View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 04:58 AM   #17
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yeah, I guess it was hard for Merry to be fully aware of the situation at the time. But here's a thought: do you think that the orc drink had anything to do with Pippin using his wits to drop the brooch? It says in the book that Pippin's wits were wide awake when he drank the drink, and that was right before he dropped the brooch. I think that it also might have had to do with Pippin running to the side and leaving clear signs for Strider. (Oh yeah, Akhtene, even if a stupid child could have dropped a sign, would they be smart enough to run aside to leave fresh and clear signs? I think not)

I also think that the ent drink was partly responsible for Pippin's 'growing up' (not just physically). I think that it could have had some long term effects. And maybe the orc drink did too, but there really is nothing to suggest long term effects of the drinks; its just a thought.

I think that at the moment, the orc drink helped Pippin's wits. But I think that it might have been an 'awakening' for Pippin. I still think that Pippin began to 'grow up' from the moment he left the shire. But when he dropped the brooch, I think that's when it really picked up. When he left the shire, his 'growing up' was like water trickeling down a stream, as the journey progressed, it gradually got bigger, but it was still small. When he dropped the brooch, it was like it became a raging river or rapids. Never had Pippin been a captive before. I think that he 'woke up' right there. He truly saw the danger he was in. He had always been in the protection of others. Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir. Before the became captives, Boromir was defending them, and even then, so was Merry, as he cut off several orc limbs. But after that, they got knocked out and found themselves as captives. For the first time, Pippin was alone (with the exception of Merry). He knew that there was no one to protect him or to try anything. Merry couldn't, he was out cold or just extremely exhausted. So for the first time, it was up to Pippin. Pippin realized this.
Quote:
'What good have I been? Just a nuisance: a passenger, a piece of luggage. And now I have been stolen and I am just a piece of luggage for the Orcs.I hope Strider or someone will come and claim us! But ought I to hope for it?Won't that throw out all the plans? I wish I could get free!
Pippin always felt like he was worthless, especially after he did something stupid. He wanted to be more than just 'extra baggage'. So Pippin decided to do something himself, instead of having others do it. He used to fool around and not pay attention to most things around him, but for the first time, his mind was focused. He listened attentively to the orcs and when one was killed, he took advantage of the situation and cut the rope on his wrists. After that, he had some orc drink (which I think helped) and left the brooch and the clear signs.

Pippin had done a good deal of 'growing up' there. Big parts of 'growing up' include maturing, making decisions for yourself, and being on your own; alone, or independent. So Pippin went through some big changes at that time.

So next time, think twice before you call Pippin an idiot or say that he didn't start growing up until Denethor, thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote