View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by garm
It seems to me that if one is going to presume to write something on a wiki, then it's up to that person to get it right. To come to your next point; the fact that folk do work from memory, or guess, is not a safe basis for copying bits from other wikis.
I didn't say it was, or that it's not an issue; I'm just saying, I don't think people generally make things up on purpose. The problem is too much garbled copying, plus the fact that the second-level source that starts the whole thing off often does sound authoritative, giving chapter and verse for everything... but may leave out fairly important points, such as that it's actually from a first draft quoted in "Appendix B, Note 5: Other versions of the text".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
I agree with Gram that one should read the books before going to write a wiki article. But with such Middle-Earth questions as discussed here that would restrict the authors heavely.
Mmmn... but would that be a bad thing? I mean, mostly people consult these things with the assumption that the author knows something they don't.