View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #190
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
First off - Lommy confuses me a lot at the moment.
This looked fishy to me, the need to emphasize her own innocence in a context where it wasn't called for. Some players do that all the time, but I don't think Lommy is one of those so it struck me as odd.
Didn't that mean the interpretation was wrongful? But I'd like to hear about that from Lommy too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Err- what? Not entirely sure I get this point, or rather, I get the point all right but didn't get the framework. Anyhow, yes, if someone started it, I'd say it was Shasta, regardless of that Nogrod suggested it first. I know Shasta is brilliant as a wolf and I wouldn't put something like this past him, but nothing really points that way in my opinion. Unless he and Lommy are in cahoots, but I've not seen anything that would really support that, either. I'm more curious about Eonwe.
The general line of thinking was along the lines of "if WWs used the option to lynch Bom to save somebody, as the person I was replying to suggested, they had not intended that originally, since they merely jumped on Shasta's proposal - before that, nobody of the people seemed wanting to lynch Bom, so it would be just Wolves jumping on innocent Shasta's proposal - unless he is one of them; if he is, now THAT was a bold move..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Thinking about it again has led me to this kind of thoughts:
- Rikae was a logical hunter.
- As can be read from the tally, Eruhen was an ordo and thus not hunted down by Rikae.
- So no hunter-kill taking place means she was not hunting any of the four wolves.
Btw, good to say this aloud and clearly. I had the same in my mind, but somehow I think I didn't formulate it clearly enough: she was not hunting any of the four Wolves. I know it's trivial, but sometimes seeing it stated plainly like that helps a lot. This should also be remembered in future Days when chasing Wolves, we should compare the candidates for lynching with this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
A Hunter hint? Why on earth would a Hunter leave hints?
Indeed. That's what I have said as well.

WARNING: In the end rather unsuccessful attempt to analyze the situation of Rikae's intention and death following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
So... if she hunted Inzil or Boro (two that would have seen most likely by what happened yesterDay), then she failed aka. the one she hunted is not a wolf.

Now it is also quite possible - and maybe even probable - that being the crafty player she was, she was not hunting any of those she suspected aloud.

Whatever the case in regards to the former, it looks fairly certain she tried to make herself look like a hunter (if she thought enough many would have gotten that Looney Tunes hint). So she was luring the wolves to try her (in case the wolves were not in her suspicions so that they dared to try it).

But that would then also mean she was comfortable with her hunting-pick, or just plain taking risks. And we'll probably never know whom she picked.

*AArrggh*
This is basically the same point as to which I have arrived above with this "if she knew they knew she knew they knew..." It is really messy. Okay, let's try to rephrase it - or "re-act" the scene once again. Since we know Rikae did not die, she must NOT have hunted a Wolf. Also, the Wolves obviously DID kill her. So what has happened here must have been one of the following. I will be using Boro as the example, although of course it is by no means the only option - the Wolves might not have gotten the hint, they might have interpreted it differently, they might have thought she was hunting Zil or whoever else was the possibility, but if I consider the hint, then at least I'd say Boro was what Rikae probably MEANT it to be; otherwise I have no idea):

A - Boro is not a Wolf
Rikae: Listen, people, I want you to think I am hunting Boro. (she indeed does so)
Wolves: Hahaha, stupid hunter, Boro is not one of us. *safely got rid of one Gifted*

B - Boro is a Wolf
Rikae: Listen, people, I want you to think I am hunting Boro. (she bluffs and actually hunts somebody else)
Wolves: We should not attack her. She is hunting one of us.
Clever Wolf: She is obviously bluffing. Let's kill her anyway.
OR
Stupid Wolf: Who cares. Let's gamble.

Now the more messy part would be analysing what Rikae actually had in mind when she did that. Because:

1. Rikae thinks Boro is a Wolf
Rikae: I am going to give Boro the hint that I am the hunter. He won't try to kill me and I will survive one more Night. (does not make any sense, in my opinion! Hunter is not here to survive, but to be killed!)
OR
Rikae: I am going to give Boro the hint that I am the hunter. He is a stupid Wolf, so he will say "yay, let's go kill Hunter!" and I will kill him. (makes even less sense, Boro would have to be completely crazy to do that)
OR
Rikae: I am going to... (you know the stuff)... He is a clever Wolf, so he will think I am bluffing and in fact not hunting him, he will try to kill me and I will kill him. (somewhat over-the-top, I'd say, though still better than the previous possibilities)

2. Rikae thinks Boro is not a Wolf
Rikae: I am going to give the hint... Wolves will see it and think I am hunting Boro. They will try to kill me in order to frame him and I hope I pick for my Night kill one of them. (would make a bit more sense than all the previous, but still it is rather mad)

So with all this, my conclusion would be that most likely it was something completely different, like Rikae pretending to be Seer or I have no idea what the Angband is that about.

Brain exercise. Thank you for your attention. If you did not make any sense of it, don't worry, not sure if it's very important in the end. I just tried to clarify the matter for myself, not very successfuly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I meant if Lommy (or Eonwe, and/or someone else acquiring significant suspicion yesterday) is a wolf, then the pack could use their night kills to divert suspicion away from one of them.

For first kills, the "little to no trail kill" seems to be more popular these days. However, Rikae isn't one. She was involved in majority of the days action, and had some fairly strongly stated opinions. So, as Pom correctly rephrased it could have been a "Hey look, this person would have a reason to kill Rikae!" and thus get suspicion dropped on a wolf who was getting votes/suspicions on Day 1.

I may have gotten too wordy and confusing, but essentially I wanted to say that it doesn't have to be an either/or..."They killed her because they thought she was seer/gifted/a threat" OR "They killed her to divert suspicions away from one of their own"...it could very well be both.
Ok, yes, I think I got it, thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
What did it accomplish? Well, maybe nothing on the surface, because Bom didn't really say anything. But what did it accomplish for the wolves? Not much other than insure one of their own wasn't lynched. I mean it sucks for Bom, and eventually we have to put real spies in the real noose. Maybe I'm strange, but I happen to think, if not a wolf, than any Day 1 that doesn't lynch a gifted to help us more than the wolves. The longer gifteds stay around, use their gifts, and gather info, the more of a chance they can flip the tide against the wolves.
Note: this makes Boro sound better. It sounds genuine and does not sound like something a Wolf would say.

Ugh. I have been again writing this over a long and often interrupted period of time (and that includes this terrible and unfruitful brain exercise in the middle)... will take a break for a while and do something useful elsewhere...

EDIT: x-ed with Greenie, Nog, and Eönwë
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote