The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting Modified review/summary of Return of the King

Based on fresh information, I decided I’d modify my too-long-already summary of Return of the King, for the couple of people who might enjoy it.<P>Beginning credits. We begin with Gollum’s back story, which was originally designed to be in the Two Towers Extended Edition. Not a bad way to open the movie, I say. And for those of you who’ve heard some of the soundtrack, I understand track 1 supports this idea.<P>Now that the Saruman death scene is out (I can see where they felt like they had to cut it, but I am still of the opinion that they should have left it in), I don’t know how they plan to have Merry and Pippin reunite with Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Théoden and his men, much less have Gandalf receive the Palantír. Somehow this happens, and the two hobbits journey with Théoden and the rest back to Rohan. <P>At Rohan, several things happen. Gandalf and Aragorn discuss Frodo’s journey. Théoden and his men take counsel for their next move. Sometime in the night, Pippin steals the Palantír from Gandalf’s bed and looks into it. (Side note: Someone has already posted a mistake on movie-mistakes.com that when Merry snatches the Palantír, you can later see that a pitcher that was at the side of the bed is no longer there) Merry is now thought to be the Ringbearer by Sauron. Gandalf surrenders the Palantír to Aragorn and takes Merry to Minas Tirith. Before going, he gives the speech to Aragorn about "the board is set, pieces are moving." Aragorn tells him "He has gone unchallenged long enough." Gandalf speaks to Aragorn of taking the Paths of the Dead. Evidently he does not take that course yet, because Merry and Gandalf reach Gondor, and Merry lights the war beacon of Gondor before Aragorn then breaks in on the war counsels of Théoden and tells them the alarm is raised. Théoden relocates his troops away from Edoras. At the encampment, Elrond delivers Andúril, the reforged Flame of the West to him. My question is whether Aragorn looks in the Palantír before, or after he receives Andúril, I’m guessing afterward, so he will have the new sword to show. <P>When Aragorn looks in the Palantír, Sauron shows him an image of his beloved Arwen lying cold and dead. According to the visual companion, the Evenstar pendant shatters. A theory of mine is that Arwen (sleeping in that red dress we keep seeing her in, in the previews) and when Aragorn looks in the Palantír, she wakes up in a panic. This would explain the short, quick sliver of a scene we see in the preview where she is wrapping her arms around Elrond. It is then revealed that Arwen is sick. This would probably be where Elrond tells her she gave away her life’s grace, he cannot help her. (I wonder what Elven vomit looks like?)<P>Aragorn wrenches the Stone away from the Dark Lord and sees the Corsairs of Umbar. He and his two companions (alone!) take the Paths of the DeadThe Dead set about the three to challenge them, but Aragorn takes command and leads them through the paths. Word has reached my ears that this Aragorn must do battle with the King of the Dead. POSSIBLY this is where Legolas says "He is here." But I don't think so, since he was just referring to the Eye of Sauron a minute earlier. My guess for that line would be the Witchking. Théoden, meantime, marshals his troops to ride to Rohan. Pippin is sworn to service of the King, but commanded to stay. Éowyn picks him up and they both ride off with the rest.<P>Gandalf arrives in Minas Tirith. They meet Denethor. (Yay we get to see him...boo for the jerk that he is) Gandalf and Pippin retire to their room, where Pippin asks in that adorable accent of his: "Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?" Later on, he becomes the Knight of the White Tower, and serves as one of Denethor's personal servants. Faramir returns from his battle at Osgiliath and informs Denethor that it is overrun. Denethor sends Faramir on a suicide mission to drive the orcs out. Reportedly one of the most poignant scenes is when the callous Steward asks Pippin to sing his song, and Pippin sings while Denethor watches his “lesser” son ride to his death. The soldiers of Faramir give a good fight, but a boat load of orcs come across the channel and overrun the small band of troops. There is great loss, and some attempt to escape back to the White City. The Nazgûl show up, and the Fell Beast swoops down to scatter the riders. Faramir is injured, and the White Riders charges out onto the field to challenge the Nazgûl in a spectacular effort. In one shot of the preview, a very quick one, there is a shot of the Nazgûl circling the riders, but there is a white light piercing the darkness. Faramir manages to escape back to the White City, dragged by his horse. <P>The siege of Gondor builds up and sets in. The long, but long-expected battle begins. Thousands upon thousands of Mordor orcs march up, with troll-propelled siege towers, warg riders, and battering rams. A huge battle — THE huge battle — is begun. The Gondorian archers fire their arrows from behind the walls as the deadly army advances. Then Grond, the huge battering ram of Mordor is brought forth. Trolls hold it, orcs guard it, and the Witchking directs its use. It breaks the gate of Gondor, and orcs plow in. Sometime during, or perhaps before breeching the gate, they fling the heads of the men captured from the Osgiliath skirmish over the walls, just like from the book. Three levels of the seven-level city are breeched. <P>Meantime, Denethor despairs for his city and rule, and begins the Pyre of Denethor insanity. Merry is given leave, and runs to sound the alarm about Denethor. Gandalf, facing down the fell beast, is called back to stop the fallen Steward’s actions.<P>The Rohirrim show up, led by Theoden, which is where the shot of the Rohirrim plowing through the ranks of orcs. Théoden slays many orcs, but the Witchking dives down and the fell beast swoops in and grabs both Théoden and Snowmane. Éowyn as Dernhelm and Pippin defend him in the spectacular battle of the year. (DANG! You wouldn’t believe this, but just as I was writing, my younger brother calls me in for an LotR commercial on TV. It was a Return of the King commercial!! But he called me too late, and all I saw was the logo and the words “Starts December 17th”. Crud!)<P>A few side notes about the battle. Reports confirm that Legolas takes down a Mumakil of his own. Unconfirmed reports indicate that Legolas mounts one of the creatures (perhaps by shooting arrows into it thereby forming a ladder of sorts), kills everyone on board, then shoots an arrow into the creature’s brain. He then slides/surfs down the trunk, where Gimli awaits him below with the phrase “that counts as one”.<P>Aragorn with the Army of the Dead show up to save the day on the Pelennor Fields. I still don’t get how the ToyBiz action figure "Pelennor Fields Battle Armor Aragorn" has the cool Gondorian armor when Aragorn doesn’t get that garb However until after the end of the siege of Gondor. Perhaps he gets these clothes on one of the ships? (Trivia: Allegedly Peter Jackson and Richard Taylor make cameos as people on the ship, and PJ supposedly even is show taking part in the battle!) Yet I don’t think he gets them until later, because the picture of Aragorn in the now-deleted scene healing both Faramir and Éowyn has Aragorn still in his Ranger clothes.<P>Gandalf, Éomer, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and others take counsel as to what the next move is. While they are victorious in the battle, it came at great cost. Éomer says they cannot hope to achieve victory through strength of arms. Aragorn (note: still in his Ranger suit!) says no, but they can hope to give Frodo a chance. Thus, though weakened, they resolve to ride in open arms against the Black Gate. THIS must be where Aragorn gets his armor, because in the DVD preview, it shows a lot of riders pouring forth from Gondor in an orderly fashion, Aragorn in the lead, wearing his new clothes and armor, and looking thoughtful. I think this must be the shot where Legolas and Gimli are riding, and thinking of Gandalf when he said "All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given us."<P>Sometime here after, the band of warrior setting out from Gondor waylay a band of orcs because the camera angle showing Aragorn looking thoughtful is seen a second later with him yelling a battle cry and charging. The company come to the Black Gate, where the Mouth of Sauron disheartens them by showing them the Mithril coat of mail that they proclaim as captured from Frodo. The company resolves nevertheless to give battle to the Dark Lord’s forces<P>A note again on the battle speech that Aragorn gives. I have surmised through careful study (stop that laughing) that the voice is most definitely Aragorn's. People are fooled by the images of the trailer into seeing the Rohan riders (including the scene of Éowyn cheering) as being with the army at the Black Gate. In fact, to give more feeling, they mixed the shots of both speeches. The first image of troops shows a smoking Gondor and a band of Rohirrim preparing to charge is indeed the shot of the Muster of Rohan, but the overlying speech is Aragorn's. Aragorn rallies his troops delivers to his troops that are prepared to do battle at the Black Gate. Also, in the books, the army wasn't mounted, for the most part. But you can conclude nothing else based on what can be seen in front of Aragorn when he swivels around on Brego with his sword in the air. If I’m right, you owe me a reproduction of Strider’s Elven knife. If I lose, you owe me a reproduction of Aragorn’s Ranger coat.<P>Rumors have circulated from enough sources to convince me that, while Aragorn does not do battle with Sauron himself, he will be doing battle with the Mouth of Sauron. From a couple of reports, I’ve surmised that, while Aragorn manages to deal him a deathly blow, he himself comes near death, but be saved by the decision that is made miles away in the mouth of Mt. Doom. for what Frodo accomplishes<BR>Back to Frodo and Sam, but there's really not much at all to put together. They are led by Gollum to Cirinth Ungol. I'm unclear as to exactly when, but while being guided past Minas Morgul, that strange light that rockets out and up heralds the Witchking's departure with a huge army to attack Minas Tirith. Frodo's neck is scarred and cut by the weight of the Ring. This, of course, is where Frodo is climbing high above Minas Morgul and Gollum says "Come master!...Come to Smeagol..."<P>Sméagol and Gollum appear to be united in an effort for the Precious. Frodo does not see what Sam sees; Gollum is leading them in to a trap. The hobbits fight with Shelob, and Gollum somehow escapes. Orcs capture Frodo after he is attacked by Shelob. Sam's bitter parting with Frodo, who he thinks is dead, is an amazing performance on Sean Astin's part. <P>Sam follows orcs that capture Frodo, and it appears that, contrary to the book, there are several orcs that Sam winds up fighting himself. There is one shot which I think I can safely identify; during Gandalf's speech from the preview about Sauron being either exalted greatly in victory or downtrodden utterly in defeat, there is a spectacular shot of someone running up stairs to a tower. I'm pretty sure this is Sam, rushing to Frodo's aid. Frodo's Mithril coat is taken, as well as his clothes, but Sam kept Sting and the Phial, as well as the Ring after Frodo was stung. They dress up in Orc armor, and try to slip past the enemy lines to Mt. Doom. Of course we still don't know if they will be made to march with other armies of orcs or not, but eventually the hobbits come to Mt. Doom. When the reach the pinnacle, Sauron's road to the mountain's interior, and the cracks of doom, the doorway looks similar to Sauron's helmet from the prologue. Frodo and Sam grapple, Sam shouts "NOO!" when Frodo puts on the Ring. Gollum gets Ring, falls into Cracks, is destroyed.<P>We know Gandalf WILL fly on Gawihir to rescue Frodo and Sam, by the way. After that...it's anybody's guess as to how they handle the world post-Ring destruction. Understandably, it's been kept tight-lipped.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:36 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Hmm, not too far off, Knight, but you are out on a few points. I won't spoil it for those who don't want to know, but if you really do want to know the storyline to this film, what's in and what's out, and much much more, click on the second link given by Gorwingel <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002462" TARGET=_blank>here</A> and read the answers that Marty gives to the questions he is asked.<P>A warning though. If you read the whole of Marty's thread (57 pages last time I looked), you will end up knowing more or less the whole story.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #3
Northman
Pile O'Bones

Northman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds good but, i think you got Merry and Pippin confused in the begining. Pippin goes to Minas Tirith not Merry. Merry rids with the Rohirrim.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Woah KnightofGondor you say that Merry is believed to be the Ringbearer, I thought Sauron thinks Pippin is the Ringbearer?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Sorry, I KEEP mixing those two hobbits up! In name only, mind you, not who they are. I just have to keep them straight. Man, can't believe I messed that up...
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 12-04-2003, 02:07 PM   #6
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

wow. You ahve no idea how confused I was reading Merry where I though Pippin was supposed to be. <BR>Thanks for the report though. I really enjoyed it. I really can't wait for this movie!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Good effort, Knight! Cheers.<P>OH MY GOD, what a story!! Forget about the movie, I'm talking about the story! That is just <B>incredible!!!</B><P>Reading that synopsis really made me appreciate once again what an incredible tale the Lord of the Rings is. It's just amazing, I'm flabbergasted. <B>WOOHOO!!</B><P>Whatever minor changes have been made in the movie version, it appears that the most critical parts have been kept. Even if they are not 100% as good as they should be, this still promises to be an excellent movie event.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:29 PM   #8
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Weeell...old Knight didn't come off to bad, now did he! When I have time, I'll pick apart my summary. But just so you know, the Mouth of Sauron was originally slated to be included, and still might be in the EE.