The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Speaking without words

We all know that it is impossible to convey the utter beauty of Middle-Earth, or portray the descriptions that Tolkien writes about, in a mere film. However in an attempt to give Peter Jackson some credit, the question I would ask of you is this:

What scene, for you, in any of the films shows that someone on the staff was reading the book?

For instance: I saw the walls in the caverns beneath Helm's Deep glitter. There are many more, but what was the most important for you personally.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I would say that the interaction between the actors was a big indicator for me: The rapport between Frodo and Sam, Pippin and Merry, just to name a few. The script was very well done, for the most part, but even the best script falls flat without good actors. I think the performers did really well as a whole. Or what about the parts without words? The scene at the Grey Havens was very well acted, but few words were spoken.

I tend to focus on the acting because I am at heart an actress, so great performances will stand out for me more than other things.

Also, the music is breathtaking, particularly Howard Shore's theme for Rohan. For me, the slightly sad but soaring sound of the string instruments he chose was perfect, and very evocative of the feel of Rohan from the books. I sometimes listen to the soundtracks while reading certain parts of the book, and they measure up to the moods expressed on the pages as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Peaking at The Pukel Men.

I was really looking for that one moment in time, a glance at the screen, an image of Tolkien words made visible ie: The Moon over Mindolluin, as Faramir and Frodo emerge to gaze on Gollum in The Forbidden Pool. As Elrond passes the standing stones on the way to The Firienfeld.

Tolkien describes things in the book, and they appear in the film without need of explaination to those who know. What one thing have you SEEN.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
bilbo's map was the first scene where I thought - 'he gets it' - not described by tolkien but a great gift to tolkien fans out there
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I thought they did a good job with the way that Frodo and Sam interact with each other. They were always touchy feely in the books and I'm glad they kept it in the film. Even though they could have gotting slack for portraying them as more feminine (meaning "manly" guys do not normally hold hands with other men) It shows how close they are.
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks Essex, that's what I was looking for. At no time are the Glittering Caves or The Pukel Men ever mentioned in the films, yet we see them. Bilbo's map is another good example. One thing that stands out for me, is Gandalf the White at The Grey Havens wearing Narya.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
They are mentioned in the extended edition, but I remember being delighted at the sight (without explanation) of Bilbo's stone trolls when I first saw FotR. That was definitely a reference for book readers!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There were many instances for me but the first one that I recall was when watching FotR. The scene where we see the party of elves making their way to the Havens...Beautifully atmospheric. It brought tears to my eyes and I settled happily into my seat at the cinema, thinking...Yes, they've got it
Old 02-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The one bit that really did it for me was the scene in TTT when Gollum comes crawling down the mountain with the moon up behind him. The first time I read the book that picture popped into my head, and that was abiout 8 years previously! Then I go to the cinema and see an exact replica of the picture in my head onscreen and just thought - wow.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'd have to say it was either in FotR when the elves walk by Frodo and Sam at night singing (extended version) or the sign in front of Bilbo's house before his party.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Hmmmm... I'd have to say how they had Minas Tirith placed exactly with the Seven gates facing in a different direction, even though it's not very well shown. Another of my favorites is definetly at the Havens when they showed Gandalf with Narya.