The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

Marky Lazer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Tolkienian Heroes

Hello all, it's been a hell of a long time since I've been here... But good to be back!

I'm about to write a dissertation on Tolkien for my English master; isn't that cool? I'm thinking about comparing some of Tolkien's heroes with old English heroes. For example Beowulf. Some of his action compare to Aragorn and Túrin, too, I think. Anyone has some hints and tips perhaps?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Lazer View Post
Hello all, it's been a hell of a long time since I've been here... But good to be back!

I'm about to write a dissertation on Tolkien for my English master; isn't that cool? I'm thinking about comparing some of Tolkien's heroes with old English heroes. For example Beowulf. Some of his action compare to Aragorn and Túrin, too, I think. Anyone has some hints and tips perhaps?
Aragorn and Beowulf make for a good comparison.

You could do worse than to read this:

http://we-are-not-long-here.blogspot...her-essay.html
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome back, MarkyLazer!

You could also compare Robin Hood to Turin or some more fitting character.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfTheHalflings View Post
Aragorn and Beowulf make for a good comparison.

You could do worse than to read this:

http://we-are-not-long-here.blogspot...her-essay.html
Thanks for that
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome back, Marky - pleased to meet another spectre of Elder Days!

That essay PotH linked to is indeed nice, but it fails to mention Aragorn's mental fight with Sauron via the Palantir and his passing through the Paths of the Dead, both of which I consider his greatest heroic deeds - that's where he comes into his own in my opinion and starts acting like a king even before he was crowned.

Since the essay also mentions Roland, I think he could be more fittingly compared to Boromir than Aragorn (who would then fill the role of Charlemagne), at least as far as their deaths are concerned. But as Roland is a French rather than English hero, I don't know how much help that'll be to you.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

That essay has some useful information, though it comments only on the shortcomings on Beowulf and Roland (have read both), but it fails to see Aragorn's shortcomings. The Path of Dead, for example. It turned out great, but walking off from an important battle, not knowing whether you return is very unkinglike (if that's a word) in the same way Beowulf went off to fight the dragon (he was king already at that point). Beowulf was the best king "ever" and jeopardises the good fortune of his folk going off on such a dangerous feat. Even though Aragorn wasn't king yet, the people already saw him as one, and dashing off into the Path of the Dead, with chances of never returning, is dodgy still, no matter whether it was the right choice in the end (because none could have predicted that at the time he made his decision).
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Interesting thoughts, Marky, but there's another factor involved in the episode of Aragorn and the Paths of the Dead: the prophecy that told him to use them. He may have made a "mistake" as far as superficial military planning was concerned, but the whole War of the Ring was more a spiritual endeavour than a military one, or rather, the military effort was only one part of the whole. When a hero's story is told on a mythical level, his actions go deeper than modern thinking would perceive them.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote