View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #130
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivriniel View Post
The Choice of the Peredhil went beyond Earendil. It went to Elwing, and to any, I believe. Elwing had a very different lineage. Dior took an Elven wife from Doriath and he was born *after* Luthien was restored to life as a *mortal*. Earendil and Elwing were the first Half Elven to be formerly gifted with the Choice of the Peredhil after a specific decree and intervention from Valinor, that did not circumscribe its bounds to Earendil's lineage. See also, below, my comments about Luthien.
Yes I know, which is why I said it was a special gift to their family ALONE, because of their sacrifice. It was not something, which would be given to any other Peredhil again.
Quote:
No. The Choice of the Peredhil was not bound to a specific lineage, such as Earendil. I suspect that in Dol Amroth, the reason for no immortality, was for choice to belong to the lines of Men.
Except it was. Only the line of Earendil and Elwing was given a choice, because of their actions. In every other case the descendants would remain mortal like Dol Amroth.
Quote:
Not quite. She died of grief for love of Beren. Mandos brought them both back to life, and granted Luthien mortality. She died, as a mortal, and had two sojourns to the Halls of Mandos. The first was after she died of grief, the second when she died after living with Beren, for a time, in Beleriand. They had Dior, who, I really do not see as someone with the life of the Eldar, given what we know became of Luthien.

In any case, all this occurred before the Choice of the Peredhil was formalised, in Valinor, after Earendil's arrival there.
Luthien was given the chance to be mortal, but she remained an elf. I am aware she died, but she too because of the beauty of her son was given a choice. She could dwell in bliss in Valinor or return to Middle-Earth with Beren.

She may have been mortal, but she remained an Elf.

Dior is a strange case, because there had been no judgement made at the point he died. This is clear since Mandos and Ulmo question whether Earendil is a Noldor or a Man.

Dior lived most his life with the elves. He ruled Doriath and married an elf, which is not counted amongst the union of Elves and Men. When laws have been established like with the case of Imrazor and Mithrellas then you know what you are going into. Not so with Dior and I like to think he would have been given a choice.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote