The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2003, 11:22 AM   #41
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aidan Gillen.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:31 PM   #42
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

The whole "Silmarillion" wouldn't work as one movie there'd be too many seperate storylines. It would work pretty well if they'd split it up into a lot of shorter movies (one about Beren and Luthien, one about Earendil, etc.)
Old 06-26-2003, 09:47 PM   #43
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How many movies do you think it would have to be?<P>Burzdol
Old 06-26-2003, 09:51 PM   #44
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Does it have to be a movie at all? It would make a far better TV show/series.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:57 PM   #45
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think turning it into a TV show/series would totally ruin the Silmarillion, but it's a good idea to split it into several movies. All I know is that I'm gonna round up some of my Tolkien-loving friends and we'll make our own movie. Coming to a theater near you...
Old 07-06-2003, 09:22 PM   #46
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

How about a miniseries?<BR>It's way too much of an epic to be put on film.<P>I think it'll be cool if the different Valar would be cast from different races. Just an idea...
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:57 PM   #47
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Only Beren could play Beren<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of course.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yes, but what if the camera didn't flatter him? Hmmm? What then?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Pish..
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:42 AM   #48
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think they should make Feanor's story as a movie though. I reckon that would be great, no i really really want them to make a movie about Feanor.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #49
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The only actor I know of named Aidan would be Aidan Quinn.<P>Joaquin Phoenix as Sauron? Wow, I'd have to agree with you there. In fact, I'd have to say whenever I read the Sil I'll be thinking of him in that role.<P>Anyone else think that Craig Parker (Haldir) seemed more of a Feanor? He didn't set right in FotR or TTT to me. Too much inner fire, if that's the way to describe it.<P>Sean Connery strikes me as a king of Numenor. Maybe Tar Palantir?<P>I'd put forth Stuart Townsend as maybe Maedhros or Maglor.<P>Charlie Sheen as Ar Pharazon. (Wierd choice?)<P>Nicolas Cage as Elros.<P>Heather Graham as Tar Miriel? <P>But no, the Sil will never be made into a movie. Too much information, and if anyone tried, it'd be too novelized.<P>However, I lay claim to Elbereth (ha ha!) if anyone's casting. <P>Hey, I was wondering, isn't Haleth a girl's name? As in Haleth [i]son[/] of Hama? It was a name of a girl in the Sil.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:44 PM   #50
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She wasn't particularly feminine, , but you're right, Haleth was a woman.<P>Nah, the sil could never be a movie. Movies have to be simplified when they're taken from books -- look at LoTR, which didn't just get simplified but warped as well -- and the Sil is in its very essence complicated.<BR>Anyway, you can't cast mere humans to play Valar and non-Istari Maiar, and the Calaquendi. Think how <I>bad</I> it would all look. No, I don't think it should be attempted, although it may well be as they seem to be making movies of everything these days. Too many movies...
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:37 AM   #51
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

