The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril Slight Nitpick Here

Possibly ROTK movie spoilers below:<P>*<P><BR>*<P><BR>*<P><BR>*<BR>Okay, I am looking at the picture of Pippin in his Gondorian armor and I believe I found a slight problem with it. In the picture Pippin is wearing his Lorien cloak along with the armor and correct me if I am wrong but didn't it say in the book that he was not permitted to wear the cloak from Lothlorien while he was on duty?<P>Yeah, yeah I know I am nitpicking here but I am <B>REALLY </B> grateful that they are releasing some pictures from the movie to the fans...<P><I>*sighs*</I><P>Only 204 more days until ROTK!!!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

You're right, it said something in RotK about how his cloak was folded and put away, but he was still allowed to keep it. Maybe he wasn't on-duty in the picture? Or maybe they've just decided to leave that part out because it's such a minor detail. But I didn't notice that before you pointed it out.
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:14 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually a small thing bugs me as well about that <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/797/view/6699" TARGET=_blank>picture</A>. The caption reads, "Pippin tries to explain Boromir’s death to his father Denethor, the Steward of Gondor at Minas Tirith.", but does Pippin have his uniform when he first meets Denethor. Judging from Boyd's face, there's some emotion in this scene and I wonder if it's later. Perhaps Denethor bemoans Faramir letting the Ring go and Pippin pipes in with some more information as to the events that led to Boromir's death. I don't know if I like this, as I don't want to see Pippin dissing Boromir.<P>It's also entirely possible that whoever wrote the caption is just guessing.<P>H.C.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Shield

Actually I think this picture maybe possibly from the scene where Denethor tries to burn himself and Faramir up as you can see in this picture what looks to be the corner of a funeral pyre....<P>If it is that scene in this picture that would explain why Pippin looks to be so upset. Also if it from the scene I think it is then Pippin was already released from his service to Denethor but I hardly think that should have a difference concerning the Lorien cloak as either way I don't believe Pip should have it on....<P>Anyway if this movie is as good as they say it is, I'll be willing to overlook the cloak goof-up, won't you?
Old 05-27-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think that scene could still be when Pippin first meets Denethor. After all, old Denny would try to get in a few insults, and especially when he asks Pippin why no aid came to Boromir. I'd assume that the little Hobbit would get slightly peeved about that.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

What you said was true about Denethor's jabs Finwe, however if it is the scene where Pippin first speaks with Denethor, there is absolutely no way he could have his armor on, is there? Didn't he get his his armor after a day or two and the grand tour of Minas Tirith? I doubt Boyens and Jackson would twist the plot so much as to make that work... at least I'm hoping they wouldn't.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, it would have be after Pippin met Denethor because Pip did not have his elven brooch when he first met him. As you can see, he has it in the picture. Of course, we are guessing by the books.<BR>~M
Old 05-27-2003, 05:23 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Pippin likely gets his broach back at Isengard, which means he would certainly have it when he meets Denethor in Minas Tirith. Aw well, he does look good in the black and silver though.<P>H.C.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:30 AM   #9
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

VERY cool picture, just as I imagined it!<BR>I noticed this too...hmm.<BR>About the emotion, I should think that he was describing Boromir's death, and how valiantly he fought.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:25 AM   #10
Peregrin Brandybuck

Sting

There's something else that I noticed in that image. Is that circular object at Pip's side the beginning of his sword hilt? Assuming he kept his old sword from tFOTR, isn't that hilt a different shape than the one at his side? Maybe he gets a completely different sword in the ROTK movie, but I'm just trying to clarify. <P>Does anyone have any thoughts/insight on this?
Old 05-29-2003, 10:32 AM   #11
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I'm sure the armoury of Minas Tirith could provide him with a better sword than the one Aragorn picked up in (I assume) Bree.<P>H.C.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:31 AM   #12
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must agree with Arathiriel because our names are so similar. Kidding!<P>No, I really do agree because if you look to Pippin's right, that marble platform looks suspiciously like a tomb with a carved figure laid to rest on top of it (similar to the one in Elrond's vision of Aragorn's death). That would lead us to believe that this scene is at Rath Dinen where Pippin tries to defend Faramir against Denethor. I think the black thing behind him is more likely a black-draped bier holding Faramir.
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I agree with Aratlithiel. It looks to be the pyre scene. and a very good picture of Mr. Took, I might add.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:49 PM   #14
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>a very good picture of Mr. Took, I might add. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree. I love a hobbit in uniform. And I also think this is the first time that I've seen a hobbit in chain mail.(Frodo's Mithril chain mail dosn't count)<P>As long as we're all nitpicking dosn't the uniform fit too well. If my memory serves me well it wasn't tailored to fit him was it? Because if not then it should be a bit baggy on him. That's just my two cents.