View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 08:38 PM   #4
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

That's a good question but I also think that he did fall in love with her. If he didn't fall in love with her and just did it out of respect, then it was nice of him. But I really think that he fell in love with her. However, he might have exaggerated just to form a bond between him and the elves, and especially Legolas. And since he had despised elves, you'd think that he wouldn't like her all that much, but I think that once he saw her it was more of a shock to him. He must have thought, 'how could elves be so bad when they are this beautiful.' It might have made her seem even more beautiful. Galadriel might also seem more beautiful due to her elven ring, but that's besides the point.

Tolkien might have wanted to show that people can put aside their differences to work together. Legolas of the elves, and Gimli of the Dwarves did, and it showed them how much of a friend they could be to each other. Tolkien showed this through the Battle of the Five Armies, as dwarves and elves united against the goblins. Also he might have did this to show a clear and present danger. They must focus on the the bigger and more vital problem: the goblins. And in LotR, the clear and present danger was the ring.

Well there are some thoughts for you. Heres a funny one. Maybe since dwarves had such ugly women, Gimli could have thought that Galadriel was way more beautiful than she actually was. And maybe because their wives were so ugly, they'd rather live in the dark, than see how ugly their wives were. And that's why they lived in the mountains. Just kidding. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote