The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Tolkien In Memoriam

Sadly, names long familiar to Tolkien fans pass on to the West. Last year, Karen Wynn Fonstad died; now I have just read that Tim Hildebrandt, artist and illustrator (often together with his brother Greg) passed away on June 11. My source for this information is the Tolkien Gateway; a memorial page can be found here.

Certainly not all of us (including myself) approve wholeheartedly with all of the Hildebrandt brothers' Tolkien images; however, they have been instrumental in visualizing persons, places and events of Middle-earth especially for calendars. For this we owe him our respect and honor his memory.

Thank you, Tim Hildebrandt!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am sorry to hear this. It is amazing how much alike the brothers looked. You can see this if you click on the memorial page.

The Hildebrandt's vision of Tolkien was not my own, but I can appreciate the passion that drove the brothers to create and their obvious concern for each other.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
It is amazing how much alike the brothers looked. You can see this if you click on the memorial page.
Yes, I was surprised to read that they were twins - identical, from the looks of their childhood pictures on that memorial page. That could account for their closeness and collaboration.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
That is sad. I've enjoyed their works when I discovered them a couple of years ago. I have the book Greg and Tim Hildebrandt: The Tolkien Years written by Greg's son Gregory Jr.

The book is a fun look into not only the brother's art and thought process but also a look into living as a child with them. I would not have minded being one of their children! Family and friends alike were part of the creative process and the partying afterwards!

My heartfelt condolences to them.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Silmaril

I think the Hildebrandt brothers were some of the very first to help popularise Middle earth with their interpretations of Tolkien's world and characters--and they did so with integrity and dedication. I'm saddened to learn that Tim passed away, and particularly at such a relatively young age.

Like Child and Estelyn, my 'vision' of Middle earth was not like that of the brothers. Yet, yet . . . .

Once I saw the postcard of 'Gandalf' which Tolkien found on his Swiss mountain hiking vacation, I gained a better appreciation of how the Hildebrandt brothers saw in Middle earth.

Edit: Last year also saw the death of Tolkien's biographer, Humphrey Carpenter. The passing of the first generation of Tolkien fans?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 06-18-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Last year also saw the death of Tolkien's biographer, Humphrey Carpenter. The passing of the first generation of Tolkien fans?
Really?! His book is what led me to the Hildebrandts.

My two favorites are Goldberry and The Unexpected Party. Both are very homey, welcoming places to be even if Bilbo is a bit overwhelmed. Ironically enough, I don't like Rivendell-the last homely house because that is so not elvish, Keebler elfish maybe.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
I remember when i was young and playing Magic: The Gathering that i first heard of the Hildebrant's as artists, i liked there drawings in the cards and loved it when i found out they also drew pictures out of Tolkiens works.