The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Frodo is graphic designer living in LA?!

Yes, I did say Frodo.

Did anybody else catch the NPR commentary by Heather Havrilesky yesterday? Evidently there is a thriving outpost of hobbitdom in southern California.

But do feel a bit slighted and deeply regret the choice of the word Cromagnon to describe the brow of such a noble and heroic hobbit. And I do not view the kuduk as unnaturally lumpy, hairy or overly fond of cheese dip or television. Do you?

click on All Things Considered audio
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That was indeed a rather... how do I put this... interesting commentary. I also disagree with the whole Cro-magnon label, but to each his own, I suppose.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, its like a wine and cheese party in Minas Tirith, but without the good manners! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And I think Frodo would know more Elvish than the 7 foot tall redhead, Elvish as she might appear to the untrained eye...also the Cro-Magnon brow and hairy palms were SO wrong! Maybe it is how certain denizens of LA see hobbits?

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. This hobbit was into David Lynch before he became a byword for studied yet organic weirdness, not to say the label doesn't fit...
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:00 AM   #4
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Quote:
Maybe it is how certain denizens of LA see hobbits
One can only hope it is from the viewpoint of the tall leather clad ones! (In other words the minority). Otherwise I might have to consider registering a complaint with NPR for promoting racial sterotyping. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2004, 05:05 AM   #5
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Beren
It seems your question got lost in the shuffle, but I will post the copy of my reply, in hopes that it explains a bit.

When I try to listen to the commentary, it first looks as though it is loading an Adobe Reader file or something, but if you wait it starts trying to connect (realplayer) and gives a message that it can’t connect to the server, but if you click OK and hang on it plays anyway. All this takes a bit of time.

What it is basically about is average folk who move to LA and are condescending about Hollywood, but secretly feel they are going to win an Oscar. Sort of like the people who feel they will win the lottery even though they don’t buy a ticket, she says.

Eventually, these people get invited to a Hollywood party, populated by tall beautiful and often black leather clad personages…. Ms. Havrilesky then goes on to describe the party and starts referring to the average citizen attending as a graphic designer who is feeling like a hobbit, and still later on as Frodo (who she describes as having the Cro-Magnon brow and hairy hands). And so on, until I began talking to myself in the car while listening. Finally she talks about how the hobbits learn to avoid such parties, having their own, were they can wear outdated clothes and have cheese dip while watching the Oscars.

Needless to say, it left me wondering who else heard this and how to send a copy of the good professor’s books to the poor woman!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:49 AM   #6
chucks888
Pile O'Bones

chucks888 has just left Hobbiton.
How strange! I've never heard this and I'm from L.a.
chucks888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:03 AM   #7
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Ah, our own insider, eh? Greetings chucks888! And if you bump into any hobbits today, please give them my regards.