The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye So what kind of fan were you?

I love this comic!

When the movies were coming... what kind of fan were you? I myself wavered between #2 to #3 with Two Towers, then back toward #2.

Last edited by Snowdog; 04-02-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
from the comic: Fan-spotting
Hahahahaha!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Tolkien

Snowdog, the comic was cute; but I like your other categories from Before And After The movies far better (Eldar, Edain, etc.) I was hoping this was a new thread about them...

(hint)
Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Amusing comic; I don't think I really fit into any of the categories though. Perhaps 3. What got me was the name of the site: "Ctrl-Alt-Del," since my friend is in a band of the same name.

As mark said, though, I prefer your categories, they make room for everyone!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Snowdog

1420! Middle Earth Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
Snowdog, the comic was cute; but I like your other categories from Before And After The movies far better (Eldar, Edain, etc.) I was hoping this was a new thread about them...

(hint)
Should I put it here? I didn't want to spam multiple forums .
Ok, per Mark12_30's & Encaitare's request.....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I break down Middle Earth fans thus:
  • Old-School Book Fan:
    They read Tolkien’s books sometime between the release of the Hobbit (1937) & the Silmarillion (1977). They came to know the world of Middle Earth through the released writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and awaited the release of The Silmarillion to relieve their hunger to know more of Middle Earth. Yet were apprehensive as to whether Christopher Tolkien would do justice to the beloved realm of Middle Earth in print, and were even more reluctant with the Bakshi, Rankin/Bass, & Peter Jackson films.
  • The New-School Book Fan
Of the New-School Book Fans, there are two sub-groups which I call:
  • ~The First-Born ~ This group originally discovered the world of Middle Earth after the books Christopher Tolkien released beginning with The Silmarillion in 1977. They include also Unfinished Tales and any of the HoME series. These are the book readers and would have been Old-School Book fans had they been old enough, or had discovered the Hobbit and/or the Trilogy of Lord of the Rings before the Silmarillion came out.
  • ~The Edain~ Also known as The Adopted. They are the ones from the groups below who were motivated to seek out and delve deep into the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien & Christopher Tolkien and learn and love the true history of Middle Earth.
The Edain are the cream from many of the groups below.
  • The Bakshi Recruit: They first discovered Middle Earth by seeing the Bakshi and/or the Rankin/Bass cartoons. Many went on to read the books and delve ever deeper into Tolkiens writings, and essentially become one of the Edain.
  • The “Pre-Movie” Book Fan: They heard there was a Lord of the Rings movie in the making, and after looking into it, decided they wanted to read the books before the first movie came out in Dec 2001. Many go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans.
  • The Movie Recruit: They went to the theatre and saw Fellowship of the Ring, and loved it so much they were inspired to go and read the books, finishing the Two Towers and Return of the King before the release of the movie of the same name. Many go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans.
  • The Peter Jackson Recruit: Different from the Movie Recruit in that they did not start to read the books until after they saw all three movies. Their viewpoint of Middle Earth is seen through the eyes of Peter Jackson, and they note the differences in the books. Some may go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans, but to most their reading of the books are more an afterthought and of a desire to fill in some of the gaps in the movie, leaving the movie as the cannonized definitive word on their concept of Middle Earth.
  • The Hardcore Movie Fan: They went to the movies and loved them! They have no desire to read the books or inclined not to do so anytime soon. The movie is Middle Earth, and they like it as presented. Books are boring. They take too much imagination. Who needs to imagine what Middle Earth is like when Peter Jackson already did it for me? Who reads books anyway?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old 09-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Old School Book Fans-- How about subgroups:

60's: Gandalf For President

70's: Pre-Sil

I'm pre-Sil, myself, having read the trilogy roughly around 1972 or 3.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
Snowdog

Yeah, I'm 70's pre-Sil. By the time I read the books three times and covered every line of the Appendices, I searched out other books and found a lineparty organizing for the release of Silmarillion. Of course the first part of the Sil I read was The Rings of power bit.

Oh yes, another sub-group here would be: 30's - 50's, The originals
Old 02-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I suppose I would be Fan #1...until I saw TTT then I moved to #3 now I'm slowly getting to #2...I am however #4..in drama class for my Audition I sang theoden's warsong ...I used a brrom as my spear
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Snowdog

Had to fix the link in the first post as they moved their archives.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I grew up watching the cartoons but I didn't really think much about it.

So I guess I'm a movie recruit. I heard the movies were coming out so the month before the FOTR release I read the Hobbit and the LOTR. I wanted to be able to give educated opinions on the movies.

Since then I have read LOTR four times and have read the Sil 1&1/2 times
Old 04-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
First Born, would have been an Old-School Book Fan, but I wasn't born until '79!

Although I might not be a totally pure book fan, so to speak, since I had an audio recording of the Rankin-Bass "Hobbit" back in '82 (a 45!) - though I didn't see the movie before first reading "The Hobbit" in '85 and LOTR in '87.

Now, as for the first question - definitely #2; code yellow "Tolkien Fanatic", but by now I've decided, overall, I like the movies.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As far as the movies are concerned, I was this sort of fan:

#4 CODE: Get this kid some therapy - "The Raving Lunatic"

Yes, I had.....that is, have.....an Elven sword

Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
As far as the movies are concerned, I was this sort of fan:

#4 CODE: Get this kid some therapy - "The Raving Lunatic"

Yes, I had.....that is, have.....an Elven sword

You have an Elven sword? OOOOOOHHHHH I wants it.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I am among the last of the Old School Book Fans, as I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings just bare months before The Silmarillion was released. I found The Sil hard going, and gave it up halfway through (not finishing it until about 4 years ago), but read and re-read TH and LOTR, perusing fan BBS and the Internet when it became available, reading movie rumors (oh, the endless debates on who should play Gandalf...Sean Connery being the much-hailed-and-derided favorite) and balrog wing discussions.

The real announcement of a real movie (which I read first on Ain't It Cool News) refueled my interest. I ended up being strongly influenced by the movies, but revere the books alone as canon, of course.

Oddly, I find myself standing almost in the exact center of the movies-versus-books road, and suffering the slings and arrows from cars on both lanes. "I love the books, I love the movies, they're two different things, why can't we all just get along?"

<Thenamir ducks as another salvo of sharp, pointy objects is hurled his way...>
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Oh, as far as the movies were concerned, check this photo of me and my lovely wife just before the release of TTT. I think this makes me A Raving Lunatic. And yes, that is Glamdring in my hand.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh does that ever beg for a Crazy Caption...

"Um, Celebrimbor, do you think you could help me? You see I was messing about with Glamdring and there was this big lump of cheese...and they kind of got stuck..."