The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2002, 07:06 PM   #1
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Alcerin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Elven Cloaks: magical or not?

Ok, I have been wondering about this for some time, and it's driving me crazy...<P>Do the Elven cloacks that Aragorn,Legolas and Gimli wear in TTT just regular cloacks, or do they camophlage them like it says in The book?<BR>I'm going to get reaally mad at PJ if they aren't magic<BR> <BR>becuase that is'nt an expensive special effect,it's one of the oldest tricks in the book!!!<P>ohh...and the elven rope too,I wonder what they will do with that....

~John 11:35~
Alcerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:28 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, I think that they act as camophlage because those orcs ran right by Frodo in Amon Hen when he laid against the tree. I mean, he wasn't really hidden, so the cloak must've had a part to play with that.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 11:17 PM   #3
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Depends on how you define magic. Galadriel tells Sam (when he asks if her mirror is magic) that she finds that a hard term to understand, since he seems to use it both of her works and of the works of Sauron. All it really would have to mean in this case is a technology which they don't understand and are incapable of reproducing; in this case the cloaks and the rope. I'm sure the rope and cloaks will behave as they did in the book, maybe with a little CGI to make the cloaks hide the wearers a bit more perfectly than ordinary cloaks would, but it may not look terribly spectacular to the moviegoers; after all, there's nothing inherently exciting about seeing a rope slither down or NOT seeing someone in a grassy landscape. It's only by knowing that the rope somehow untied itself, or that there was a person there who was completely hidden by a cloak, that the magic comes in.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:39 PM   #4
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They aren't really 'magical'. They do have a 'kind' of magic in them. They were woven by Galadriel and her handmaiders so they definately do have some beneficial qualities given to the wearer.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Kalimac, and rather like that thing that Galadriel said about magic. It's really very difficult to define, isn't it? I mean, if you brought, say, Sam to 21st century Earth (okay, wishful thinking, I know, just bear with me), he wouldn't understand any of our technology. (Heck, <I>I</I> don't understand most of our technology. It could <I>be</I> magic for all I know.) Therefore, it would be inexplicable and, by most peoples' vague grasp of magic, magical.<P>Personally, I think that the elven cloaks weren't magic, persay, like the Rings or Sting or anything. I think that they were just woven very masterfully by the Elves in such a way as to make their wearers difficult to see. Kind of like camo, I guess, only better.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-10-2002, 10:20 AM   #6
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Same here,I don't think the cloaks were magic,magic...they were just made of this specially material that helped it to blend in with the surrounding area,for camoufladge....and they were made really well by Galadriel and her Madiens so they should be really special
Old 12-10-2002, 05:04 PM   #7
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I also think that they were only sheilded from "unfriendly" eyes. That means that we will see our hero's perfectly because none of us are unfriendly right?
Old 12-10-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I like Rose's answer the best, though I still would like it better if the cloacks actually "cloacked" (you know, like the stuff in star trek- nevermind)

Old 12-10-2002, 11:39 PM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Orual - "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."<P>- Arthur C. Clarke<P>I think that's the situation here. For the Elves, it's technology. For everyone else, it's magic.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
Haelothiel
Animated Skeleton

Haelothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I always thought that the cloaks weren't really magic. Not active magic... just a kind of passive magic, just being special. You know how they say everything we make has a little bit of us in it? Well, think of an elf, beautiful, kind of magic but not, quiet, graceful. So how could the things they make not be like them? So naturally they would be special, but elves are too natural to have magic like in actual cloaking spells (oops, that was a bit redundant). At least that's what I think. And you do see that they are that kind of magic in TTT, from comments and how they hide at the gates of Mordor (I hope I don't ruin this for anyone, but it's been out for awhile...)
Old 04-01-2003, 09:34 PM   #11
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

The cloaks are well-made, but do not make the wearer invisible.<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:02 AM   #12
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I think they repel water!!!!! Im serious! in the boat scene, Sam isnt wet, but there are tiny drops of water on his cloak- they dont seem to sink in!!!
Old 04-14-2003, 05:00 AM   #13
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes they are magical- how else do you explain this. The fact that when Sam and Frodo fall down the hill near the Black Gate in TTT Frodo has a backpack over the top of his cloak but then MAGICALLY when he wraps the cloak over himself and Sam the backpack dissapears!
Old 04-16-2003, 10:00 AM   #14
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
Silmaril

To say the Elven cloaks are magical, I think, is a matter of perspective. Under regular circumstances, the cloaks are generally just cloaks. In my opinion, given the right conditions, the Elven-magic will kick in. Anything that is made by Elves seems to have some extent of their magical power, so the cloaks must, too.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:53 AM   #15
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They don't disapear! They look like a huge rock. The cloaks won't turn 'shart nor blade', but they could, shield them from unfriendly eyes...under some circumstances. Obviously the cloaks have their limitations when it comes to illusenment.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 06:27 PM   #16
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is one thing I was wondering. In the scene where Frodo runs down the rocky hillside to where Sam has landed and then Frodo covers the two of them with his cloak so they are not seen by the Easterlings they seem to totally dissapear. But during the scene where Merry and Pippin are crawling away from the orcs (and they are presumably wearing the same cloaks, unless Galadriel gave Frodo an extra special cloak) they are still seen, even though they are covered by the cloaks. Are they not wearing them correctly? Because you would think that the orcs are unfriendly eyes, so they would probably not be seen? that is just something I have been thinking about for a while.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:55 PM   #17
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

Thanx for all your replys!!!<BR>you know, when I started this discussion, it was right before TTT came out, and i was kinda curious and irritated about this topic because I saw one of the trailors, and the scene with the riders of Rohan just did'nt seem right...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And strange too is your raiment. Have you sprung out of the grass? How did you escape our sight?<br><BR>~~Eomer, The Two Towers, chapter The riders of Rohan~~ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Obviously if the author intented some sort of magic, PJ could have squeezed a teensy bit in on that scene!!! But i'm whining...so i better go read <i>The Return of the King</i> to console myself... <BR><br><BR>P.S. Good point, Gorwingel