View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Tolkien wrote these descriptions in reaction to an illustration by Pauline Baynes. The full contents haven't been published yet, but some of it appears in Unfinished Tales and The History Of The Hobbit, along with Hammond and Scull's book.

This source was not much described in Unfinished Tales for example, because until relatively recently Pauline Baynes was still alive, and Tolkien's comments were inspired by his seeming dislike of part of her illustration.
Thanks for that.
Quote:
I don't think we have to drop all the way down to 6 feet. Another late note (published in Unfinished Tales), states that the 'Teleri were in general somewhat less in build and stature than the Noldor.'
That's the same note where he says that Celeborn was tall for a Teleri and gives the meaning of his name. This is from a very late account of Galdriel/Celeborn's history.

Somewhat less in build is ambiguous, considering a little less in height for Boromir is aroudn 2 inches.

What we can be certain of is even a very tall Telerian Prince is only about the same height as the tallest of the Noldor women. This does indicate quite more than a couple of inches difference.
Quote:
I would say that if Tolkien desired the Eldar to be normally around seven feet tall (if this was the later text compared to the 'PB description' that is), he probably would have written more specific descriptions of characters to fall in line with that.
This is true, nothing was put in print yet, but all the sources seem to have been written at the same time and the account in the Unfinished Tales is certainly the most detailed.
Quote:
Tolkien was not bound to make Galadriel 6 foot 4 for example, and I agree, if Celeborn was of like height with her he would be too short if ODAM was in play. Technically Tolkien had only published that the Lady was no less tall than the Lord. But somewhat less [for the Teleri] could be 6 foot 2 or 3 compared to 6 foot 6 and taller, with Celeborn still taller than the average Teler but shorter than the average Noldo.
This is possible, there is no reason to go as low as 6ft, but is being just a couple of inches taller than the norm enough to be given the name praising your height?
I would say no.

As you said he could easily change Galadriel's height, but it seems the more detailed account.
Quote:
And JRRT published that Aragorn was the tallest of the Fellowship, as already noted (and something later about the Sea-kings of old as well). The description of Boromir might arguably imply that he was taller than all others in the Company excepting Aragorn, but I'm not sure this is necessarily certain...

... if I recall correctly the context is about ploughing through snow, which is why Boromir's broader build is noted too, but Legolas is not concerned here in any case, as he can run on top of the snow.

Tolkien noted that Legolas was as tall as a young tree
Yes and he mentioned how Legolas was immensely strong too.

It's true that the particular passage strongly indicates, even very strongly indicates that Boromir was the second tallest, but it does not confirm this fact for certain.

Though one thing it does confirm is Aragorn and Boromir were stronger. Legolas appears to agree with him on this matter too, either that or he is being very lazy.

All this does confirm is that even after their waining the Numenoreans were stronger than the Sindar, but the Sindar as a whole are weaker than the Noldor.

However, the House of Hador are stronger than the Noldor Princes.

EDIT

Off topic, but it is interesting that Christopher Tolkien speculates that Galadriel and Celeborn may have been present when Feanor's sons sacked Doriath and actually played a part in helping Elwing escape. If this is the case then I wonder what Galadriel's feelings on Feanor was then.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote