The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2003, 05:21 PM   #1
Princess of Rivendell

Pipe what does Elrond mean?

greetings from rivendell. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]: i'm new here, so bear with me. i have a question thats been bugging me ever since i've read it.my sister and i have been reading the The Lord Of The Rings for the first time so,we don't know much.anyhow,here's my question,In The Return of the King in the chapter "Many Partings" on the last page at the end on the chapter,Elrond says to Frodo "I think,Frodo,that maybe you will not need to come back,unless you come very soon.For about this time of the year,when the leaves are gold before they fall,look for Bilbo in the woods of the Shire.I shall be with him" here's our question. the hobbits went to visit Bilbo, because he was to old to travel,so what does Elrond mean whenhe says this? is Bilbo going to die? and the other thing is.the last thing it says after what Elrond says is,These words no one else heard,and Frodo keot them to himself, what the hell does it mean?why was it a secret? and was it a secret?. i just don't get it [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] it's driving me up the wall.anyways, thats my question. i do hope someone knows what i'm talking about.oh before I forget,we're reading the book that has all 3 in 1 and Gandalf on the cover.so if anyone has that book, then it's on the page 966 ,in the chapter call, "Many Partings".well thats all,I think.thanks for your time.bye [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]:

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]:PRINCESS OF RIVENDELL
& MORDOR [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]:

Smeagol: Argh!! What’s he doing! Stupid fat hobbit! You ruins it!
Sam: What’s to ruin? There’s hardly any meat on ‘em.
Sam: What we need is a few good taters.
Gollum: What’s taters, preciousss? What’s taters uh?
Sam: PO-TAY-TOES!---The Lord Of The Rings:The Two Towers---
Old 01-30-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

If you haven't finished the book yet I don't want to spoil it for you, but that quote from Elrond is simply a foreshadowing of things to come at the end of the story. As far as Frodo keeping it a secret, it dealt only with the Ringbearers so there was no reason to tell the others.

If you've already finished the book and are still confused let me know and I'll try to explain it.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It basically means that Elrond and Bilbo will be travelling West through the Shire in an Autumn soon to come. In other words, they will be heading to the Grey Havens soon, so he does not need to return to Rivendell to see Bilbo. Elrond was a ring-bearer too, and their time was now over - Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, Bilbo and Frodo.

Remember what Arwen said to Frodo? She said that Bilbo "...will no longer make any journey save one." I believe Frodo knew what this meant, so when Elrond said what he did later, Frodo knew why Bilbo and Elrond would be together in the Shire.

hope I made sense! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Yep, Tar-Palantir said it-and it makes perfect sense to me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
BTW:cool avatar!
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
Princess of Rivendell

Pipe

oh see,well,i'm about to start the last chapter,but don't worry i love to be spoiled, i'm the type of person, who starts at the last page of a book and then i read the whole thing [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]: i know,shame on me,but i can't help it.so let see if i get it,Bilbo and Elrond were going to the grey havens.i thought only elves go there.anyhow,so to put it short he was telling Frodo that Bilbo was going to die next year,i'm i right?

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]: princess of rivendell
& mordor [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]:

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Princess of Rivendell ]
Old 01-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
Princess of Rivendell

Pipe

oh one more thing, how did you get that avatar or any avatar for that matter? i can't seem to get mine to work [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] my goodness i'm slow [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]:

princess of rivendell & mordor

Smeagol: Argh!! What’s he doing! Stupid fat hobbit! You ruins it!
Sam: PO-TAY-TOES! Boil ‘em. Mash ‘em. Stick ‘em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish....
Smeagol: Pbbbttt!!
Sam: Even you couldn’t say no to that.
Smeagol: Oh yes we could! Spoiling nice fish... " Give it to usss rrraw... and wrrriggling! . You keep nasty chips".
Sam: You’re hopeless.
---The Lord Of The Rings:The Two Towers---
Old 01-30-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Well, I think they would let him go there (1)Because, he had something incredibly evil in his possesion and he would recover from the Ring better if he went w/ them to the Grey Havens (2)Well Elrond couldn't just leave an old friend in Rivendell can he? Ofcourse he cuold if he wanted but Bilbo would be better off in the Grey Havens.

Does that help? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
so to put it short he was telling Frodo that Bilbo was going to die next year,i'm i right?
Finish the book and find out! you're so close...
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:30 PM   #9
Princess of Rivendell

Sting

yes it does,thanks [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

smeagol: Argh!! What’s he doing! Stupid fat hobbit! You ruins it!
Sam: PO-TAY-TOES! Boil ‘em. Mash ‘em. Stick ‘em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish....
Smeagol: Pbbbttt!!
Sam: Even you couldn’t say no to that.
Smeagol: Oh yes we could! Spoiling nice fish... " Give it to usss rrraw... and wrrriggling! . You keep nasty chips".
Sam: You’re hopeless.
---The Lord Of The Rings:The Two Towers---
Old 01-30-2003, 06:30 PM   #10
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

If you want your Avatar to work it has to be from an existing site and his has to be a jpeg. you can read more from the FAQ on the Newbies & Novices thread.

Finish the book soon! Read, read, read [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: InklingElf ]
Old 01-30-2003, 06:31 PM   #11
Princess of Rivendell

Sting

okay,okay i'll finsh the book tonight. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]:
i just can't help it
Old 01-31-2003, 04:28 PM   #12
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Jesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Princess of Rivvendel,
In order to get an avatar, first you need an image. I can find one for you if you tell me what picture you want. Second, click on my profile then click on update profile. Now scroll down and you'll see a big empty bar. There you type in the url for your avatar and then whalla! You have an avatar. However, the avatar privlage shouldn't be abused. It took me awhile to find the one I currently have. PM me if you want me to help you look for an avatar....
Old 02-01-2003, 01:15 AM   #13
Krumbad The Slobberer

Sting

For all the first-time readers -
The book doesn't end with the last chapter, and the last chapter isn't the end of the story.

The Appendices contain a lot more than just family trees - read all the appendices or you haven't read all of the books!
Old 02-01-2003, 03:57 AM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Foiled Again

@#@*! I thought you meant literally, what does the name Elrond mean! I just finished Letter 211 which explains the meaning of Elrond and Elros. I'm going to tell you anyway!

The El- part is star (of course), from the same root that produced Elbereth or Eldar. -rond is used for a cave, such as Aglarond or Nargothrond. -ros is the spray from a waterfall (can't think of any other examples - Henneth Annûn is something to do with curtains). After Elrond and Elros were abandoned in the woods by Maedhros and Maglor, the twins were found in a cave with a waterfall coming down the front of it. Elros was playing in the fall, and Elrond was in the cave behind.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:50 AM   #15
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Question

Thought the same thing, doug. sheesh. And I was just trying to refresh my memory of Elrind's name's meaning. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:30 AM   #16
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Maedhros and Maglor abanonded Elrond and Elros! Why and when? I'm guessing it was when they decided to steal the Silmarils.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote