The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #41
Mercy of the Valar

Sting

i thought that liv tyler did a lovely job with what she was given. Theres more to Arwen than what people think, and she captured it beautifully. Shes not just some pretty little elf maid who is only there to be a facet of scenery. The choice she has to make, in the books and movies, is a really big decision and liv did a good job showing how hard it really was for her.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:00 PM   #42
Arcuwen
Pile O'Bones

Arcuwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arcuwen
Sting

I have to say the ROTK Arwen was much better in my opinion than her role in the TTT and FOTR movies. I agree with you Lyta_Underhill <BR>when you talked about Arwen's role in FOTR and making Frodo seem kind of wimpy. Just also the fact that she stole Glorfindel's part made me mad . Overall I think Arwen was tolerable in ROTK and if they had to put her in there, they did it right. The part with her child was good, as well as the parts with her and Elrond. As for the kiss, well, it's not exactly how I pictured them kissing. Too Hollywood-ish. But then again, they had to have something like that to satisfy all those love story fanatics out there. The whole Arwen-tied-to-the-ring confused me, but thankfully they didn't make a big deal out of it. It's a shame the Arwen/Aragorn love story was the main focus instead of Eowyn/Faramir. Maybe in the extended edition...
Arcuwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #43
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must say I enjoyed Liv Tyler's role in <I>The Two Towers</I> more than I did in <I>Return of the King</I>, though both were fine performances. I enjoyed the wedding scene between Arwen and Aragorn (aside from the presence of Elrond). Did anyone else think that Aragorn and Arwen's kiss looked like Al and Tipper Gore's famous smooch?
Old 01-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #44
miladyevenstar

Sting

edited because I found an older thread which addresses my first question/comment....<BR>I think Liv Tyler did a wonderful job with Arwen considering the amount of screen time available. She conveyed a sense of kindness, beauty, and always steadfast love for Aragorn. If anything, I would have liked to see more -- perhaps something that would further highlight the conflict and immense ramifications to her decision to give up immortality, but I understand that there was already too much else to include in the movie. I don't think they could/should have de-emphasized her role any further because that would have weakened the ending re: Aragorn/Arwen in my opinion. The cornonation kiss scene was fine for me -- that certainly convinced me that Aragorn and Arwen were the loves of each others' lives! (Both actors did a great job with the emotions and expressions.) Overall, I am ok with what we did see of Arwen in the movies and am content to fill in the rest from the book and my imagination.<p>[ 9:09 AM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: miladyevenstar ]