The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Where are they?

I was looking through the site waiting for a thread to be responded to and I noticed there are thousands of registered members and yet a certain lack of active members the most members ever online was about 54 or so and the most I eversee online is about 20-30 and there are the regulars but what about the rest that never appear where are they? Why do we have so many members when so few appear?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Well, there are these things called "time zones". Whilst, when you are on, there are a certain group of "regulars" on as well, there is also another group of regulars that are asleep as it's four in the morning where they live, so they are not online. And some people have work or school, and so have a hard time being online frequently.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 07-30-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420!

Yes but I have been on at nearly every hour of the dayexcept perhaps 6-7am(for me and I doubt all of them appear during that time
Old 07-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Actually, it looks like the most users ever online was 130. And that was two days ago. Not too bad for the regs. *shrug*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ah so it has increased well thats good
Old 07-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quite a few of the many members registered long ago, read and/or posted briefly, then no longer frequented the Downs. There are many reasons - real life time issues, computer problems, loss of interest in Tolkien's books, no more new movies to look forward to, other online interests, etc. Some of those who were regulars a couple of years ago drop in very rarely now. That's life...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dűm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
I was looking through the site waiting for a thread to be responded to and I noticed there are thousands of registered members and yet a certain lack of active members the most members ever online was about 54 or so and the most I eversee online is about 20-30 and there are the regulars but what about the rest that never appear where are they? Why do we have so many members when so few appear?
I remember a certain surge of members and active users when the movies came out...perhaps the fever has worn out for some Bloom lovers and such.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

Which is a very good thing for our eyes and our (remaining) sanity. No more "OMG!!!1!!11 Orli IZ SooO HAWt!!!11". Huzzah!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

Calathanien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Calathanien
i used to come on barrow downs though i never posted to much out of fear! and this is first time i have been on to the barrow downs in a verry long time, due to the fact i havent had time really. so when i read this post it kind of made me laugh cause in a way it applied to me aswell as a lot of other members as i am one of those that rarely comes on and when i do i dont post much if at all
Old 07-31-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

I know what you mean, I'm finally back after a long, long absence. It's a bit weird because the entire site format has changed on me, and most of my friends have left.

That's what new friends are for, eh?
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm relatively new to the Downs, so it's tons of fun for me. As long as there are other Tolkienites out there I don't think I'll get bored of them.

InklingElf, I adore your avatar! Leonard Nimoy is uber-cool. ::sings the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins::
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I miss "The Perky Ent" "Firefoot"... "Bombadil" "H-I" where have you all gone?...
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Aah... Perky Ent... I used to love roleplaying with him

Where now the wights in their barrows? where are the posts that were posted?
Where is the clatter of typing and the green letters flowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days of Barrowdown's glory have gone down behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead threads burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the movie-released days of yore returning?
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

For anyone who cares, I'm quitting the Downs, It's simply not the Nice Place it used to be. To those who are still wonderful I thank You.

Fare Well
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
For anyone who cares, I'm quitting the Downs, It's simply not the Nice Place it used to be. To those who are still wonderful I thank You.

Fare Well
I'm very sorry to hear that, Morsul. I don't know what specifically prompted you to make this decision, but as far as I'm concerned you're a valued part of the Downs and you're welcome back any time.
If your path leads you in a different direction, farewell indeed.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:

Fare Well

You could just quit Werewolf...
Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #17
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:

Fare Well
Aww. I'm sorry you feel like that. I hope that, if you don't feel you can stay, you at least can come back someday.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 AM   #18
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:

Fare Well
Please don't! If you're frustrated with WW, okay, that's understandable (still a pity, after modding a great game yourself!), but quitting the Downs because of that seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We haven't known each other that long or that well, but I'd definitely miss you.
Maybe you just need a break and a little distance, I don't know. If so, take it... but do come back!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'll most likely still visit but my participation will go Way down. although I am frustrated with WW. It was one, far overzealous, personal attack, which prompted this decision. As shocking as it is, it's not from the person I'd expected to push me over the edge.

I thank you all for the thoughts, and I will be back... someday. But at least for a month or so I need to be away.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aw. Defiantly come back!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Not sure what happened in the WW thread, I haven't played in ages, but I hope it's not a reason to leave the BD.

Anyway, hope you return soon from your sabbatical.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #22
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Look at me, I felt the same way and took a five year sabbatical, and now I'm back to stay.
Some things just never leave you, and Barrow-Downs is one of them.
Leave if you must, Morsul, I do not know you well enough to question your decision, but I hope to see you back here someday!
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote