The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
helga litla

Question to understand tolkiens world

if you want to really understand Tolkiens world,then read the book he based his books on...read Snorra-Edda itīs a very old and famous Icelandic book, that Tolkien knew by heart, about the nordic belief....Gandalf was a dwarf. Also the Elvish writings, you can see a very similar writing in Snorra-Edda.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:42 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Gandalf's a dwarf? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] is that just in the Icelandic book?

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:16 PM   #3
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I also noticed Tolkien's style resembling the Norse sagas - not just Snorre-Edda, but the heroic poems and king's sagas and all.

I don't know 'Edda' that extensively, though. Where is the part about the Gandalf-type being a dwarf?
Old 02-07-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Check out the Heimskringla sagas, too. They're out of the Swedish legends. It starts with a human/god Odin and his people, the Aesir, and their neighbors the Vanyar, and how they come from the Russian steppes and take over Denmark and the Scandinavian regions, and the lines of kings descended therefrom.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:17 PM   #5
helga litla

Sting

Snorra is about the nordic myths so I do apologise for saying "a Icelandic book" itīs about our old myths.
Itīs written by Snorri Sturluson, heīs Icelandic (heīs also behind Heimskringla)
Old 02-08-2002, 01:18 PM   #6
helga litla

Sting

Snorra is about the nordic myths so I do apologise for saying "a Icelandic book" itīs about our old myths.
Itīs written by Snorri Sturluson, heīs Icelandic (heīs also behind Heimskringla)
Old 02-20-2002, 06:06 PM   #7
solikat

Sting

Has anyone here read "The Tolkien Reader?"

It includes a sort of mini-play called "The Homecoming of Beortnoth Beorhthelm's Son."

Distinctly Scandinavian. I think Tolkien really had a thing for those Northern peoples.

(BTW, the "Reader" has a lot of other little goodies, check it out, if you haven't already.)
Old 02-23-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Of course he was influenced by the Edda!!! ^_^ trust me.. I mean, if finnish was the model language for his quenya, then the scandinavian myths should be the model for his own legends, right?!? Or maybe I'm just tired..