The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2002, 03:08 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien So, what happens next?

I know it is a bit early to be thinking about it. But The Two Towers just came out on theaters. There is only one movie left. Isn't that terrifying? I mean, what happens after all of this is over? (And furthermore, what will happen to the movies section of the Downs?)<P>Will you be sad over it? Will you miss the intense anticipation of waiting months and months to see your favorite movie? I don't mean to be the bearer of bad thoughts here or nothing. I was just thinking about it. <P>I think I might actually get a little bored with not having that feeling of excitement anymore. We will have the movies to watch at home. But it's not the same. I think it will be somewhat sad when I walk out of the theater for The Return of the King. Sad like I was at the end of the books. <P>What about anyone else?
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:22 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I will certainly be sad. It will probebly just sort of slowly ware off. I will watch the movies less and less, read the books less often. It will be very sad. So long as this is still around though, I will be O.K.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:27 PM   #3
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I'm absolutely terrified. <P>And yes, I will be very sad. Not so much as like finishing the book (because you can read them over again), but "the end of the excitement of going to the theaters for opening night" kind of sadness. There will never again be the "first time" thrill after we walk out of the theater for RotK.<P>I hope to make the opening night of RotK "a night to remember."
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:29 PM   #4
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My dad said the same thing. "Boy, Mallory, are the people going to be upset when it finally hits them that it's almost over." <P>All I could tell him was that that was the beauty of the Lord of the Rings. We are coming into the story not at the beginning, but at the end. <P>All he said was that it was like Star Wars, where in order to make the first three movies make sense you have to make three preludes. <P>Aylwen
Old 12-18-2002, 11:42 PM   #5
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too, will be very sad when it's over, thinking there will only be the third <I>STAR WARS</I> to look forword to. But there is a possiblity of <I>The Hobbit</I> movie! Maybe someone will make that.<BR>Cheer up, friends! It's not over yet.<BR>~M
Old 01-02-2003, 06:51 AM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'll be glad that all the nasty surprises and disappointments are out of the way! I know what you mean, though, there's such an awful feeling when I finish reading LOTR, when I realise all of a sudden that I'm not reading it anymore! I'm not above just starting again, though. <P>There's something to be said for completion, too. It'd be nice to have the whole story on DVD. Don't know if I could watch all three together, though! Mission.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:09 AM   #7
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I liked all the suprises...(except the whole Faramir and Gimli things but thatz a different story).....I will really miss all the excitment.......but well I guess I alwayz knew that it had to end
Old 01-02-2003, 08:11 AM   #8
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Well, we could always pitch in together, buy the rights to a <I>Silmarillion</I> movie series, and make that....the magic would never end! (I get to be Túrin )
Old 01-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Silmarillion! <P>There is always something to look forward to, even it's just visiting the Barrowdowns again after all the movie-faithful members have disappeared in a puff of Orlando fandom.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:57 PM   #10
LadyMorrigan

Sting

I would like to think there will be more Tolkien movies. I am sure the HObbit will follow and perhaps some of his other works. I think that if the HObbit came out first, it wouldn't have done as well as it would if it came out after LOTR. Lots of non-Tolkein fans are now hooked on LOTR and would now go see a movie about Hobbits.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:23 PM   #11
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Yes, I hope there will be other movies coming out. And you better believe it, if there is ANY type of casting call for anything Tolkien, I will find out and I will be there. No matter what. Too bad I didn't find out there were even going to be movies until they started coming out. But I really do hope they make a Hobbit the movie. It just fits right in.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:02 PM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I too have been thinking about this recently. I want ROTK to come out, but I do not want all this excitement to end. Someone is probably going to make a "The Hobbit" movie, and we will have the awards that ROTK will hopefully win, the 20 year anniversary release, the ultra platium deluxe 3 film DVD with 86 hours of extra footage, hey maybe the LOTR films will become something that fans join together and have midnight showings, and we will also have the notorious LOTR conventions.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:15 PM   #13
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Of course, this is assuming that Tolkien's family will sell the rights to the movies....unless JRRT already did
Old 01-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #14
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

And that's all I got to say about that. Actually, it isn't . I'm not sure I'd want a The Hobbit, but it's going to come sooner or later, so I'll put up with it. That would be great if they'd make The Silmarillion! I get Indril! And if any of you start up these conventions and midnight showings and stuff, let me know!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:48 PM   #15
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

And even if they don't make any more LOTR related movies, remember one thing: There's a prequel being made to dumb and dumber!<P>There have been sequels made to such atrocities as: Weekend at Bernies, House, chucky/friday the 13th/Jason/freddy etc. There is a such thing as enough (and I'm not speaking in reference to anything J.Lo has done - by the way, isn't her 15 minutes up yet?) <P>Remember - sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:10 PM   #16
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just finished posting on another thread trying to describe my feelings when I finish the books. This sounds more like where it should belong. I was really sad when I finished the books, not only because it was actually sad what happened, but also because I was now done reading something I had been reading every night for however long. <BR>So I will definitely be sad that all the excitement will be over. I looked forward to each of the movies in turn, and then there's nothing left after ROTK so I'm sure I'll end up feeling all depressed or something. However, I'm sure that it will just wear off after a while, and I'll always have the movies at home to have a LORD OF THE RINGS MARATHON, where I watch all three movies one right after the other...I guess that's what I'm looking forward to actually!!! EXCELLENT!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:39 PM   #17
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I can't wait until Rotk. I'm sad that it's the last one. Fotr was a great introduction and Ttt was exhilirating because It had really great action. I can't believe that they have to rap it up in Rotk. It's so sad. <P>I am really going to miss the movies. The shock hit me after driving home from TTT. My friend said something like "I can't believe there's only one left." I was upset. The highlight of my whole YEAR was waiting for the movie to come out. But there is still hope. The Hobbit, The Silmarillion ... maybe ...
Old 01-03-2003, 12:58 AM   #18
pherostien
Animated Skeleton

pherostien has just left Hobbiton.
I think thereshould be huge traveling conventions for all the Ringies(like trekkies, but for LotR). Its not the end, this is the beggining, these movies were revolutionary. there will be people all over that will find a way for lotR to go on and on. LotR is the new Star Wars for the teenagers of today. I am 15 years old and have read the book 10 times in one year. I have spent quite a bit of money on LotR. My school has aloud me to start a club at school for Lotr. i have 30 student members and several teacher members. <BR> <BR> Don't say its the end there are too many fans.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:13 PM   #19
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Holy Cow! Ten times in a year!? I've read it seven times in seven years and I fancied myself a fanatic... Nothing like your last post to bring a person back to reality...
Old 01-04-2003, 12:11 AM   #20
pherostien
Animated Skeleton

pherostien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have too much spare time. i read it in 8 days once. its sad. but i dont over obbsess about ant of the characters. Some one told me there were 9 Star Wars episodes... does it ever end?
Old 01-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #21
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Sting

Pherostien, that is so cool you have actually started a club at your school. I wish I went to your school. I go to an art school in the US and they're more concerned with painting than anything else. But I think I know of some people that would be in a club for LOTR...my aunt was a trekkie and it would be coolest thing if there ever became Ringies. There are enough people...