The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2004, 07:22 AM   #81
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

At what time looked Firiel out?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:25 AM   #82
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
3 A.M.

Ah, I was asking about short messages in your lst post to "minor works quotes" threads, now I see what you meant (the whole second paragraph typed in defiance of 'your message is too short' warning)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:34 AM   #83
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Yeah, correct answer in three minutes!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:55 AM   #84
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

We try harder

next to try one's teeth on, than:

Name the only child to be sorry at Cook's (King's) departure

Old 03-22-2004, 02:08 PM   #85
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That was Tim, Nokes' great-grandson and the recipient of the faery star.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #86
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

exactly

Old 03-23-2004, 03:14 AM   #87
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Tom Bombadil isn't the only character of Tolkien's who has a blue feather in his hat - who is the other one?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-23-2004, 04:59 AM   #88
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Artaxerxes that'd be, the one to turn Rover into a toy

Old 03-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #89
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the one, HI - your turn!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:34 AM   #90
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

The person I have in mind was very conscientious and prudent, and was meeting his engagements in a good timely manner. Said qualities were used by a lot of other persons as an excuse to avoid discharging their own obligations.

Name all of them

Old 03-26-2004, 07:15 AM   #91
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

As a hint:

The duties of the first person should have been (and have been, too, usually) fulfilled by Christmas

Old 03-27-2004, 03:59 AM   #92
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That sounds like it could be Father Christmas, but I haven't gotten a copy of the Father Christmas Letters yet, so I don't know. I can't think of anyone in the other minor works who fits that description...
Old 03-28-2004, 10:59 PM   #93
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

No, it is not Father Christmas. Additional hint:

Persons (they all were males, btw) of the second category were using first person's alleged (male too) touchiness to avoid going on a quest (as it is)

Old 03-29-2004, 02:53 AM   #94
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for the clues - I finally figured out where to find the person you are looking for: It's the Royal Cook in Farmer Giles of Ham, who made "a Mock Dragon's Tail of cake and almond-paste, with cunning scales of hard icing-sugar." The knights who were chosen for the duty of hunting the dragon and bringing home its tail took the easy way out and merely carried the Mock Dragon's Tail into the hall on Christmas Eve.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:13 AM   #95
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

right you are, your ladyship pray proceed

Old 03-29-2004, 06:20 AM   #96
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

In which of Tolkien's non-Middle-earth "minor works" is the earth flat?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:24 AM   #97
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

er, Mr. Bliss?

Old 03-29-2004, 06:29 AM   #98
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Not that I know of, HI - I haven't gotten 'Mr. Bliss' yet. I'm thinking of a different story.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:44 AM   #99
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

it was [un]lucky guess, I don't remember if earth and its shape is mentioned in Mr. Bliss at all

Well, I have to admitt I do not have an idea (now at least). Gotta make a bit of searching instead of uttering guesses, I suppose

later

Old 03-31-2004, 06:56 AM   #100
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Roverandom.

The moon dog claims to have fallen from the edge, and the White Dragon has flown from the edge as well.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:00 AM   #101
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

um. what a shame (I mean, for me)

Good work there, dear Squatter

Old 03-31-2004, 07:03 AM   #102
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Absolutely right, Squatter, and nice to see you here again!

Wouldn't it be fascinating to see what Roverandom did?
Quote:
...waterfalls fell over the world's edge and dropped straight into space.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:06 AM   #103
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Our planet was definitely designed with practicality in mind rather than more aesthetic considerations. It's nice to be (more or less) back.

In which year is The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth set?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:56 AM   #104
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Wow, a question I can answer.

It takes place in the year 991.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #105
Spectre of Decay

It certainly does, being set just after the battle of Maldon in August of that year.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #106
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
I can't come up with a question right now, and I'm going away for a week tomorrow, so anyone can have it.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:58 AM   #107
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

OK, then I'll pose a question to keep the thread going: Who rode a bicycle?
Old 04-03-2004, 08:57 AM   #108
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Niggle?
Old 04-03-2004, 04:03 PM   #109
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, Evisse - as far as I know, the only mention of a bicycle is in Leaf by Niggle. Carry on!
Old 04-04-2004, 04:39 AM   #110
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Yay - I finally get to ask a minor works question!

What was the name of Farmer Giles' wife?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:11 AM   #111
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Her name was Agatha, and I love the description of her!
Quote:
His wife made a queen of great size and majesty, and she kept a tight hand on the household accounts. There was no getting around Queen Agatha - at least it was a long walk.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:54 AM   #112
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

lol :D

Correct!
Old 04-05-2004, 06:53 AM   #113
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Who encounters someone called 'Dumbledor'? (No, I'm not asking about Harry Potter! )
Old 04-05-2004, 03:33 PM   #114
Spectre of Decay

More than one dumbledore (bumblebee):
Quote:
He battled with the Dumbledores,
the Hummelhorns and Honeybees
That would be the unnamed hero of Errantry, from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #115
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the one, Squatter - a "passenger, a messenger, a mariner"... Go ahead with the next!
Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #116
Spectre of Decay

The sea-dog in Roverandom is based on an historical canine companion. What was its name and who was its master?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:18 AM   #117
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That was Vige, King Olaf of Norway's dog, taken from the 13th-century saga Heimskringla. When defeated in a sea battle, he leapt from his ship, but according to legend, did not drown, swimming to safety. His ship was called the Long Serpent or Long Worm - the mer-dog's master had a ship called the Red Worm. (Thanks to the notes written by Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond in my edition of the book!)
Old 04-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #118
Spectre of Decay

So soon? We must have the same edition. That is, of course, the correct answer.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:53 AM   #119
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

In one minor work, monks are mentioned. Where are they located?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 AM   #120
Spectre of Decay

The abbey church on the island of Ely, now in Cambridgeshire.