View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I would. I thought he was possibly the least convincing. McKellen on screen is always McKellen to me. He never seems to disappear into his character. I think he is better on stage. What works in a theatre context looks very mannered to me projected on a giant screen. But then, the Radio adaptation has a hold on my heart in the way that the films no doubt have on others of a younger generation.

Some of the fim actors I prefer to the radio ones .. Sean Bean (despite the accent - seemed weird that he spoke Yorkshire when his father and brother spoke Oxford english), Viggo Mortensen, Cate Blanchett, others as good but Michael Hordern as Gandalf and Holm, Nighy and Woodthorpe as Frodo Sam and gollum are unbeatable for me...
I got the boxed set of BBC Radio's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings on CD for Christmas this year. I have never heard them before, and I am about halfway through The Hobbit right now. It's quite good. I am excited to listen to LOTR and see how the voice actors compare to the movie. Dear old Ian Holm I know will be wonderful.

Elrond is one of my favorite characters in all the Midde-Earth canon. Hugo Weaving is an amazing actor and really does look the part. I don't think he was miscast, but I do think the part for him was written badly. Elrond started out grouchy and cranky in LOTR and just got worse. By ROTK he was the typical creepy overprotective dad who chases his daughter's boyfriends away and convinces her to leave. Not very well done in my opinion.