The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lotr trivial pursuit (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10860)

paavo 06-29-2004 05:41 AM

Lotr trivial pursuit

does someone happen to know if there are any Lord of the rings trivial pursuits out there for sale. I have only found movie-based trivial pursuits but I'd like to have one that is based on the books. any chance I'll found one?

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh 06-29-2004 06:55 AM

Now there's an idea

I sincerely doubt it. I expect that to use the books as a basis, one would need the approval of the Tolkien estate, and it's both simpler and more profitable to buy the rights from New Line Cinema to produce it as film merchandising. That's a pity, because Tolkien probably would have been quite happy to see trivia about his books used in a game, provided that it was accurate.

You could always make your own question cards from the books, but then you'd have to give yourself enough time to forget the answers for it to be any fun.

Incidentally, years before the films came out, I saw a 'pocket' travel version of Trivial Pursuit. As per the tradition, there was a quotation on the side of the box:
Quote:

"What has it got in its pocketses?" Gollum

The Saucepan Man 06-29-2004 08:54 AM

I did once see in the shops a Tolkien trivia book that looked, from a cursory glance, to be based on the books rather than the films. Also, there are a number of board games on the market based on the books (both The Hobbit and LotR). Presumably, in these instances, the rights were available at a cost sufficient to make it worthwhile producing and marketing the items in question. If so, then I don't see why a quiz game based on the books alone would be out of the question.

Any budding entrepreneurs out there? ;)

Isowen 08-05-2004 12:39 PM

I've seen a book like that but not the actual game. It's just full of questions about lotr. There's also one about Harry Potter. It's hard to find but you should find it in most bookstores. It is called: So you think you know the trilogy?
I didn't look at it, as I happened to be in a rush at the time, but I assume it is about the books. I think it was in Ottakars or Waterstones.

Lalwendė 08-05-2004 02:20 PM

I have an old battered paperback Tolkien Quiz Book which is fantastic, but I think it will be well out of print by now. However, I did find this new quiz book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/000716971X/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/202-1381944-9303023

I am tempted myself, it could be good for long train journeys.

The one Isowen mentions is often on sale at WHSmith, and it's also pretty good.

The Saucepan Man 10-25-2004 07:31 AM

Here's a good LotR trivia game

By way of answer to the original question, I was, the other week, faced in my regular games shop with both the film-based trivia game (produced by the original Trivial Pursuit people) and a LotR trivia game based entirely on the book (produced by Fantasy Flight Games). No prizes for guessing which one I went for ...

... so I am now the proud owner of a book-based LotR trivia game. And I am pleased to report that it is actually a very good and well-thought out game. Its major plus point is the artwork, which is by Ted Nasmith. The game board comprises the main locations that Frodo passes through on his journey to Mount Doom superimposed upon a gorgeous aerial view of the route followed (cleverly angled so that Bag End at the beginning is level with Mount Doom at the end).

The aim is to move through each location using three types of tokens to move (travelling, weapon and ring). At each location, you either have to answer a question based on the events in the book or pick up a tile (which involves either gaining gifts to help you on your journey or challenges which you must overcome). A correct answer to your question gains you tokens and allows you either to move to the next location or to stop and rest to gain yet more movement tokens. But, if you answer incorrectly, you have to go back to your starting location or to the last "haven" (the "havens" are Rivendell, Lothlorien and Ithilien).

Each question gives a number of multiple choice answers. Depending on how it is asked, each question can be either easy, medium or hard. For easy questions, the player asking gives three of the mulitple choice answers (ignoring a fourth bracketed answer). For medium ones, all four multiple choice answers are given. And for difficult questions, the player asking gets to choose the question that they think is the most difficult from a choice of three on each card. The questions start out easy but become medium as the player nears Mount Doom. Difficult questions only arise as part of challenges.

The questions are actually quite difficult, unless you know the book inside out. However, since they are multiple choice, anyone who has a reasonable knowledge of the book (ie most of us here) is unlikely to be overly troubled by them. Happily, however, progress in the game is not solely dependent on answering questions correctly but also requires some strategy in deciding when to go on and when to stop and accumulate movement tokens (which are also required for some of the challenges). So, the game does present a challenge even to those of us who are very familiar with the book.

The winner is the first player to reach Mount Doom and complete the relevant challenge (which involves having plenty of ring tokens and answering one or more difficult questions).

So, if you are interested in acquring a LotR trivia game, I would heartily recommend this one. There are details of it here at Fantasy Flight Games' website.

Nimrodel_9 10-25-2004 11:21 AM

That is so cool, Saucepan Man!
We wants one. :(

paavo 10-25-2004 12:26 PM

thanks a lot everybody. this is much appreciated. :) *goes of to buy the game!*

Ireth Sirfalas 10-27-2004 02:45 AM

my sister bought it, for the books, so i know its out there somewhere!!!

Sapphire_Flame 10-27-2004 09:39 AM

<==The Lofty Tree of Gondor

Ah, we wants it, precious... Thanks for that link, Saucepan! That sounds like a very cool game. *sits and hates being poor* Wish I could get it!

I'm working on an unofficial Tolkien Bookverse trivia game, based on the Trivial Pursuit setup. I am, however, having trouble thinking up questions. The catagories are Good Characters, Bad Characters, Places, Objects, The Professor, and Fanfiction (or Other), if anyone wants to lend me a hand. If you think of any questions, please e-mail or PM me! :D

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~

Orominuialwen 10-29-2004 10:51 PM

I don't have the trivia game, but I do have the regular Fantasy Flight LotR game, which my brother and I recieved as a joint graduation present with my brother from a friend. It's quite fun!

lotrknight 02-05-2005 02:20 PM

i have the tolkien trivia book :D