serve Sauron, since they are directly "affiliated" with Manwë. The Eagle could have just been hunting for food. After all, they need to eat too!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
An eagle hunting evil things. They did that sometimes back then.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:14 PM   #6
Dunadun
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally posted by Finwe
No.... definitely not. The Eagles would be the last race to serve Sauron, since they are directly "affiliated" with Manwë.
That's not what i meant. I meant that he was spying against Mordor. Maybe preparing for the battle ahead.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Quote:
originally posted by Dunadun
What would be the significance in showing this, though? Could the eagle have been a spy for Mordor, sort of like the Crebain?
I assumed that you meant that the Eagle was spying for Sauron.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Well, eagles are too noble to be spies by definition. I believe he was a scout. When Legolas says..
Quote:
"I wonder what that forebodes. It is far from the mountains."
...He most likely already knows what it forebodes, or could guess. The eagle could be a watcher in these dark times, far from his homeland to keep an eye on the shadows of Mordor or the lands that were under its evil veil. No hidden intents and purposes here as far as I can see, only some sensible symbolism in omnipresent aviary form.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
Dunadun
Pile O'Bones

Well, yeah, that's kinda what I meant.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:10 PM   #10
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
What would be the significance in showing this, though?
I think the significance is mainly to show that the whole of Middle-earth is in turmoil and awaiting war and sufferance. We see all kinds of creatures on their way preparing for war or watching their territories. Even the Eagles are on the move!

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #11
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Ah-ha! I found it! I think I skimmed over it when I was looking ahead to find out what the eagle was supposed to be: (all bold emphasis is mine)

Quote:
'What do you wish to know?' said Aragorn. 'All that has happened since we parted on the bridge would be a long tale. Will you not first give us news of the hobbits? Did you find them, and are they safe?'

'No, I did not find them,' said Gandalf. 'There was a darkness over the valleys of the Emyn Muil, and I did not know of their captivity, until the eagle told me.'

'The eagle!' said Legolas. 'I have seen an eagle high and far off: the last time was three days ago, above the Emyn Muil.'

'Yes,' said Gandalf, 'that was Gwaihir the Windlord, who rescued me from Orthanc. I sent him before me to watch the River and gather tidings....'
Hope this clears that up, at least. ^_^