Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #401
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Glad to see it!

Having read it.....heh....I'm not used to being put into this sort of situation with my characters. Usually I play the characters in Keni's and Iari's place. Now maybe I'll appreciate other people's difficulties.

Any suggestions anybody?
He could fall on his knees and hug Iari and scowl at Keni.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #402
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
He could fall on his knees and hug Iari and scowl at Keni.
Haha! You crack me up!

I don't know what I'm going to do and I won't have time to do it for a couple days yet. I am sorry. I guess I should stick up a save or something, shouldn't I? In case people ge busy on the game thread....

-- Folwren
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #403
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll post and reply planning PMs this weekend.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #404
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
But he wasn't wrong. That's the thing. Maybe he got a little over heated, but he wasn't wrong.
Sarcasm, Folwren. It was all sarcasm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I'll post and reply planning PMs this weekend.
Great! can't wait to see them!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #405
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great job on your post, Lommy! I'll get a response up for Nali sometime soon, before the weekend.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #406
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, for those who are willing to read, there is a post by Groin and me concerning Onli and Trór. And of course, Groin, you can start Náli interacting with Onli in any moment from scratch (just start by him coming there). And see if the way I posted it is all right.

Huh. Hope we will move on soon. This is getting exhausting
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #407
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Huh. Hope we will move on soon. This is getting exhausting
Seconded. It's been very interesting, but we need to move on soon, don't we? Stat the killing and all that morbid stuff.

-- Foley
Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #408
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alright, if it's action you want than it's action you'll get! Besides, I'm pretty sure that everyone has expressed their opinion of Tror as an idiotic warmonger already; we still have time if you need to post for that!

My next post will get everyone moving. I'll post so that will once and for all disperse the council (I can't believe how many times I have used that word) and start the erection of the defenses. After Nali and Ori inform the populace about the battle, I think that I'll do a time jump if it's alright with y'all. I don't like the idea of being held up on posts about digging and pulling and pushing and lifting rocks. The horror! If we decide on a time jump it will only be around two or one hour, nothing spectacular.

Also, I have grossly underestimated the wonderful stores of weapons that Oin had uncovered! I was listening to the Hobbit (love books on tape) and in one of the poems it talked about the wonderful stores of weapons that were made in Moria. I think that it is high time that we bring out the high-tech weapons!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #409
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm going to Portugal so I'm going to be away for about 1,5 weeks... but if Groin or someone else wishes me to post something, say it quick and I can do it tomorrow still.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #410
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm going to Portugal so I'm going to be away for about 1,5 weeks... but if Groin or someone else wishes me to post something, say it quick and I can do it tomorrow still.
Uh oh! Are you leaving soon? If so, I'll have Nali approach Vigdis soon and I'll save the book of Mazarbul, with Ori, for later then. I'll have my post up sometime today to make it convenient for you.

I hope that you have a wonderful stay in Portugal. I've never been there myself, but I have heard that it is a lot like the south coast of Texas; in which case, you are going to love it!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #411
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Uh oh! Are you leaving soon? If so, I'll have Nali approach Vigdis soon and I'll save the book of Mazarbul, with Ori, for later then. I'll have my post up sometime today to make it convenient for you.
Yes, actually, tomorrow very early...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #412
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1500th post!

Quote:
Yes, actually, tomorrow very early...
My post is up right now, if you want to give a quick reply to Nali. If not, have fun on your trip!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #413
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
My post is up right now, if you want to give a quick reply to Nali. If not, have fun on your trip!
I'll try. And thanks.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #414
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I'll try. And thanks.
Dadgumit! I guess Lommy was too busy. I really hate to dismiss her character, Vigdis, like this, but I think everyone wants to move on with the story to the action. Any ideas anyone?

Also, Legate, sorry about putting Loni on the spot like that with the speech and all. Let me know if I can do to alter it. Perhaps now that Lommy is gone I may edit my post. Tell me what you think.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #415
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Dadgumit! I guess Lommy was too busy. I really hate to dismiss her character, Vigdis, like this, but I think everyone wants to move on with the story to the action. Any ideas anyone?

Also, Legate, sorry about putting Loni on the spot like that with the speech and all. Let me know if I can do to alter it. Perhaps now that Lommy is gone I may edit my post. Tell me what you think.
Let us not be so hasty, Groin. It's not that Lommy will be away for too long - not as long in comparison to how long it usually takes us sometimes to make posts anyway. Would it not be possible for you to for example leave this part of the story be, until she returns, and meanwhile continue the rest of the things concerning Trór etc.? Vigdis has little to do with the war itself anyway.

I think Lóni's position is all right, I will just think about it a bit, before I post (which won't likely be rightaway either).

And you should let people have the chance to post anyway, if anybody can add something else.

