The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2002, 08:45 AM   #1
Cirdan the Shipwright
Haunting Spirit

Cirdan the Shipwright has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Lords of the Andunie

Question for the ultra fans - Did Tolkien ever write a genealogy of the House of Andunie, and if so where can it be found?

- Maglor
Cirdan the Shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:12 AM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

To my knowledge, no. He wrote of the first member(s) of the house and the last, but none in between.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
Cirdan the Shipwright
Haunting Spirit

Cirdan the Shipwright has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm really surprised, considering how thorough he was with every other genealogy. Is there any other way to directly trace Elendil directly to Elros (maybe through an intermarriage into the line of Numenorean kings?)

- Cirdan
Cirdan the Shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 04:04 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

The only information on this I'm aware of says Elendil was descended from Silmarien, the eldest child of Tar-Elendil, fourth king of Númenor.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:30 PM   #5
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never seen any other information other than what Inziladun mentioned. Silmarien was a woman and at the time women couldn't become heads of states. As far as I know it just jumps from Silmarien to Amandil, father of Elendil the Tall.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:22 PM   #6
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the Unfinished Tales there's a couple of Silmarien's [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] children but not a full genealogy. Also in UT there's a mention of the Lords of Andunie in 'the Mariner's wife'

Silmarien [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Makes you wonder if Elendil et al were actually the Numenoreans most closely related to Elros after the downfall. After 3000ish years of intermarriage on Numenor perhaps some of the 'Kings Men' who survived in Umbar or even some of the faithful in Northern Middle Earth had a better claim to the throne.

The house of Elendil must have had the best spin doctors!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:37 AM   #8
Anardil
Animated Skeleton

Anardil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Concerning the Lords of Andunie, I have found the following (mostly from UT: Aldarion and Erendis, The Line of Elros).

First Lord: Valandil, son of Silmarien and Elatan of Andunie. Silmarien was, as noted, the eldest daughter (and child) of fourth king Tar-Elendil.

15th Lord: Earendur, brother of Lindorie. Lindorie was the mother of Inzilbeth, who married 23rd king Ar-Gimilzor.

17th Lord: Numendil. He is not explicitly given as the 17th Lord, but as the grandson of Earendur and as the Lord in the days of Tar-Palantir, he would likely have been.

18th Lord: Amandil, last Lord and father of Elendil the Tall.

I have not found information on any of the other fourteen lords. Also, it is not clear when the Lordship of Andunie came into existance. Presumably it was granted by Tar-Meneldur (or Tar-Aldarion) to his nephew (or cousin) Valandil. Who and what was Elatan? Presumably someone important since he married a royal princess.
Anardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:13 AM   #9
Ultimatejoe
Wight

Ultimatejoe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Ultimatejoe
Tolkien

The fact that Elendil lived over 300 years is probably the best evidence that he was strongly attached to the royal house. Nobody outside the line of Elros Tar-Minyatur would have lasted that long.