The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Did Arwen become a horse?

Know what I'm talkin' about? There's Aragorn lying in the drink, half-conscious, dreaming of Arwen in Rivendell. She kisses him and they talk about destiny and their love. Seems like he's actually there, it's so vivid. Moments later this horse comes along (I think it's the one he'd been riding) and kisses him on the lips, smack right where Arwen did. <P>I turned to my wife, wide-eyed and said, "Arwen became a horse! Just to be with her love and escape from overbearing father Elrond."<P>So do ya think Arwen shape-shifted into a mearas and galloped clear across Arnor and Rohan to be with her man, and become his beast of burden?<P>
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #2
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Shield

You know, now that I think about it, that horse and Liv Tyler looked an awful lot alike in the face. Ok that was mean, i take it back. I think Liv Tyler is pretty and is a great actress, but I don't think she was suited for this role. But that's another rant. <P>The horse. Riight. This whole merrily-half-drowned-floating-down-the-stream sequence was badly done. Aragorn was not supposed to fall off that cliff. And I think they needed an excuse for him and Arwen to make out again And then the horse just HAPPENS to show up? Like it escaped the Warg fight and tracked his new master down the stream just to pick him up and automatically knows to take him back to Helm's Deep? *Lightbulb* Ya know, a horse that smart might just have some elven intelligence behind it. <P>Hahaha.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #3
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hate to shoot down this most excellent theory, but I believe that was a "boy" horsie. Which makes the kissing a little suspicious...
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am not on Arwen's side at all, but maybe she sent Brego, or got the higher powers to sent him.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sick! Scandalous! Littleman, how could you warp my innocent little mind just so?<P>If <I>anyone</I> was truly having amorous relationships with a horse, those Rohanites are awfully suspect.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:53 PM   #6
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must admit, the thought <I>did</I> occur to me (Arwen becoming a horse I mean)..
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #7
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was laughing real hard during that scene...relating Arwen to a horse, but I think you're right. I mean, which is better, sticking around with her ol' grumpy eyebrows elf dad, or becoming a horse?<P>Actually, my friend made the same theory today, and that Legolas is an armidillo (long story)....
Old 01-22-2003, 05:10 AM   #8
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Oh, please, <B>Blue Elf</B>, no fair leaving us hanging like that. How's Legolas an armadillo?<P>As to the boy horsie thing, if Luthien could turn herself into a bat, why can't Arwen turn herself into a boy horsie? Especially to escape from Agent Elrond trying to send her to Tol Matrixssea in the West! <P><B>Lush:</B> Innocent? You?!? Hmm, maybe that's why Eowyn was so frustrated?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:48 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

When watching that scene, I was utterly sure that Aragorn was going to start kissing the horse back. Then open his eyes and go "Eeeew!" Just for a cheap laugh.<P>I am glad that did not happen.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:21 PM   #10
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Actually, it was Théodred's horse, who (allegedly in the Extended DVD) Aragorn let go free while in Edoras. Nice horse. Loyal horse. Smart horse. Not Arwen-horse.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Now I may be wrong but I'm sure Aragorn talked to that horse in Elvish. I think he called him "mellon". Is this a mistake? If it was a Rohirric horse, why not say "westu hal" to it or something?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:57 PM   #12
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Actually, it was Théodred's horse, who (allegedly in the Extended DVD) Aragorn let go free while in Edoras. Nice horse. Loyal horse. Smart horse. Not Arwen-horse. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok that answers my question about Brego/Arod. Because i know Hasufal (spelling, so sorry) and Arod were goven to Aragorn/Gimli/legolas, and I could'nt figure out where Arod left off and where Brego came in. I just thought it was Aragorn's way of re-naming everything (a la Narsil AKA Anduril).<P>Here's what I wanna know - how did you know that horse was Theodred's?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:59 PM   #13
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Probably because Elvish was his almost-native tongue, and he spoke in it because he had just woken up. Maybe just a screenwriter's little allusion to "mellon" at the West-gate of Moria...something the general audience would understand? Oh well. Doesn't really matter, does it?<P>EDIT: Stupid parallel posting....I just heard that around the Downs forums and in some of the spoiler pages at theonering.net and other sites.<p>[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 01-23-2003, 06:06 PM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hmm. This bit of Elvish was actually after he'd got on its back and had been riding around for a while. There must be a reason...maybe they'll explain in the EE.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #15
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

your right that it's brego. We bought the TTT picture movie guide, cos I'm using lotr in my art course work, in it it says thar aragorn released brego when they left for helms deep,coz he was rili stressed and mental, and aragorn said he had seen enough war! That's how brego appears. personally though, i was worried that he'd bite Viggo's nose off while he was unconcious. looked a little dodgy anyway!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:08 PM   #16
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

And he also says <I>Mae carnen, Brego, mellon nîn.</I> to the horse too, giving you the idea that it's Brego. It translates to <I>Well done, Brego, my friend</I>.<P>That was really trusting that Mr. Mortensen trusted the horse to not accidentally step on him. Although it is a Hollywood horse, I know through experience that they are never completely "tamed" (it would be sad if they were), and accidents always happened. If Brego had accidentally stepped or kneeled on Mr. Mortensen, then we'd have no more Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:05 PM   #17
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

About Legolas the armidillo.....my friend and I wear in a book store, and she saw one of the LotR books with a picture from the movie on the front, the picture beig Legolas. Now, in the position he was in, and especially with that armor, it made him look like he had an armadillo body!! It's really funny when you see the picture and think about it.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:14 AM   #18
Ithildin
Pile O'Bones

Ithildin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Intresting topic!<BR>I think Arwen sent Brego, but she may have told Hasufelto help him...being an elf and all
Ithildin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:39 PM   #19
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

That'd be great if Arwen turned into a horse because then how would she bring him Narsil? Guess they'd just have to have the Dunedain ... <P>Anyways ... If they're going to put something in a movie (like the Brego) and then save the explination for the EE. They should just take out the <I>whole</I> Brego thing!! Just because they can make an EE, doesn't mean they can screw up the theatrical version. ERgh ... anyways ...
Old 07-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #20
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

Hopefully, it was just Brego, or this thing could get complicated!

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:09 AM   #21
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would have thought he was dreaming about Arwen and then when the horse came and started, well, nuzzling his face he just put the two together. I'm guessing that they used Elvish because the more awake film fans would remember "Gandalf, what's the Elvish for friend?", while if he started muttering in Rohirric very few people would get it.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #22
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ha. Arwen as a horse.<BR>I thought the two were entirely unrelated. Arwen brings him back to life, then Brego wanders up and gives him a lift to Helm's Deep. But thinking about it, they could be related. But I doubt Arwen would possess Brego's body or anything. Although it did seem like she was lying there in a trance while controlling the horse.<P>And I am gonna cry because it is so romantic... *runs off to get a kleenex*
Old 07-20-2003, 09:58 AM   #23
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Arwen as a horse. No, I can't say that thought ever occured to me. It was slightly odd when the horse started 'kissing' Aragorn though. I must say, I did hate the whole 'falling-off-a-cliff' sequence.<P>Say, do you know what would have been funny? After Aragorn falls off the cliff Legolas, thinking he is dead, finds the Evenstar and solemly drops it into the river saying: "It should be with him now." Very moving and all that. Then Aragorn turns up and goes "Say, Legolas,did you happen to find my necklace?" Legolas suddenly looks very sick and mutters something about an orc taking it and him being unable to get it back. <P>That stuck with me every time I saw that scene. So, so funny if it had actually happened. Likewise, if Haldir had blindfolded Gimli after the rest of the Fellowship, and when he can no longer see everyone else takes off their blindfolds.<BR>Oh dear, I'm sooo off track!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:15 PM   #24
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That was really trusting that Mr. Mortensen trusted the horse to not accidentally step on him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I had a horse for many years and I trusted her not to step on me. I know that she could have laid down right next to me and I would not of had to worry about being squashed. <P>Arwen could have sent Brego which is logical in Middle-Earth or Brego could have came on his own. In my expirence if the horse is good but you still fall off they won't leave but come and stand by you instead. Kneeling down is another story though.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #25
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Really, we shouldn't even be arguing about this but PJ had to go and screw stuff up again...grr!!!<P>About the whole Talking To Brego In Elvish thing: I talk to my horse in Quenya sometimes. He seems to enjoy it--relaxes, puts his head down, turns his ears to listen to me. (Yay to Tolkien for creating such beautiful languages!!!) Maybe Aragorn just wanted to let Brego know he was pleased, and since Sindarin is much prettier than English, he used it. Horses tend to pick up on tone and sound of voice, and Sindarin is generally softer and more lyrical.<P>I'm wondering (this is for all you horse people out there) how Aragorn got Brego to travel all collected with such a nice headset while he was half-unconscious.<P>Gorwingel--The line just before Brego shows up did go something like "May the grace of the Valar protect you", (should have been Belain, not Valar!!! GRRR! *okay, breathe, Roccotári, breathe*)so maybe she did get them to send Brego. Though how she would have communicated w/them, I dunno. Not to mention the fact that, if horses can even smell something weird, they won't go near the area. The place must have reeked of Orc and Warg. No sensible horse would have gone near it. <P>Hehehe...I do love the whole idea of Arwen becoming a horse though. That cracks me up. "Hey, Asfaloth, I can't get this whole trotting thing down..."
Old 07-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Imagine Aragorn's suprise (& disappointment) when he goes from dreaming about being made out with by ONE of his love interests, only to wake up & find out it's only his horse. Kinda makes you want to drown yourself...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:09 AM   #27
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm wondering (this is for all you horse people out there) how Aragorn got Brego to travel all collected with such a nice headset while he was half-unconscious <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Horse sense, my dear. Ever heard of the story of the woman who fainted in her paddock and when she awoke, one of her horses was standing over her to protect her from being trampled? Sometimes horses just know when you need help. I think maybe Aragorn just let Brego walk and turned him when he needed to be turned.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #28
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Of course, if there was a gay horse, then I think it would have been in the middle of those big, burly, blond Rohirrim.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:57 PM   #29
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That was really trusting that Mr. Mortensen trusted the horse to not accidentally step on him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I doubt that the horse would have stepped on Viggo, even if it wasn't a Hollywood horse it wouldn't have. I believe I learned in my riding class that horses know where they place their feet and may accidentally step on someone if they are frightened or spooked (it happened to a friend's friend). Just a li'l tidbit.<P>And I never saw Brego as kissing Aragorn; I always thought he was nudging him to wake him up, something you'd probably see in a Lassie movie or something. I also thought he was just returning a favor to Aragorn if in the EE he's going to let him go.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:00 PM   #30
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I never saw it as kissing either. Seemed like the horse was just trying to wake him up in the only way he knew how without hurting him. I don't think Arwen would turn into a horse anyways. Probably just a weird coincedence. But it would be hilarious if that was what that was.
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:00 AM   #31
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

THey did look kinda similar. but reading everyone elses, someone already said that. sorry. well anyway, I was wondering if he would kiss the horse back thinking it was Arwen. I'm going to whack myself repeatedly with a frying pan because I'm feeling stupider that usually today. (and I'm going to leave before I get more off the topic!)