One question - who are all the people going out, then? There will be Trór and Frár, and an unidentified mass of soldiers including also Kór etc. - but is there anybody from the other players who would, perhaps, wish to join too? Here is the chance for a fight, so perhaps somebody else would wish to join?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #416
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Let us not be so hasty, Groin. It's not that Lommy will be away for too long - not as long in comparison to how long it usually takes us sometimes to make posts anyway. Would it not be possible for you to for example leave this part of the story be, until she returns, and meanwhile continue the rest of the things concerning Trór etc.? Vigdis has little to do with the war itself anyway.
Agreed, Nali's character can afford stay even when important things are happening. Though if the story moves too far along I could always put up a save for Vigdis and Nali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
One question - who are all the people going out, then? There will be Trór and Frár, and an unidentified mass of soldiers including also Kór etc. - but is there anybody from the other players who would, perhaps, wish to join too? Here is the chance for a fight, so perhaps somebody else would wish to join?
Have you not heard, Legate? The draft has been reinstated! If you want to, Loni could include this in his speech, but I'm pretty sure that Dwarves would not hesitated to join. When Balin retook Moria every Dwarf played a role in it; I will have to think on what role the various characters should take. Craftsmen wouldn't be much good except in fighting, whereas Masons and Smiths (which are many) will be great warriors and engineers. I'll get back to y'all on this.

If any of you have any good reason to why your character shouldn't or won't fight, I'll hear them. The army will be in need of new officers as well, I'll look over character profiles and see which characters are best fitted, but please don't be shy and let me know if I should choose your character!

In the meantime, everybody, take Legate's advice and post while you can. I'll wait a while for any of my characters to post, this will be perfect opportunity for all the players who were silent during the council to emerge again!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #417
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Have you not heard, Legate? The draft has been reinstated! If you want to, Loni could include this in his speech, but I'm pretty sure that Dwarves would not hesitated to join.
Yep, I was just not sure if you are planning to include them also in this first party heading out, or if you'd only save them for later (probably not that much later, but anyway).

I'll try to put up Lóni's speech soon
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #418
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thank you Durelin for putting up that excellent post! I love it when players have discussions with their characters, it makes the game seem real.

I'm still not going to post for any of my characters just yet. I'll see if I can get Gwathagor to get a post up for Frar, that will be the best way to get a post up for Tror. Also, as soon as the Legate gives his speech, I'll have a post ready for Nisa.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #419
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, thank you - it was a very self-centered post but that's what I get when I have more than one character, hehe...
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #420
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Your fearless and benevolent dictator of this RPG is here!

I have decided to finally break the stalemate of nothingness that seems to have obtained a firm hold over my RPG subjects. Fear not brave warriors of the pen (or keyboard as the "case" my be) a post for Tror will be up by Saturday night. Excitement is "write" (I love puns) around the corner!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #421
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ok, I thought about doing the whole thing in one fell swoop - and I probably could have to - but I decided I'd just get the soldiers outside and on the move, so I don't pass too much time all at once.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #422
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well done Gwath! Amazing job that you did there, it set up my post perfectly!

It is now officially nighttime in the RPG!

I have my post up for Tror, so, Gwath, you may respond to Tror's troubles if you wish. You have my permission to put whatever you want in your post. The advance guard of the Orcs' army and the Dwarves could accidently stumble into each other or the Dwarves could stumble upon Oin and save him from the clutches of Orcs (I believe that's what Legate wanted, but don't let me put words in his mouth), you have lots of scenarios to choose!

Legate, you still need to get that post up for Loni whenever you are ready. A post for Oin will be great right about now too, you may do whichever one first it doesn't matter. We won't have Frar and Tror find Oin until you are ready.

Also, we need some type of chemistry between the citizens in the halls (Loni's speech should take care of it). I'll get a post up for Nisa soon and have her mix with Dimturiel's character, Bain.

Wonderful job everyone! This is so much fun to write with y'all!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #423
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I have my post up for Tror, so, Gwath, you may respond to Tror's troubles if you wish. You have my permission to put whatever you want in your post. The advance guard of the Orcs' army and the Dwarves could accidently stumble into each other or the Dwarves could stumble upon Oin and save him from the clutches of Orcs (I believe that's what Legate wanted, but don't let me put words in his mouth), you have lots of scenarios to choose!

Legate, you still need to get that post up for Loni whenever you are ready. A post for Oin will be great right about now too, you may do whichever one first it doesn't matter. We won't have Frar and Tror find Oin until you are ready.
I am really sorry Groin, I will post something rightaway. Or, to be more specific, either today or during the following two days, for certain. I should say, however, also that I am afraid that after that there will be again some time when I won't be able to participate... but I will try to settle the matters so that it won't be any hindrance during that time.