The only real problem with making the Silm into movies/TV series is that its not as well known as LotR. Complex storylines aside, fewer people would go to see it simply cuz they dont know what the heck it is. And I would hate to see a book as great as the Silm messed up. <BR>As for the characters, Beren should <B>should</B> play Beren. Just cuz it would be right.<BR>Maedhros could be whoever played Elladan in FotR.<BR>Maybe Claire Danes for Luthien?<BR>And for some truly strange reason, I picture Beleg Cuthalion looking like Legolas. I dont know why, or where that mental image came from. So, Orlando Bloom all the way.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #52
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have to say this... But Nicole Kidman has both the poise and beauty to become a Valar.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:28 AM   #53
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to see Christian Bale as Fingolfin and Nicole Kidman as Elbereth. But we will have difficulty finding actors fit for the roles of the princes of the house of Finarfin cause they're too fair for real people.
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:41 AM   #54
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I want Christian Bale to play Fingolfin and Nicole Kidman as Elbereth but i think we will difficulty in finding actors fit for the role of the sons of Finarfin because these princes are too fair to be portrayed by mortal men.hehehe.anyway, Liv got Arwen's role, ryt? That would make it easier
Old 07-11-2003, 12:47 AM   #55
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Silmarillion would be a big project, we would need many extras. i think filmmakers should focus on Nirnaeth and the last battle led by Earendil. And also Feanor because he started all these but they should REALLY follow the plot this time and cut off the sloppy love plot among characters.hehehe.but i did like the piece on Finduilas andf Turin
Old 07-11-2003, 05:42 PM   #56
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>No, I don't think it should be attempted, although it may well be as they seem to be making movies of everything these days. Too many movies...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree. I really, <I>really</I> don't want to see the Silmarillion as a movie, show, or miniseries. I wouldn't trust anyone short of Tolkien himself in doing something like that. Maybe (and I stress maybe), if Christopher Tolkien had a major voice in the production, it would be a good miniseries, but it seems highly unlikely that he would want to do that (and I certainly don't blame him).<P>Of course, that doesn't mean it's not fun to talk about possible castings. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sean Connery strikes me as a king of Numenor. Maybe Tar Palantir?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ooh, I didn't think about that... yes, he definitely has the presence to be a Númenorian king.<p>[ July 11, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:01 PM   #57
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sean Connery strikes me as a king of Numenor. Maybe Tar Palantir? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't have a clear image of what an actual Numenorean king is like, but Sean Connery could certainly pass as a king. He does an excellent turn as King Arthur in First Knight.<P>And speaking of First Knight: Julia Ormond who plays Guinevere has too much spirit in that movie, but otherwise is the perfect Finduilas of Dol Amroth.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:19 PM   #58
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Er, let's give it a rest, guys. Tolkien had much greater world than the extent of Rowling's Wizarding world but i do think she's a very humorous writer that's why i love her works, as for the 'stolen plot', well spotted. i reckon she borrowed some of Tolkien's ideas but hers are of course somewhat altered in a way that tolkien-Rowling readers won't take much notice. that's why she had house-elves instead of High elves, Gnomes instead of Noldorin elves and soul sucking dementors instead of Ringwraiths.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #59
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I think that post is on the wrong thread.<P>Who would voice the dragons? Especially Glaurung? He would have to have this evil voice, the kind that makes you shiver in your bed and have nightmares...
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 03:08 PM   #60
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Who would voice the dragons? Especially Glaurung? He would have to have this evil voice, the kind that makes you shiver in your bed and have nightmares...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Easy! Joan Rivers.<P> <P>But actually, I think Christopher Lee would be good for a dragon's voice. He's just got one of those voices that can really blow you away. Or perhaps James Earl Jones - he's also got one of those powerful voices.<P>Maybe someone who voiced some of the more creepy Disney villians would do well in that area... Jeremy Irons (Scar from the Lion King), or whoever did the voice of Frollo in the Hunchback of Notre Dame...
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Old 07-13-2003, 10:29 PM   #61
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Check out this thread- <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001728" TARGET=_blank>http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001728</A> <BR>It's pretty much the same subject.<P>I also mentioned Joquin Phoenix in that thread, but I nominated him to play Feanor, not Sauron. That's always what I imagined Feanor looking like.<P>And don't feel bad Estella, I remember posting on a thread one time and nominating Natalie Portman to play Luthien. Just like you said, she was the prettiest actress I could think of off the top of my head.<P>And I think it would be best if they would just make a movie out of one story, like one centered on Feanor beginning with his birth and ending with his death.<P>The story that would work the best, I think, would be the story of the children of Hurin. It could start off with a bang at the Battle of Unumbered Tears, and end with Turin's death. Here's a quote from one of my buddies, Lord of Dor-Lomin, (it's on the thread I gave a link to) about turning Turin's story into a movie.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Right on, Tealdude3, Turin's story seems to be the one with the most groundwork provided. Not only that, but I think it's the best, most dramatic story. If it was well written and directed, people would be crying through the whole movie. Can you get any more action and emotion anywhere else?<BR>to illustrate, here's the basic movie outline:<P>(little sis dies, daddy captured, has to leave mommy, kills some bad guys, wrongfully accused, kills some bad guys, does bad things and feels bad, kills some more bad guys, mistakenly kills best friend, kills a bunch more bad guys, goes back home and mom is gone, kills a few more bad guys, loses Finduilas, kills some bad guys, marries sister, kills big dragon, siter/wife kills herself, he kills himself)<P>The whole story is either extreme action or extreme emotion! With the right director, I honestly believe it would be a huge hit.<P>Unfortunately, I have no clue who should play Turin. He would have to have a young pretty face, and also be tall, because it said that most people looking at Turin figured he was an elf from one of the great houses. And obviously, he'd have to be strong and athletic to make him believable as a great warrior.<P>I have a couple friends who could play a couple parts. My friend Angela is tall (6'2"), blonde, and really hot, and she'd make a great Nienor (and she's done acting before, as well as advertising). And I have a buddy, he's known round here as the phantom, that would make a great Hurin (and, of course, you'd want to show Hurin's last stand even though the movie's primarily about Turin). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think I'd make an excellent Hurin. I'm a bit shorter than average, I have blonde hair, I joke a lot, I'm very loyal, I never say die, and I have an endless store of energy (now that I'm running again anyway).<P>And yeah, James Earl Jones's voice would be great, no matter what part he would be playing.<p>[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 07-13-2003, 11:03 PM   #62
PushtakhTheSneak

The Eye

I would have to agree with Estella Brandybuck that the only way The Silmarillion could be made into a film is in a mini-series. It would have to be on a cable channel though because of the commercials on the major networks. It could later be released in a box set (ie. Band of Brothers)<BR>As for who should be in the series, I would want newer up and coming actors not Hollywood movie stars. I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't think Liv Tyler as Arwen was a good choice. <BR>Most of the attention in the mini-series would have to be placed on the stories of the House of Hador which would include Turin and his cousin Tuor. This could problably be done in one two hour episode because their stories intertwine even though they were not aware of it. It would set up the story of Numenor also because of Elros Tar-Minyatur (first King) being the grand-son of Tuor.<BR>This could follow an episode of The Lay of Leithian to show how the Dunedain are descended from both of these houses. Elwing daughter of Doriath who was the son of Beren and Luthien was the mother of Elros.<BR>The later parts would have to show how Middle-Earth after the drowning of Beleriand was settled and eventually the creation of the Rings of Power in full.<BR>I think a mini-series based on The Silmarillion could be done today and not twenty years from now. We have the technology as was shown in Peter Jackson's films. I hope someone out undertakes this epic project in the near future.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:42 AM   #63
Elen Ilúvitauri
Pile O'Bones

Elen Ilúvitauri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Joaquin Phoenix as Feanor? Talk about eye candy! no i think you are quite right, he has the evil demenor that could be used successfully to create Feanor.

Tommy, SNATCH'S answer to Pippin.
Elen Ilúvitauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #64
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And don't feel bad Estella, I remember posting on a thread one time and nominating Natalie Portman to play Luthien. Just like you said, she was the prettiest actress I could think of off the top of my head.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone in the world. <P>And I agree with what your friend said here:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The whole story is either extreme action or extreme emotion! With the right director, I honestly believe it would be a huge hit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Though I would still prefer the Silmarillion to remain unfilmed, I suppose if the right director could be found, then the story of Húrin and his family would make for fantastic cinema.<P>Quick question... did Túrin have blond hair? <B>phantom</B>, you mentioned being able to play Húrin, and that you have blond hair... I don't know, maybe I missed something in the Sil (which is very likely - I read waaaay too fast), but I'd always pictured Túrin as having dark hair.<P>Well, if Túrin's a blond, I really don't know who (out of Hollywood, that is) would be fit to play him. If he was dark haired, however, then I still think that David Boreanez would be perfect for the role, and anyone who's seen him play the vampire Angel knows why. He's just got that dark, almost foreboding aura, and yet he's not someone who you can see as being truly <I>evil</I>.<P>Joaquin Phoenix as Fëanor? Never considered that one... but yes, I can see it. At first I wasn't sure about him playing an elf, but he does seem to have a sort of regal air about him.<p>[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]

Old 07-14-2003, 11:05 AM   #65
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I really don't know, but if it was a miniseries, there should be one movie for each "Of so-and-so" story.<P>James Earl Jones should do the voice of Glaurung or Morgoth. Who could forget him as the voice of Darth Vader?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:39 PM   #66
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Quick question... did Túrin have blond hair? phantom, you mentioned being able to play Húrin, and that you have blond hair... I don't know, maybe I missed something in the Sil (which is very likely - I read waaaay too fast), but I'd always pictured Túrin as having dark hair.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He did have dark hair, as proved in the following quote from The Silmarillion:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...and he was in truth the son of Morwen Eledhwen to look upon: dark-haired and pale-skinned, with grey eyes, and his face more beautiful than any other among mortal Men, in the Elder Days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When I first read The Silmarillion, I remember thinking that Turin had blonde hair until I came across that passage. It was then my mental image of him completely changed. <P>As for actors, how about....Johnny Depp? Somehow I can see him playing that role, though perhaps his looks are a little too weathered for Turin.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:04 PM   #67
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

He is a bit too weathered to play Turin. I know I'm going to get yelled at, but what about Orlando Bloom as Tuor? He looks great as a brunet and as a blond, and he also has a sort of Elvish demeanor.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:02 PM   #68
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Quick question... did Túrin have blond hair? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Nope. His father, Hurin, was blonde. Everyone in the house of Hador was blonde for the most part. Turin on the other hand got his hair and eyes from his mother, Morwen, of the house of Beor.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I still think that David Boreanez would be perfect for the role, and anyone who's seen him play the vampire Angel knows why <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm still having a terrible time putting a face on Turin, but I think Mr Boreanez would work as well as anybody I can think of. Good call. (Angel is a great show, eh?)<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I know I'm going to get yelled at, but what about Orlando Bloom as Tuor? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>(Yells at Finwe)<P>Just kidding. Maybe it'd work, I don't know. Tuor is one character that I've never really connected with or drawn a bead on his personality and appearance.<P>What I mean is, I'm pretty indifferent to Tuor, therefore I'm pretty indifferent to the choice of actor.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:06 PM   #69
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Hey I also voted for the miniseries! <P>Nicole Kidman as a Valar? I really find her beautiful, but I think she has features too strong. How about Asian Valar? Try to make them multi-racial.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:18 AM   #70
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>He (Depp)is a bit too weathered to play Turin. I know I'm going to get yelled at, but what about Orlando Bloom as Tuor? He looks great as a brunet and as a blond, and he also has a sort of Elvish demeanor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I must be smitten, because I never think of Johnny Depp as too weathered for anything! :P I've been in love with him since Edward Scissorhands, long ago! And, as for Orlando Bloom, for some reason, I seem to visualize him as Glorfindel! I'm not sure who would make the best Turin, but I wouldn't rule Depp out of it because of weathering! Also, how about Kate Winslet as Melian the Maia? Joaquin Phoenix as Fëanor is interesting, and perhaps apt; I cannot seem to think of anyone else at all right now to challenge that one with!<P>As for me, I'd have to be Nerdanel (the only red-haired female elf I know of), but what a home life she must have had with Fëanor and 7 kids! Aaaaagh! I'd like to see someone parody that! Life with Fëanor! Fred MacMurray as Fëanor...My Seven Sons...OK, I'm getting REALLY silly now, so I'll end now!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. <BR>Fëanor: Honey, I'm home!<BR>Nerdanel: How was your day?<BR>Fëanor: Awful! Morgoth killed my father and stole the Silmarils! <BR>Nerdanel: Oh, that's awful, dear! Want some dinner?<BR>Fëanor: No, honey. I'm taking the boys on a trip to Middle Earth!<BR>[insert sound of sons yelling for joy]<BR>Nerdanel: But how will we afford it?<BR>Fëanor: I'm quitting my job and taking early retirement. Oh, and I've got my eye on some nice Telerian ships.<BR>Nerdanel: Oooh! I don't think we can do that on our tight budget! We've got 7 kids to feed, you know!<BR>Fëanor: You leave that to me. I'm leaving in two weeks.<BR>Nerdanel: But honey, Amrod and Amras are still in school! Can they take their homework with them and do it on the boat?<BR>Fëanor (sly grin): But of course!<P>Forgive my utter silliness! Fëanor tickles my funnybone sometimes!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:31 AM   #71
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm not sure who would make the best Turin, but I wouldn't rule Depp out of it because of weathering! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Indeed. Johnny is actually quite good looking for being forty. I suggested him not because of his looks, but because I know he has the personality for the role of Turin. As for his weathered look that I mentioned, that can be covered with makeup.<P>Also, I know I mentioned this somewhere before, but how about Heath Ledger as a possibility for Turin? At first I was unsure about him in that role, but now I think he might not be so bad.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 PM   #72
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but how about Heath Ledger as a possibility for Turin? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Isn't Heath a blonde? I think I've only seen him as a blonde, so I'm having trouble seeing him as Turin.<P>John Depp as Turin? Too old (for me anyway). So much of his story takes place while he's in his upper teens and early twenties. Turin needs to have a young, handsome face.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And, as for Orlando Bloom, for some reason, I seem to visualize him as Glorfindel! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Well, Glorfindel is a blonde elf, so your visualization probably isn't too bad. (I imagine Glorfindel as being a shade bigger and stronger though)<P>I don't really want to see the Valar. The beautiful way they're described would be impossible to duplicate. I would hate putting a face on the Valar. It would be just as difficult as putting a face on Luthien. That's another good thing about Turin's story, the Valar wouldn't have to be shown.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:04 PM   #73
Linteamarthwen
Pile O'Bones

Linteamarthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think it would be cool to have a Silm. movie! Even if it was correct to all of tolkeins words. The story of Luthien and Beren should be in it and some other important events. I would love to be Luthien...that would be soooo much fun!!
Linteamarthwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:09 PM   #74
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As for the characters, Beren should should play Beren. Just cuz it would be righ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Good girl.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:39 PM   #75
Elen Ilúvitauri
Pile O'Bones

Elen Ilúvitauri has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How about Asian Valar? Try to make them multi-racial.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Im not trying to sound racist, (and believe me i am certainly not!!!) Tolkien created his mythology as a substitute Anglo-Saxon mythology, somehow i dont think one of them would do.

Tommy, SNATCH'S answer to Pippin.
Elen Ilúvitauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:17 PM   #76
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>How about Asian Valar? Try to make them multi-racial.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Im not trying to sound racist, (and believe me i am certainly not!!!) Tolkien created his mythology as a substitute Anglo-Saxon mythology, somehow i dont think one of them would do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, making the Valar Asian would add a more otherworldly quality to them and suggest their otherness from the Children of Iluvatar in a concrete way (much like I think they chose Elijah Wood for his "elvish" look to suggest Frodo's slight difference from the other Hobbits.). It actually sounds like an interesting idea! I've seen also some artwork that portrays Elves with very upswept eyes, almost Asian, but not quite, but not Western either. That suggests otherness to me too, although they cannot be pegged as Asian or Western. (The artist I speak of is Ezpeleta and can be found on the Rolozo Tolkien page at The One Ring's site, other places too, I think) I think the variation of race to suggest the Valar/Eldar split would be neat, but I would add something that would separate them from true Asian looks as well, maybe like a bluish skin tone, like some Hindu deity depictions. Of course, this would cancel out the "taking the form of the Children of Iluvatar" parts of the story perhaps, but for a movie, it would be a good visual index. Neat idea, <B>Neferchoirwen</B><P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:31 PM   #77
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Im not trying to sound racist, (and believe me i am certainly not!!!) Tolkien created his mythology as a substitute Anglo-Saxon mythology, somehow i dont think one of them would do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I'm not so sure about this. In writing LotR, I believe that Tolkien wanted to create a modern myth for England. And north-west Middle-earth, where the action in LotR takes place, certainly has a very Anglo-Saxon (and Norse) feel to it. But the Valar created the entirety of Arda, including the lands to the East (Khand and beyond) and to the south (Harad and Far Harad). And those areas would have a very different feel to them. So, I personally don't see objection to a multi-racial mix of Valar, so as to be representative of all the peoples of Arda.