The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2002, 02:18 PM   #1
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting pippin's portrayal (films 2 and 3)

Pippin in FOTR , lets face it , was somewhat portrayed as the comic relief as i'd have to say he is in the books . The interesting thing will be whether the remains to be the comic relief in TTT and ROTK or will PJ show pippin's character is in the book , growing up in mind and in body (hehe).<BR>What does everyone else think ? do people want to maturing , seeing things darker pippin or would film goers rather keep him and merry as the fun loving comic relief , or even a mixture of both ?

"Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:04 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would want him to be as close to the book as posible, to me that means a very pleasent mixture of seriousness and comic relief.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:07 PM   #3
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love Billy's Scots accent! You gotta love him. <P>Anyway,I believe that he will mature. I think he will begin to realize what is truly happening in M.E. How close the danger really is.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the FOTR I really enjoyed Merry and Pippin's comic relief. It made the movie less dark.<P>For the next two movies, I think Merry and Pippin should mature but still pull a stunt every once and awhile that brings our moods up.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:01 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

There is a thread <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001184" TARGET=_blank>here</A> which includes a great interview with Billy Boyd about Pippin's character in The Two Towers. Read it, read it, you'll like it.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:25 PM   #6
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Pipin's a Took, so his behavior is, well( as Bilbo would put it) rather Tookish :-)<P>The Tooks were always known in the Shire to be flighty and different. They traveled more than most hobbits and were wealthier. So this was seen by hobbits as strange and unusual - and we all know that those strange and unusual people are the most entertaining <P>That accent is a trip! "It is in the ground!" "It comes in PINTS!?!?!"
Old 11-21-2002, 08:45 PM   #7
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love Pip's accent!!<BR>anyway I think that Pippin and Merry should mature but even in the book they are still lighter than most. I think thats what the movie should portray him and Merry as
Old 11-21-2002, 10:39 PM   #8
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I want to see Merry and Pippin distinguished from one another more in the next two movies. In the books Merry is more serious and more in tune with Frodo. Pippin is more immature. I hope we will see both of them mature. I'm looking forward to their adventures with the ents.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the Extended Versin of FotR, Galadriel tells Pippin "You will find your courage." I think this foreshadows Pippin "growing up" in the next two films.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:54 AM   #10
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

have to agree on your views about billy's accent is there anyone who doesn't love it ? <BR> thanks for the article link !

Old 11-23-2002, 01:26 PM   #11
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think Joy has it; I remember wondering at the time if "You will find your courage" is sort a nudge and wink saying that Pippin will be doing a few heroics very soon. Though it was a slightly clumsy way of putting it since I don't anyone watching the movie, Tolkienphile or non-Tolkienphile, thought that Pippin lacked courage; mostly he just seemed to lack any sort of basic awareness of his surroundings (to put it nicely). But "You will find your brain" would have been cruel, as well as a little too reminiscent of "The Wizard of Oz." <P>And yes, he has a very nice accent. I guess those Tooks are so crazy that they can't even speak with a normal accent like decent Hobbiton folk .
Old 11-24-2002, 11:27 AM   #12
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I hope Pip says <I>gollum, gollum</I> and <I>my precious</I> in TTT the movie, like he does in TTT the book. Now <I>that's </I>comic relief!
Old 11-24-2002, 01:07 PM   #13
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I hope Pippin grows up! I think they made a mistake in making him the stupid hobbit comic relief. I liked him in the books being young and not real smart but being able to kill orcs and help kill TROLLS if need be! I hope they don't keep him as stupid and helpless.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:41 PM   #14
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know how I would work Pippin's character out if I were PJ, given the character decisions in the first movie. He really was played as comic relief, more so than Merry, who (sadly) faded a bit into the background. Though that interview relieved me, it'll still be a bit of cinematic magic to really bring out Pippin's true courage and character after his being portrayed as your quintessential "fool of a Took" in Fellowship. But, I don't doubt that PJ can do it. It'll just be interesting to see, that's all.<P>And thorondil, you have no idea how much I agree with you!!!! I'm reading RotK right now, a book that never fails to make my shoulders sag and my eyes tear up, so I pull out TT and flip through the pages for that line of Pippin's and Sam and Gollum's fight in "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbits." My Pippin! "Gollum, gollum!" Tee-hee!<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-24-2002, 09:43 PM   #15
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I feel sure that both Merry and pippin will mature as they did in the books but maybe not quite as well as we who love the books may hope. There are some pretty heavy parts in the books with them just being apart. I felt so bad for them all-alone in the differnt kingdoms. This gave us a different perspective of them. I hope they still hace their great sence of humor, as in the books, they kept that through all the bad stuff. They do some pretty brave deeds that I'm sure PJ can't leave out.<BR>by the way, I lkie Pip's accent but Merry has a deeper sexier voice. I love to hear him talk.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:55 PM   #16
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know that PJ could not exclude them from TT and RotK, but I'm worried that (perhaps to include the beloved Arwen?) they might get shortchanged. The Hobbits were the characters that readers could most sympathize with in the books...who didn't identify with Merry, feeling helpless and useless? I could completely understand how he felt. I feel like that a lot. I felt like that after September 11th. And who couldn't feel for Pippin, with his "foolish stones" and difficult talks with Denethor, feeling acutely his debt to Boromir? Of course, for me Sam was always the best, but now that I'm re-reading RotK I have to admit that Merry's feelings of helplessness are probably some of the most identifiable that I had experienced in the whole of LotR. I hope that they don't get the short end of the stick--they were so pivotal to the Lord of the Rings experience.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-24-2002, 11:06 PM   #17
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Pippin is, I think, a very tricky character to adapt from the book. It is so terribly <I>easy</I> to turn him into the comic clown and forget about his deeper qualites. "Fellowship" teeters on the edge of that folly, yet manages to pull itself back just in time with those hints in the Extended Edition.<P>The thing I like about Pippin's character is that certainly complexity...at times he's funny and I laugh at him, other times I identify with him totally, other times I admire him. And yet it's all consistent and totally "Pippin"...Tolkien gave him all those different aspects but always kept him "in character". It was great. I'd be sorry to see him flattened out on screen any more than he already is: if Arwen does monopolize too much time and cause Merry and Pippin to be shortchanged I might just consider joining the Arwen-hater's crowd...maybe....<P>Even prior to reading LotR I always had this propensity to want to see the comic characters do something brave or serious. It's just a thing with me. I see a one dimensional goof-off in a story or movie and I want to see him/her overcome that steriotype and become an unlikely hero.<P>So when reading LotR I was like "Yes, yes...slay that Troll, Prince of the Halflings!" <P>Depite warning myself not to, I'm holding out hope that movies 2 and 3 will be done right. Billy's interview gives me hope. And again, Galadriel's line in the Ex.Ed. plus the way Pip kills that Uruk-hai certainly hinted indicates that they will...but of course those scenes from TTT might end up on the cutting room floor just like the "hints" did, and I'll have to wait till next November. Gah! Horrors!<P>Oh, right, and Pippin did hang onto the Cave Troll in the movie right up until the end of the fight, so I have to give them credit for that.<P>And also, I agree with you, Kalimac, about "You will find your courage". "You will find your awareness" is really the most accurate way to put it, but how boring would that sound?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:28 PM   #18
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ...Merry, who (sadly) faded a bit into the background. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, but I expect that this will be made up for amply in RotK.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:43 PM   #19
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

i agree that i would probably join the Arwen haters if Pippin and Merry do get short-changed , i saw the trailers and there seems to be a lot more of her in there (well the trailer suggests this) than there should be , and pippin and merry were hardly seen at all .....<P>PJ .... do us right and make sure our pippin and merry did not end up on the cutting room floor

Old 11-26-2002, 11:36 AM   #20
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In the Extended Versin of FotR, Galadriel tells Pippin "You will find your courage." I think this foreshadows Pippin "growing up" in the next two films.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That sums it up perfectly. I really loved that part in the extended version, because it shows that Pippin was unsure of himself and his ability to handle his part in the quest. Maybe when he begins to understand exactly what his situation is he will begin to behave more maturely. This should be apparent fairly early on, since, as we know, he and Merry were kidnapped at the end of FotR, so they will have to begin being more self-reliant (after all, Aragorn and the others aren't there to protect them anymore).
Old 11-26-2002, 10:06 PM   #21
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I feel the same way Orual. I most related to Merry in the books, feeling helpless and left behind, sometimes. I do hope the Hobbits are not pushed aside too much for the beauty of Arwen and the others. They are the ones I feel closest to and love the most.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:56 PM   #22
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I wish they could leave Arwen alone! I liked her better in the books just doing as the daughter of Lord Elrond should: sit around and look pretty! They make her character seem more important than some of those in the fellowship! For example: Boromir, he dies and looks lame! And poor Pippin, they made him sooo stupid! Funny but come on, "So where are we going?" A bit much if you ask me! Don't get me wrong! They did so well with the movie, it's awesome, but I do like criticizing!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote