The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
dwarfwarrior
Pile O'Bones

dwarfwarrior has just left Hobbiton.
Sting morgoth

does anyone think that morgoth rose again in a later age?
dwarfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

In the end of the Lost Tales I think Tolkien had written that he rose again, but that nevere happened.

I don't think he did, but always a new type of evil could come.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think he did, because he was cast out into the Void. Later on, "when the guard of the Valar sleeps," he will come back into Arda, and start trying that old take-over-the-world ploy. That is when the Dagor Dagorath "Battle of Battles" will be fought on the plain of Valinor, and Morgoth will be forever vanquished and killed by the sword of Turin Turambar, and all the spirits of Elves and Men will be released from their respective "holding pens" to aid in the fight.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hehe. My first two threads were on exactly this topic. The Dagor Dagorath: the final battle. It talks a good deal about Melkor's return in the Unfinished Tales. If you want the results of my query, look up "Morgoth's Return" or "Anyone for a Good Debate"

Really, this idea fascinates me. I really wish Tolkien could have written the final bit of history.

Iarwain
Old 05-26-2003, 07:27 PM   #5
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I haven't read enough of Tolkien's works to formulate my own concrete opinions about Morgoth's return, but reading Iarwain's early threads make me tend to think that Morgoth will return at the 'end' of the world.
On a different, but maybe related note, in reply to Iarwain saying that he wished Tolkien would have definitively ended the history of ME, I wonder if Tolkien left it undone purposely, so that we could imagine the end, and in imagining it, make it more our own? Also, could Tolkien have left it undone to say something to the effect of "Here's what happened so far. What are you going to do with it?" Are we going to be on the side of 'good' or 'evil'? I think that if Tolkien hadn't left the history open-ended, it would be harder to be engaged in it because the characters would seem less sentient. It's like how a person in one of the threads said that once a book goes to press the characters are 'dead', but when the book is still being written, the characters are more 'alive.' When the history is still in the making, and not closed off, it seems more alive to us.
I'm probably way off, but those are my thoughts. Hope it's understandable and that I didn't completely defeat the purpose of the thread. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 05-26-2003, 07:45 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I agree with you. In the Ainulindalë, it says that Eru ended the vision of Arda right at the Passing of the Elves and the beginning of the Dominion of Men. So even the Valar cannot see all ends. Perhaps even they're in the same situation that we are, not knowing how exactly it is going to turn out.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #7
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

No, Yavanna, I think you're right: that was probably part of the joy (and obsession) in rewriting that Tolkien had. It still bothers me just a tad that someone could still write a conclusion to Middle-Earth. Just the thought of how wonderful that conculsion could be makes me very, well, wistful. I wish Tolkien were still alive.

Iarwain
Old 05-27-2003, 09:04 AM   #8
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think his whole point was to not have an end. I think the "end" was when the ages started to pass, and mortals never again laid eyes on elves, and the last worm was slain.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 AM   #9
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Now that we are discussing Morgoth: Why did Ilúvatar not just destroy him or call him back from earth? Would be easy for him to do it right? It would have saved the people of Ëa a lot of trouble.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Nils
Wight

Nils has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why did Ilúvatar not just destroy him or call him back from earth?

The Music had to become reality. The Music was tainted by Morgoth, so Ea too had to be marred.

Would be easy for him to do it right? It would have saved the people of Ëa a lot of trouble.

This is what the Silmarillion says about the third theme:
Quote:
Then again Iluvatar arose, and the Ainur perceived that his countenance was stern; and he lifted up his right hand and behold! A third theme grew amid the confusion, and it was unlike the others. For it seemed at first soft and sweet, a mere rippling of gentle sounds in delicate melodies; but it could not be quenched and it took to itself power and profundity. And it seemed at last that there were two musics progressing at one time before the seat of Iluvatar, and they were utterly at variance. The one was deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with an immeasurable sorrow from which its beauty chiefly came. The other had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony but rather a clamorous union as of many trumpets braying upon a few notes. And it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern.
The result was a marred creation. Evil did exist, but it helped to create something more beautiful.

I believe a comment made by Mandos to Manwe also answers the question about why evil was allowed
Quote:
'Dear-bought those songs shall be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Ea, and evil yet be good to have been.' But Mandos said, 'And yet remain evil. To me shall Feanor come soon.'

~Matthew 12:37
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote