The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #161
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Volo is on 8, Boro on 3, Gil on 4. There are now 3 retractable votes for Volo, 2 for Boro and 3 for Gil, and one more other vote to acount for.

So errrrr, what does that mean, on the Swingometer? Is it a Hung Parliament yet?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #162
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh bother ..Mr Zbaglione ..I have just reread Volo post 70" Yup, I'm the wolf, lynch me!" Sometimes when people say they are wolves they are ..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #163
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mith - If you're suspicious of Volo, then I support your voting for him.

There is no way of knowing whether or not Boro is the Hunter until he is dead...which is pretty useless, unless he takes a Wolf with him.

And I was mostly explaining my vote. Besides, Boro was already safe when I voted: Volo already had...6 votes? He was up on Boro by two?

At any rate...I have been cross-posting with people like crazy...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #164
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My head hurts (literally) can someone do the scores on the doors before migraine sets in...

Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #165
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Volo is on 7, Boro on 3, Gil on 5. There are now 2 retractable votes for Volo, 2 for Boro and 3 for Gil, and still we await Naria...

Mithalwen, your defence of Boro is amazing!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #166
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Just when I thought it was over, it's Volo 7 - Gil 5.

Come on, people!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #167
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I just got back and finished reading the posts. Not much time left to comment, but Volo does look very weird, and what's more, I don't appreciate the sarcastic digs at me. Maybe I'm not the world's best player, but you don't need to be so nasty about it.
--Anguirel
++Volo
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #168
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
What I mean - he says I would be a bad wolf. Apparently, and especially considering my earlier comments, that means I'm just a lousy ww player.
That hurt.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #169
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Mith - If you're suspicious of Volo, then I support your voting for him.

There is no way of knowing whether or not Boro is the Hunter until he is dead...which is pretty useless, unless he takes a Wolf with him.
To be fair , Volo - I have never played with but he seems the most overtly suspicious of anyone - but Gil always worries me. AS I say both are messing with my head.

As for defending Boro...well he is the person I talk to most on the Downs- friendship may have clouded my judgement or help me read him better .. as Durelin says - I can't be absolutely certain til he is dead.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #170
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Concerning Volo (some more):
Quote:
I wanted to vote Durelin for a completely useless post, a grudge and to help Boromir, but now having read Boromir's posts better I see he's pretty suspicious.
I don't understand this. Who wants to vote completely uselessly? Does this mean that he totally flipped and now thought Boro was suspicious? Obviously he was already starting to come up with suspicions at this point - so why did he go ahead and vote for Durelin "for no reason at all"?

Quote:
She agrees with Firefoot's comment on "do not trust anyone". That's clearly a wolfish ploy. While I don't propose "trust just about everyone", at some point you need to draw a line. Do your best to make your own theories and find your own suspects, but if we start suspecting "This person may be a wolf because I trust them too much" then we are done for. Odds are, if someone is making A LOT of sense, and there is no evidence at all that they are a wolf.... they will be innocent.
I think I ought to clarify my own comment here. I didn't mean to absolutely not trust anybody. I meant don't come into the game already trusting someone before they've even posted once, basically assuming they will be innocent because you like to trust them. Once they've posted a couple of times, then there might be some grounds for trust.

Farael's post 71 strikes me as a little peculiar - it's extremely in depth for the length of time the game had been going on. I'm not really saying it's a bad thing, but it did catch my eye. Actually, Farael just seems very convinced on his own theories in general, but with the way others are responding it seems that that might be normal for him.

I'm not quite easy with Anguirel, just the way he subtly shifts blame around. But I don't particularly think he's a wolf, either.

Boro the hunter, hm? I missed that the first time through. It seems to me, though, that while the hunter is only really useful if he is killed (except as a known innocent, I suppose), the hunter is much more likely to be successful later on when there's a higher chance of picking a wolf... so it seems likely that if he was the hunter, the wolves would try to take him out earlier rather than later, since leaving a known innocent late into the game can be extremely dangerous for the wolves. I think it would probably be silly for a wolf to try and bluff like that - people are going to get suspicious if he stays alive too long. Although I suppose the wolves could try and bluff their way through that by leaving him alive so we actually lynch him. Oh, I don't know. If I hadn't already changed my vote, I would now if only because it's not worth the risk at this point.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #171
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
What I mean - he says I would be a bad wolf. Apparently, and especially considering my earlier comments, that means I'm just a lousy ww player.
That hurt.

If it is any consolation ... in the notes I made but which have been made irrelevant (for now by events) I have by your name "intelligent comments on {something illegible}"

Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #172
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Mith, thank you...at least I managed to appear intelligent for a fleeting moment, and that is some comfort.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #173
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I just got back and finished reading the posts. Not much time left to comment, but Volo does look very weird, and what's more, I don't appreciate the sarcastic digs at me. Maybe I'm not the world's best player, but you don't need to be so nasty about it.
--Anguirel
++Volo
*sigh*
I see your point. I still think Volo is innocent and just said what he thought. I can assure you that few share his opinion. If I recall correctly, you haven't even been a werewolf so far and so didn't have a chance to inspire fear into us.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #174
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I agree that his comment was quite wrong, Rikae: it was quite wrong of him to say it, and he is quite wrong in thinking that way of you.

I do find Volo's questioning of Farael's argument regarding Lommy as odd, which can be found here. He argues against it using the suggestion that in-character nonsense should be ignored, shrugged off.

But, in an earlier post, rather than asserting his vote for me is random, he tries to explain it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
I wanted to vote Durelin for a completely useless post, a grudge and to help Boromir, but now having read Boromir's posts better I see he's pretty suspicious.
Eh? He should have just sticked with the grudge thing.

I don't know if this means anything or not...mostly it just has me confused.

If I had to say who the wolves were right now, though, I'd say Rikae and Firefoot are two of them. Just throwing that out there.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #175
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Didn't you kind of contradict yourself there, Duralin?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #176
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay villagers, time's up.

Volo will be dying soon...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #177
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Probably.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #178
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The people living in the countryside are sometimes looked upon as somewhat simple and even more so very much quiet folk by their town-dwelling cousins. That clearly wasn’t the case in this village.

After the strange fellow Nogrod had vanished there was a small interval of quietness, but then the talking bursted to fill the room. With basically no courtesies the people were on each other in earnest. And that really brought forwards some talking! It was clear most of the people had no chance to actually hear all the points raised. And they were going to and fro with the words the visiter had said, banging to their old rivalries and trustings, but also radically turning them around.

What followed was predictable. Confusion.

In the beginning the Serious Jester was getting the most suspicion. But he said he was something special and should not be lynched. Most of the people looked at him and started to back off from him. Although there were a couple of voices that called his claim of being something special a possible bluff.

It started to get serious with the Cryptic Lens Grinder after Gorlim’s Lighthearted Brother, The Moose Tamer and the Beekeeper turned their eyes on him. He defended himself bravely, and many were driven to search for yet another villain as it felt it was too soon to just nail him that early. And the Confused Philosopher seemed to fit their standards. He had been vague and obscure as the philosophers tend to be.

There were loud words and soft words spoken, almost half of the villagers saw it necessary to withdraw their votes and reconsider them before they all seemed to have an agreement of the situation.

So it was to be Volo, the Cryptic Lens Grinder.

“I still think Volo a mass of contradictions”, said the merry-man

“I might vote for Volo simply for being counter-constructive” said the Serious Jester.

“Though my head doubts this wisdom, there is an invisible rope keeping me from voting Volo.” Said the Beekeper and voted for him.

“I do trust Eomer enough that I'll follow along with his vote” said the tall Doctor.

“Be a man and don't act safe!” Volo snapped back but it was getting too late for him.

“I'm saying that you can't know what I am by thinking how recless/strange/wierd/cryptic I act.” He tried, but with no avail.

The villagers were already gathering around him, although Eiliniel’s Brother who is always right tried to cool them down, but even he had to end the Day with a sigh as the villagers had clearly made up their minds.

“I feel like I'm going down already today, pity”, Volo mumbled as the Serous Jester was tying a rope around his neck. The Innkeeper threw the rope over the baulk on the roof and the Frivolous Serving-Wench of hers brought the stool and helped Volo on to it.

“Hey, here you go my cavalier!” shouted the Homeless Waif and kicked the stool from under him. Gorlim’s brother got alarmed and tried to come in between the hanging – as if he was having second thoughts of it, but the Superstitious Mathematician barred his way. “Let’s just see this through, he insulted me and I felt bad about it. Let him hang”.

And he hang and hung and was hanged. The villagers were watching his body rocking to and fro. Nothing happened. Volo had been an ordinary villager, a bit cryptic, possibly, but wishing them no evil...

Dead:
Volo – The Cryptic Lens Grinder – (ordo) hanged on Day1

Alive:
Durelin - The Augur of the Village
Rikae - A Superstitious Mathematician
Thinlómien - An Ugly Little Shepherdess
Kath - A Weawer
Macalaure- Eiliniel's Witty Younger Brother Who's Always Right
Rune son of Bjarne - A Moonshiner
Boromir88 - The Serious Jester
Mithalwen - A Frivolous Serving-Wench
Lalwendë - Eiliniel, A Retired Village Idiot
Farael – A Moose Tamer
Anguirel - Gorlim's Lighthearted Brother, Anguirel the Merry
Mormegil – The Tall Doctor
Celuien - The Innkeeper
Firefoot - A Homeless Waif
Eomer - A Beekeeper
Gil-Galad - A Confused Philosopher
Roa_Aoife - The Town Fletcher

It's Night2 now.

Wolves feel free to discuss together. Wolves and all the Rangers PM me your choices. And, you know... most others, please silence then.

Last edited by Nogrod; 02-01-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #179
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The heads of the villagers were hanging as low as their spirits. After the short and most modest funeral of the poor Lens Grinder everyone went to their homes under an oppressive athmosphere. The doors would be locked this Night.

Just after the silence had fallen over the village, three doors opened quietly and three cloaked figures took out into the Night. But there was a fourth hooded villager out there too. He slipped from under a shadow to another, keenly observing anything he could find interesting.

No villager felt comfortable enough to sleep in peace that Night – except the wolves who took a nice and relaxing nap before their time would come. But two of the villagers felt the burden of responsibility on top of their overall anguish.

One was sitting by his fireplace at his home, fondling the golden dagger and admiring it’s beauty. But inside his head there was a storm. The other one was sitting by his table beside the window and held a piece of paper in his hand. In his other hand there was a pen, and written to the paper were numbers one, two and three. He was staring at the paper and thinking. Both villagers were frantically going through the discussion of the last Day: what had been said and by whom. A lot might depend on their judgement.

In the dead of the Night when even the nature itself had fallen asleep the wolves finally crawled out from their houses and gathered around the small square in front of the Inn. Even the wind had ceased after it had blown the clouds away from the moon.

Under the starry sky the werewolves turned to each other. “The master calls for blood toNight”, the biggest and hairiest one of them hissed, looking at it’s mates critically. “Can you two make it?” it asked the two others with a stern gaze in it’s eyes. The two nodded, albeit a bit insecurely. Their transformation was not yet full as there were patches of human skin clearly to be seen amidst the furry hair that they had grown. And their teeth were no match to the first one’s razor-sharp killing utensils.

“I can’t be herding you two anyhow if I’m to do my bit, so let’s just get on with the plan. I’ll meet you here after the task is done.” With that the leader-wolf disappeared into the shadows smoothly and quietly like a cat. The two looked at each other and took a different direction, slipping into the Night as well.

Eiliniel’s Witty Younger Brother Who’s Always Right had finally fallen to sleep but was sleeping lightly. Then, through his sleep, he thought he heard a quiet movement from the downstairs. He was awake now and lied still trying to catch the noise again. Although the loudest thing he could hear was the beating of his own heart he still thought that there was someone down there. He sensed it - he was right again. There was someone down there.

Then there were the damped steps he thought he heard. They were coming from the stairs and they were coming closer, silently but fast. He couldn’t take it any more. He reached out for his matches and lighted the candle in haste. Just that moment the door was bursted open. Turning quickly around Macalaure saw only the gigantic and horrendously sharp teeth coming towards him. He was to be Right no more.

The Town Fletcher had been suspecting everyone. And she did so during the Night too. Armed with her own bow and a quiver of her best arrows she was sitting in the middle of the floor, an arrow notched ready, just waiting for any surprises.

The two wolves circled around her house quietly as they dared not to attack in full frontal an enemy that frightful. But she was tired, just too tired and in the end was forced to take a catnap every now and then. And that was enough for the wolves. They surrounded the house and when Roa_Aoife dozed off again they both smashed in through the windows from opposite sides. She had time to become aware of a figure rushing towards her when she felt the claws of the other in the back of her head. Then it all went blank.

The villager with the golden dagger had made his decision. He would do it, he would try it toNight. But it was only when the Night was starting to wear off that he did feel sure enough. He took his cape and dagger in a hurry and ran out while there still was some Night left. There was a house he had decided to pay a visit.

The Innkeeper had stayed up the whole Night and fallen asleep at the instant she fell down to her bed. “Come morning, come other duties...” she had mumbled to herself as she had laid down. Unfortunately her duties were to be over. Quietly the villager slipped in from the door the Innkeeper had left unlocked and sneaked into her bedroom. With a flash he slit her throat open. Celuien probably didn’t even realise she died.

But as the villager waited for a transformation of his victim – and saw that nothing happened except the blood pouring out from her throat – he noticed a beautifully forged sword on the table behind him. But as the life escaped from Celuien's body the sword turned to dust. Quietly he slipped back in to his house just before the morning broke.

There was no Innkeeper to open the Inn this morning and at the same time the Village had lost one of their Rangers.

Dead:
Volo – The Cryptic Lens Grinder – (ordo) hanged on Day1
Macalaure - Eiliniel's Witty Younger Brother Who's Always Right – (ordo) killed to his bed on Night2
Roa_Aoife - The Town Fletcher – (ordo) killed from behind while dozing off in the middle of her room on Night2
Celuien - The Innkeeper – (Ranger) throat slit on Night2

Alive:
Durelin - The Augur of the Village
Rikae - A Superstitious Mathematician
Thinlómien - An Ugly Little Shepherdess
Kath - A Weawer
Rune son of Bjarne - A Moonshiner
Boromir88 - The Serious Jester
Mithalwen - A Frivolous Serving-Wench
Lalwendë - Eiliniel, A Retired Village Idiot
Farael – A Moose Tamer
Anguirel - Gorlim's Lighthearted Brother, Anguirel the Merry
Mormegil – The Tall Doctor
Firefoot - A Homeless Waif
Eomer - A Beekeeper
Gil-Galad - A Confused Philosopher

DAY2 has begun.

Wolves stop PM’ing, Villagers, make a difference.

Last edited by Nogrod; 02-01-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #180
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
well i assume that assumptions shall be made on myself again... so go for it, either way i'm going to yell "i told you so"

i'm still eyeing that Boromir... and people that support that boromir...
Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #181
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

You've gotta be kidding me.

So now we have 2 rangers, 3 wolves, 3 others (one of which is Boro?), and 7 ordos?

And why isn't anyone posting??

I'll be back in a bit... I have some stuff to do right now.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #182
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I was going over the day's posts during the night, but unfortunately my conclusion - that Celuien looked suspicious - was wrong. Apparently I wasn't alone in my mistake.

Beyond Cel, no one especially stood out. Firefoot's repetition of the "trust no one" theme looked somewhat oddly empty, and the possibility that Boro is bluffing certainly crossed my mind. Even so, he could be an ordo setting a wolf-trap, rather than a wolf or cobbler. Rune seemed like he might be holding something back and Gil was, of course, confusing, but I don't think it's necessarily wolfish. Anguirel maybe merits some analysis as well. In hindsight, his original accusation of Volo just doesn't sit right somehow. I'll try to come up with some sort of summary on these, at least, before I go to bed.

Why do you think the wolves would go after Mac and Roa? As I mentioned, Mac has great instincts, possibly Roa too - I wouldn't know. So could the wolves have been trying to rid themselves of dangerous players? Killing two such vocal players seems like a bold move; are there any people who are particularly likely to do that sort of thing as wolves?

Last edited by Rikae; 01-31-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: formatting and spelling
Old 01-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #183
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Talk about a DEAD silence.

I'm no good for making long analysis of what others have said and whom they've suspected... I still claim that Loomy is a wolf, although granted that Volo's innocence makes her look a LITTLE bit less hairy. Not much though, I'm stubborn.

I'm going to lurk around and wait for more words to be said before I go on writing... there isn't much I want to say anyway.

Edit: X-ed with Rikae. I think that the wolves decided to get rid of those two in Night 1 because the more they stay around, the more likely they are to make a case against one of them... and then it's much harder to get them killed.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #184
Gil-Galad

wait.. boro is now a gifted.. what? i am confused now...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:18 PM   #185
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Gil - Go here.

I am now inclined to think that Gil is probably not a wolf, as Boro's claim would surely have come up in their discussions, so Gil would have known before now if he was a wolf. I suppose it could be a bluff - but that almost seems too subtle for Gil, and his post doesn't at all read like one.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 PM   #186
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Gil - Go here.

I am now inclined to think that Gil is probably not a wolf, as Boro's claim would surely have come up in their discussions, so Gil would have known before now if he was a wolf. I suppose it could be a bluff - but that almost seems too subtle for Gil, and his post doesn't at all read like one.

well since how i like to look behind the box... how do we know that was not boromir bluffing to take any notion of lynching him off? makes you think...

but i will not vote for boromir mainly for the fear of him indeed being a gifted
Old 01-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #187
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Talk about a DEAD silence.

I'm no good for making long analysis of what others have said and whom they've suspected... I still claim that Loomy is a wolf, although granted that Volo's innocence makes her look a LITTLE bit less hairy. Not much though, I'm stubborn.
Gotta keep up appearances, eh, Farael?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #188
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Even so, he could be an ordo setting a wolf-trap, rather than a wolf or cobbler.
No I actually am the hunter, if you don't want to believe me that's your own fault.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #189
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
No I actually am the hunter, if you don't want to believe me that's your own fault.
Maybe you are, and maybe you aren't.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 PM   #190
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Posts by Firefoot:
#1 In character banter, thinks Lommy and Mac should not be trusted “because everyone does”.

#2 Answering Rikae – “they could be great on our side” is a bad reason to trust somebody; we should distrust the people we tend to trust.

#3 If two wolves are clueless, lead wolf could just tell others who they are, rules impossible to enforce.

#4 Her vote for Boro wasn't based on much. Changes vote to Volo because he is too cavalier, defensive and “all over the place.”

#5 Asks why Volo voted for “no reason at all.” Clarifies “trust” statements (don't trust before game begins) Farael's certainty “peculiar”, vague suspicion of Ang. Wonders if Boro could be bluffing, thinks if he was a real hunter the wolves would kill him early.

Several things here don't seem right. Of course trusting or not trusting someone before they post is pointless; I don't think anyone would disagree, but she belabors the point to excess. She thinks Farael is peculiar for acting like Farael, and seems to conveniently forget that we have (had) three rangers who could protect Boro. (Which is, as I see it, one of the most promising things about his revealing himself. If the rangers indeed find each other by protecting the same person, protecting Boro may allow them to do so.)
Still, this isn't especially incriminating, especially since, when I look more closely at Farael, he almost begins to look like he's almost playing a parody of himself, which he wouldn't need to do if he's innocent.

Looking at Rune:

#1 Says he never trusts Mac or Gil.

#2 Thinks one wolf is stronger than normal, instead of two being weaker.

#3 Says Firefoot's advice would have our lists looking like: “distrust: everybody else, trust: me”.

#4 Calls me the “queen of wishful thinking”; doesn't think a lone “weak” wolf would be unable to kill.

#5 Doubts there's a reason for Morm's vote.

#6 Leaving, ignoring Morm.

#7 Defends self from Mac's accusations; posts without substance normal for day 1, no one said much.

#8 Thinks it's odd that Farael is so sure.

#9 Votes Mac because “he pushed my buttons.”

He indeed didn't have much of substance to say. This definitely bears out the “holding something back” sense I had from Rune; but I'm not sure what to make of it. He seems cautious.

Well, that's not much help; I have to leave for a little while but I will try to do a little more analysis before I go to bed.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #191
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Just one thing:
Quote:
She thinks Farael is peculiar for acting like Farael,
I have no idea how Farael usually acts. It's been a long time since I've played in a game of WW, and if I ever played in a game with Farael I don't particularly remember it. The only people I really remember are those that I played in several games with.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #192
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Sory for the absense these first hours. . .I was talking to a friend.

I somehow mannaged to overlook the post of Boro where he comes out as hunter, so thanks for pointing it out. Now this leaves us with a bit of a dilema, as we have no way of knowing if he is or not.

No matter what it is not likely that he will die during the night. Either because he is a wolf pretending to be a Hunter or because he is a hunter and it would serve the wolfes little purpuse to kill him. For one thing he could take out one of them, plus the longer he stay the more uncertain we will get and the higher chance there is for us to lynch him.

Of course if the dear Nogrod would give us some clear deffinitions of the roles we would have chance of knowing if it is a bluff or not.

pffft personaly I am inclined to belive him, but one can never know and that disturbs me.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #193
Gil-Galad

The ket to surviving is to strike a balance, to be un-eventful to the wolves so they don't kill you and to not raise suspicion so the vilalgers do not gang up on you

and seeing how the "trust nobody but yourself" way of thinking is starting to take affect, this is the simple way of staying alive, make everyone happy.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #194
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Sory for the absense these first hours. . .I was talking to a friend.

I somehow mannaged to overlook the post of Boro where he comes out as hunter, so thanks for pointing it out. Now this leaves us with a bit of a dilema, as we have no way of knowing if he is or not.

No matter what it is not likely that he will die during the night. Either because he is a wolf pretending to be a Hunter or because he is a hunter and it would serve the wolfes little purpuse to kill him. For one thing he could take out one of them, plus the longer he stay the more uncertain we will get and the higher chance there is for us to lynch him.

Of course if the dear Nogrod would give us some clear deffinitions of the roles we would have chance of knowing if it is a bluff or not.

pffft personaly I am inclined to belive him, but one can never know and that disturbs me.
Honestly my first vote for Rune was more or less in jest, it could have just as easily been for Kath. However, I've decided not to over analyze things anymore and lately it has served me well.

Rune's post above really strikes me as contrived and insincere. I just don't seem to believe much of what was written and who would lie?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #195
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Yes that is right Morm, I only write things I do not belive. . . .I can honestly say that I did not see Boro's, post before it was linked and what I wrote was my emidiate thoughts on the subject.

anyways, this is totaly unimportant and not a sign of suspicion, but there was a part of your post I did not understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormegil
However, I've decided not to over analyze things anymore and lately it has served me well.
What did you mean by this, I cannot see the conection between this and what you said about voting me and I am just wondering if I missed something. (I hate not knowing what people talk about)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #196
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

So here's my thoughts on everyone right now. It's mostly just reactions and feelings rather than summaries and facts, so most of this isn't backed up by much. But I went back through and read all of everyone's posts, and this is where I'm at.

Rikae – I am not at all comfortable with Rikae. She says all the right things – and maybe that’s why I’m not comfortable. Maybe it has something to do with the way I perceive the tone of her posts – this quote in particular stood out to me.
Quote:
Roa, is it such a terrible thing that I prefer not to jump in, in the early hours of day one, with baseless accusations? It's always been my feeling that it's a good idea to spread suspicion around a little on day one, just to see how people react. As for good wolves also being good villagers, that should be obvious; a strong player is usually a strong player across the board. I was just saying I don't think we should lynch the ones we started the game fearing until they have given us some posts to analyse.
It’s definitely defensive, but not assertively so. It takes more of a “poor me” tone, especially that first sentence.

Thinlómien – I don’t have much of an opinion on her at this point, mostly because she doesn’t have very many posts yet. The word I would use to describe her is “happy” – or maybe “light-hearted” would be better… her first couple of posts anyway. I’ll go back and look at what others said about her, but she doesn’t seem all that suspicious to me.

Kath – I’m feeling pretty comfortable with Kath right now. Her points seem logical and honest and I can see where she’s coming from.

Rune – He has posted rather frequently but never at length, and this has been pointed out as possibly being wolvish. I might argue, however, that “posting a lot without saying a lot” is a better indicator of wolvishness when the posts are longer and appear more substantial. Rune seems to be taking the position of a passive responder rather than trying to move things along… which could be contrived as “flying under the radar.” (You know, for such a common cliché in this game, it really is anachronistic… ) I’m in the middle with Rune, possibly leaning innocent.

Boromir88 – I’ve already stated my thoughts on Boromir. Basically, I don’t think that we should lynch him.

Mithalwen – I don’t see much that’s suspicious at all about Mithalwen right now.

Lalwendë – She seems to be very opinionated, which I would expect of her. However, she doesn’t seem to be trying at all to be subtle or trying to shift blame around, and her comments generally seem honest. She seems likely to be innocent.

Farael – I’m not particularly comfortable with him either. I still find it rather interesting how he was able to make such a long and in-depth accusation of Lommy when I really don’t think that there’s that much there. If he’s a wolf, he’s certainly going about it in a loud way… but I’m not convinced he is. Right now I’m inclined to think he’s just a loud innocent, but I’m keeping my eye on him.

Naria - …

Anguirel – I’m inclined to suspect Ang, at least a bit. He always comes across to me as playing a subtler game… he doesn’t make a lot of accusations and tends to throw out logical ideas and theories in a mostly agreeable way. The one thing that struck me about him was that he was the first one to really go after Volo and was the first one to vote for him (at a time when numerous other people had votes), but as the Day drew to a close, he backed off of this suspicion. This to me seems very much like a wolf, basically fobbing his vote off on an innocent (who did, admittedly, appear very wolvish) whom he figured would not be lynched. He’s definitely on my more suspicious list.

Mormegil – There’s not that much out there on Morm. I would guess that his first post which contained a vote for Rune was designed more to get the ball rolling than as a serious vote, but I’m not sure that that means anything. I’m not going to make a decision on him yet.

Eomer – He hasn’t said anything yet that seems particularly suspicious… but I’m certainly not letting him off the hook that easily. He’s way too capable of anything for that.

Durelin – She’s been both logical and consistent so far – I’m not particularly suspicious of her.

Gil-Galad – I don’t really think he’s a wolf. As I said before.

Oy. That's a lot of posts to go through.

Right now Rikae and Anguirel seem to head my list for suspicion, but nothing's set in stone yet, to be sure.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #197
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I think the Boro situation is the least of our worries right now. He's just one of...well, everyone else...each of us is uncertain of. Well, except for those three nasties among us.

Gil is Gil right now and I am inclined to think him innocent.

Well, this is interesting to me...

Quote:
Why do you think the wolves would go after Mac and Roa? As I mentioned, Mac has great instincts, possibly Roa too - I wouldn't know. So could the wolves have been trying to rid themselves of dangerous players? Killing two such vocal players seems like a bold move; are there any people who are particularly likely to do that sort of thing as wolves?
How about...you?

Talking at moderate length about why the wolves would make a kill without doing annoying (to do, that is), lengthy analyses of their posts... Makes me feel like you're not what you seem.

And why bother apologizing for your mistake when it comes to Celuien? You voted for Volo, approving his lynching. If you really feel the need to apologize, why not apologize for your suspicion of Volo? Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, I think you're rather quick to assume the person doing the killing is on our side... Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible), I don't think we know.

And your votes don't sit right with me. You vote for Ang first. Nice, simple, "random-ish" Day 1 vote. Except...it's Ang, so there's the possibility he'll get lynched anytime, because people think he's shifty. Okay, so he is. Then you switch to Volo after he already has seven votes. A bit much, in my opinion. But nice and safe... You voted for Volo. You were right along with everyone else. Your vote for Ang before doesn't stand out. You don't stand out.

You make a good point about Farael keeping up appearances, though.

Hmm...it worries me that Eomer wasn't even voted for on Day 1... Preposterous!

There are so many quiet people... I can hang around for a little while, but I likely won't be back until just before the deadline after that...it sucks, but it's all I can do. Sorry.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 PM   #198
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Well, Firefoot, what can I say...it's kind of my personality. I'm usually rather saddened when people suspect me; I know it's silly, but I can't help it.

I'm beginning to think it's kind of odd how little we're hearing from Morm. According to my lorebooks, his family is usually rather vocal; confusing and strange, but vocal.

As for the people I said I'd look at:
Here's Gil:
#1 In character, silly, agrees Lommy and Mac are “suspicious”, worries that this makes him look suspicious, says he wouldn't do something so suspicious looking if he was a wolf.
#2 Votes for Boro because of Boro's suspicions of Cel. “Sorry but I must put this lovely pie of lynching in your face, ta ta”

#3 Assumes he'll be suspected, says “so go for it”.

#4 Boro is now a gifted...what?

#5 Boro could be bluffing; but won't vote for him.

#6 The way to survive is striking a balance. I wonder who he's talking to?

Very little to go on here, obviously. He does seem extremely paranoid about people suspecting him; still, I can kind of understand how that could be an innocent reaction. No one likes to get lynched. It's quite possible all the Gil-suspicion of yesterday was a bit of a red herring, especially since Mac, who tried to have him lynched, was killed. I don't think a wolf-Gil would try a bluff like that, though of course, I could be wrong.

And Anguirel (day one):

#1 Thinks Boro's attack on Cel weird; but thinks both are innocent.
#2 Thinks Roa suspects those who post the most; hopeful of catching a wolf on day 1; thinks Boro is not suspicious; let the specials “get on with it” and don't worry about it.
#3 Thinks Volo's behavior is wolfish, because he
a) Explicit about views on special roles “a tactic that may seem too risky for a wolf, but isn't actually that dangerous”
[Why not? Because it's often done by ordos!]
b) Voting for “a random person, probably Durelin” is a contradiction. [But is it really? Random just means he chose for no real reason; it doesn't mean he didn't choose yet. Actually, choosing early makes it more likely to be random.]
c) Thinks “shocked reaction to Boro's plight” was fake.
d) Thinks “left to the seer” is distracting and irrelevent. [although we have more info now, it did seem possible yesterDAY that one of the secret roles was a seer or similar.]
e) “better vote me” is standard martyring. [yes, but ordos have been known to do that as well]
#4 Nonsense is fun; there's a split between those who say trust nobody and those who trust – doesn't really clarify where he stands on this – votes Volo.
#5 Calls for Gil and Firefoot to change votes; suspects Mac because he's been “toying with Rune
#6 “Quiet and bloodthirsty? Well, yes, if not quite this extent, I suppose...”
#7 Thinks Eomer's suspicion of Firefoot sounds reasonable.
#8 Vote tally
#9 Asks Volo if he suspects me, says if so he can see his point.
#10 Doesn't really suspect Volo or Boro; wants Eomer to vote Mac with him.
#11 Beekeeper is off beekeeping...stiff upper lip, Volo.
And a Monty Python quote, which almost clears him of all suspicion in my mind! ...Almost.
#12 Doesn't want to change vote to Gil...still wants to lynch Mac
#13 Thinks Mac is subtly protecting Volo by voting Gil.
#14 “I am a quivering, wobbling, vaguely alcoholic zabaglione of indecision”
#15 Changes vote to Gil, claiming it's on a coin toss.
My overall impression is that he's a bit too casual, a bit too quick to shift blame. He seems to be hiding in sheer number of posts sometimes; of the four I've looked at, I'd say he looks the most suspicious.

Still, I'm not satisfied with this. I can't shake the feeling that the wolves are actually among those no one's looking at. I think I'll take another (quick) look at everybody else.

EDIT: Crossed with Durelin, second EDIT to bold names.
Durelin, if I didn't want to do lengthy analysis of posts, why did I just do four?
As for the swordsman, wasn't the sword given by an eagle? That would make him good, no?

Last edited by Rikae; 01-31-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:48 PM   #199
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Cross-posted with Firefoot...

You make some interesting points about Ang. I'm all about suspicious vote placement, so you've got me thinking...
Old 01-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #200
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
No matter what I'll do, I'll always be suspected. Curiously enough, this time I'm being suspected for what? playing as I always play? c'mon guys, that's a stretch... but it's ok, I'll give you some more reason to suspect me

++Loomy

and I'm gone. Trust me, she IS a wolf.