Thread: Sam and Smeagol
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 AM   #18
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yes, maybe Sam was remorseful, but it was still too late:
Quote:
The fleeting moment had passed, beyond recall.
Quote:
If I can remember correctly, until Gollum betrayed them, that was the meanest Sam had ever been to Gollum. Mostly he just muttered to himself and Frodo about not trusting him, mostly when Gollum was "Sneaking" around
Sam has said to Smeagol's face "You nasty treacherous creature," "It's round your neck this rope ought to go, and a tight noose too," "you stink," "old noser," "Smeagol'll get into real true hot water, when this water boils, if he don't do as he's asked...Sam'll put his head in it." And those are just after searching a little. It wasn't just that one time and it wasn't because Sam made a mistake. Yes, I don't think Gollum would have tried to touch Frodo if Sam were awake, but say Sam was awake and Gollum was not aware that Sam was present, Sam would react the same way anyways. Sam bullied Smeagol all the time, and although I don't think the last was the cruelest by itself, I just think it had the worst outcome at the given time and circumstance.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote