The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-01-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting The children of Elrond and their choice?

In the Return of the King appendices (which, by the way, are an EXCELLENT introduction to the massive histories of Middle-Earth without/before reading The Silmarillion), in Appendix A, The Númenorian Kings, the book states that the Valar gave Elrond and Elros the choice to be mortal or immortal. Of course, we know who chose what. But then it goes on to state that the Children of Elrond were given a choice also to remain and become mortal and die in Middle-Earth, or to go with him from the circles of the world. Is there no third option? Was it either stay and die, or go and live?

I guess this also brings to mind the question of the future; what finally happens after Aragorn’s death? The books very clearly indicate that Men were coming into power the most on the earth. Does this mean that all the Elves left Middle-Earth, eventually? What about dwarves and hobbits? They aren’t “Men” per se, do they diminish too? What happens after the events of the War of the Ring?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 AM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Is there no third option? Was it either stay and die, or go and live?
I would imagine that the sticking point is the departure of Elrond. When Elrond leaves, his children must make the choice of which kindred to cleave to. At least that is how I understand it. I can't remember rightly, but did not Elladan and Elrohir choose to be counted among Elves and yet stay for a time after their father left? I suppose that is the only "third choice" I could think of.

As for your second question, I was directed to this site some time back. The New Shadow It contains scanned pages of a proposed sequel to the LOTR, called "The New Shadow," set in Gondor 105 years after the War of the Ring. Interesting, short and I can see why he did not have the heart to continue it, as it concerns the ever-present tendency of Men to become quickly sated with Good. As for Hobbits, I thought they were still around today, just very well hidden! I saw one in a W.C. Fields movie this evening as a matter of fact! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:49 AM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hobbits are men and eventually blended in. Dwarves died out due to obvious reasons - restricted living quarters, lack of females, etc.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Dwarves never were the most populous race in ME, so they probably still survived even after the men became dominant. In fact, since there was no love between elves and dwarves, they were not allowed to flourish. When men took over, they would probably have more ways to progress their race.

As for the Eldar. They slowly diminished until all that would go had already gone into the West. Their were still elves in ME, maybe not many of the Noldor race, but at least some 'dark' elves. They would have known nothing of the ships going West. And we know that Arwen stays.

The hobbits stay in the Shire, and eventually become unnoticed... again.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think that all the Elves save for a few of the deeply entrenched Silvan Elves eventually left Middle-earth. Even then, I think that all the non-Man races eventually left or died out. Men have this habit of encroaching upon others' lands, and I think that is what eventually happened in Middle-earth. The Elves either died out, sailed West, or "became a rustic folk of dell and meadow..." as Galadriel said.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:58 PM   #6
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the Prologue to the Lord of the Rings, it is implied that Hobbits are still around, but very well hidden (as Lyta has said) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Hobbits are an unobstrusive but very ancient people, more numerous formerly than they are today (...)
Even in ancient days they were, as a rule, shy of 'the Big Folk', as they call us, and now they avoid us with dismay and are becoming hard to find
Concerning Hobbits; Prologue to LotR
About dwarves, it is said that:

Quote:
And the line of Dáin prospered, and the wealth and renown of the kingship was renewed, until there arose again for the last time an heir of that House that bore the name of Durin, and he returned to Moria; and there was light again in deep places, and the ringing of hammers and the harping of harps, until the world grew old and the Dwarves failed and the days of Durin's race were ended.
The Making of Appendix A; HoME 12, The Peoples of Middle-Earth
So, it seems that the Dwarves have dissapeared from Middle-Earth.

And about Elladan and Elrohir, we know that they stayed with Celeborn in Middle-Earth after Elrond's departure to the Undying Lands. About Celeborn it is said that he sailed to the Undying Lands and that:

Quote:
there is no record of the day when at last he sought the Grey Havens, and with him went the last living memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth
Note on Shire Records; Prologue of LotR
In my opinion this means that Elladan and Elrohir either had already sailed to the Undying Lands or were already dead when Celeborn left Middle-Earth.

What makes me think that they finally sailed to the Undying Lands is this sentence that Tolkien wrote in one of his Letters:

Quote:
Elrond passes Over Sea. The end of his sons, Elladan and Elrohir, is not told: they delay their choice and remain for a while.
Letter 153