View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #22
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was somewhat disappointed with the movie-Frodo, as he wasn't anything like the book-Frodo. As stated earlier I have no problem with Elijah Wood, but think that his character was poorly written.

I will limit my comments to the movie-Frodo, and note that this is all from memory, so apologies for what I have confused etc.

I was okay with Frodo up through Rivendell, with the exceptions of his actions on Weathertop ("Put it out!" Waaa!) and that he didn't confront the Nazgul at the Fords (that was PJ). I especially liked the part where he accepts the quest, though Gandalf's reaction to Frodo was better.

After that, it's Frodo as victim-baggage. He doesn't know where to go, has to have Aragorn get the Ring from Boromir, gets a new 'do' from the same (just like a little child), gets caught by the Watcher, speared by a troll (though he did use his sword - what was PJ thinking? ), tossed across the gap in the bridge (caught in someones's arms like a babe), dragged away crying after Gandalf falls, outside walks away teary eyed, gets Galadriel-induced indigestion, almost gets sucked into her Mirror. Confronts Boromir, which was good, and hides from Uruk Hai, which is understandable but again if it weren't for Merry and Pippin, he'd still be hiding behind a tree.

He saves Sam, and FOTR has Sam and Frodo going off to Mordor.

In TTT, he falls from a rope, complains about the weather, whines about being lost, falls into the Marshes (luckily Gollum was there), gets captured by Faramir, whines a lot to Faramir about being 'let go,' almost hands over the Ring to a flying Nazgul (good thing that Sam was there) then is released by Faramir after Sam says some magic words.

Frodo did help in the initial fight with Gollum, and he did save Sam at the Black Gate.

In ROTK, Frodo whines about never returning, almost goes to Minas Morgul (good thing he wasn't alone), thinks that his best friend eats too much, gives Sam the boot because Sam is just being too harsh to Frodo's new big-eyed buddy, has an anxiety attack in Cirith Gorgul (not that I'd be really calm), is momentarily helpless as he is stranded in webs, gets bitten and wrapped, is almost killed by an Orc (good thing that Sam showed up), is whiny when forced to march with orcs, and struggles onto Mount Doom, gets immobilized by the Sauron searchlight, gets to Mount Doom and decides not to pitch the ring, gets saved yet again by Sam from taking a lava bath.

Liked where he's Frodo again at the end of all things, and he's okay in the Green Dragon, and the end was okay.

Note that many of these scenes are exactly from the book, yet the PJ version has me seeing Frodo as whiny, helpless and in need of a lot of assistance. Where's the noble Frodo from the book? He seemed to be more of a leader and also seemed to have more resolve.

My long rambling point is that I rarely see movie-Frodo 'in charge, taking the lead, saving himself and heroic.'

I can't get the book line out of my head where in ROTK Gandalf says to the hobbits something like, "that's what you were trained for..." in regards to cleaning up the Shire. To me, then, Frodo after his return is more like Gandalf, the wise one who does not fight but guides people in the right direction. He grew as a results of all of the trials that he had to overcome. Movie Frodo did not seem to grow as much, but was more like 'glad that that's over with.'
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote