The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

Hobbitt_Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Noldor or Numenoreans

Who were physically stronger?
Hobbitt_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It depends on what you mean by "stronger", and it will probably depend ore on the individuals of both races. Personally, I think the Noldor were stronger (being Elves), but the Numenorians came very close.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

I guess, just picking the largest of each as a start. On the Elf side we know Thingol, Turgon, Argon, Maedhros, Penlodh were all giant in stature and I guess for men it would be the likes of Turin, Hurin, Hador, Huor, Tuor, and Elendil.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'll still go with Noldor. Although it really depends on the situation - are they just lifting weights, are they in a battle, are they running a race, armwrestling, etc?

If it's in general, I think Elves win. But in certain situations, Numenorians might be stronger.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

Kinetic force or muscle power.

Last edited by Hobbitt_Fan; 02-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
It depends on what you mean by "stronger", and it will probably depend ore on the individuals of both races. Personally, I think the Noldor were stronger (being Elves), but the Numenorians came very close.
I would agree. And I think the Noldor would have better weapons too, being master craftsmen.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbitt_Fan View Post
Who were physically stronger?
Isn't this question more applicable to the world of computer games rather than Middle earth--or Arda?

The quality which made Feanor the highest representative of the Noldor was the fire which burned within him. Such fire is metaphoric or symbolic rather than material (although he does literally die of fire in the end). That's just one example of the ethos of the Legendarium where physical strength is not the most important quality in a character or the determining quality in an event or situation. Tolkien explored pride, power, will rather than brute physical force.

--just my humble contribution
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

I don't know. Assuming that Gil-Gilad possessed such fire which made him formidable, I am assuming that since Elendil possessed it not, he was also able to melee Sauron though brute physical force. They threw down Sauron and slew him together even though they both perished in the process.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I agree with Bethberry: in Tolkien's works physical strength is less important than the strength of the mind + other such things. However, we do notice that those who are strong are held in honour as much as those with other attributes.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
However, we do notice that those who are strong are held in honour as much as those with other attributes.
I think Tolkien's ideas about chivalry and the right duty of a leader come into play here, as he examined it in "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit-fan
Assuming that Gil-Gilad possessed such fire which made him formidable, I am assuming that since Elendil possessed it not, he was also able to melee Sauron though brute physical force. They threw down Sauron and slew him together even though they both perished in the process.

It wasn't Elendil's physical strength which enabled him to escape the fall of Numenor.

I think you are right that Tolkien uses the word "power' quite often, but his concept of power might include more than just physical might.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
I think Tolkien's ideas about chivalry and the right duty of a leader come into play here, as he examined it in "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son".

It wasn't Elendil's physical strength which enabled him to escape the fall of Numenor.

I think you are right that Tolkien uses the word "power' quite often, but his concept of power might include more than just physical might.

I see what you are saying. Hurin could be one the characters where you definitely see the intertwining of strength of arm and will. The same could be said of others.

I do think physical strength was important to his view of ability. In the Fall of Gondolin, he makes a point to mention Rog is the strongest of the Noldor in a physical sense. He further makes a point of the physical strength of Rog's house when they sally forth in their last stand.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
I believe it was said that Men and Elves were similar in strength though Elves had hardier bodies and could take more punishment than Men. Thus what could kill a Man an Elf might survive.