As for Óin, my idea was rather that he might run far away enough from the Orcs so that he does not meet the Dwarves in any immediately dangerous situation. But then I also thought now that he might actually avoid even the Dwarves altogether, and thus miss Trór's party completely (like, that he really follows some secret path of his own). What would you think about that? Óin would then stumble only on the rest of the Dwarves, and Trór&co. would have no idea what happened to him. If that is possible, like I said. Or does anybody have any other interesting suggestions? If they are interesting, don't be afraid to speak up
Old 04-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #424
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
As for Óin, my idea was rather that he might run far away enough from the Orcs so that he does not meet the Dwarves in any immediately dangerous situation. But then I also thought now that he might actually avoid even the Dwarves altogether, and thus miss Trór's party completely (like, that he really follows some secret path of his own). What would you think about that? Óin would then stumble only on the rest of the Dwarves, and Trór&co. would have no idea what happened to him. If that is possible, like I said. Or does anybody have any other interesting suggestions? If they are interesting, don't be afraid to speak up
*sheepishly raises a hand*

Sounds fine to me, Legate. Perhaps Frar and Tror could find something that would allude the the presumption that Oin is captured or dead like a dropped item of his that they find on an Orc's belt (yes I do expect fighting with Tror, Frar, and the Orcs). Misunderstandings are so much fun in RPGs!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #425
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So Tror and Frar's scouting party (you could call it) is on the move - I thought before that Tror was going to make sure Kor was with the scouting party, but I think I was incorrect? (simply a mistake on my part if so)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #426
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
So Tror and Frar's scouting party (you could call it) is on the move - I thought before that Tror was going to make sure Kor was with the scouting party, but I think I was incorrect? (simply a mistake on my part if so)
The scouting party won't encounter the whole of the Orc army, simply the Vanguard, and won't engage in the MAIN battle. When Tror gets back, that is when he expects Kor to be in the front lines--it will be the more dangerous then.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #427
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yeah, haha, gotchya.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #428
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
*sheepishly raises a hand*

Sounds fine to me, Legate. Perhaps Frar and Tror could find something that would allude the the presumption that Oin is captured or dead like a dropped item of his that they find on an Orc's belt (yes I do expect fighting with Tror, Frar, and the Orcs). Misunderstandings are so much fun in RPGs!
Done! I have let (as you may notice) Óin lose his tinderbox, and it may be really some sort of special one, so you can make Trór or Frár find it on some dead Orc (who found it and picked it, because it's nice. Or simply because he is a tracker and kept it as a track. Well, you don't have to solve this question). Óin is now free to be approached by ANY character, and I would especially encourage people who have not posted that much or have not interacted much with my characters yet. (Groin, with all respect, I think our characters had enough interaction among themselves, I would prefer Óin to interact with somebody else's character ) Óin needs to be informed yet specifically about how did Balin die, and he will also convey his news about the approaching Orcs (somebody may just use it in his/her post, it's not necessary that I reply to it in particular - you may as well just say "Óin then told XXX all he saw, about the Warg Riders and heavy-armoured orcs and battering rams etc.").

Durelin, you can write Kór's (and/or Kórin's) reaction to Onli's "invitation", and even make them approach Náli if I am not here to post (again, just say "Onli led him...") - or, if you wish to engage some longer dialogue before that, go ahead.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #429
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
(Groin, with all respect, I think our characters had enough interaction among themselves, I would prefer Óin to interact with somebody else's character )
Sound perfectly alright, Legate. That was one jim-dandy of a post, it will give Frar and Tror a lot to work with!

Lommy, that was a great post for Vigdis! Glad to see that your stay in Portugal did not stunt your writing abilities!

While I am waiting for Gwath's character to respond, I will have a post up for Nali soon, as well as for Nisa. I want to see if Dimituriel's character is still hanging around.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #430
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm thinking that right now would be a perfect place to put a post from the author's (Drok's) point of view. Doric will pop in every now and then, usually at the end and beginning of days to move things along speedily. I just want to get the weapons distributed amongst the Dwarves without too much superfluous posting. I won't assign special weapons to specific characters, I will leave that up to y'all.

Remember, the weapons from the Third Deep are special specimens of Dwarven craft! They were created back in the golden age of Khazad-dum, so PLEASE feel free to describe the wonder and awe of your characters chain mail, axe, shield, helm, leggings, ect.

P.S. I don't think I mentioned Gwath's awesome Khuzdul words! I absolutely was awed at how you took different Dwarf words and meshed them together, Gwath!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 04-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #431
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
I don't think I mentioned Gwath's awesome Khuzdul words! I absolutely was awed at how you took different Dwarf words and meshed them together, Gwath!
It's really easy; there's a couple different websites that have Khuzdul wordlists, and then you just go along and stick 'em together and change the vowels until they sound right. Some of you other writers should try it.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #432
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Say, Groin - you haven't been watching "Henry V" recently, by any chance, have you?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #433
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Say, Groin - you haven't been watching "Henry V" recently, by any chance, have you?
Reading yes, but not watching! Those old black and white movies are good, but I'd prefer someone like Erill (I think that's how you spell it) Flynn playing Henry V instead of that sorry substitute actor.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #434
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Reading yes, but not watching! Those old black and white movies are good, but I'd prefer someone like Erill (I think that's how you spell it) Flynn playing Henry V instead of that sorry substitute actor.
I love Errol Flynn's movies (Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Santa Fe Trail, Robin Hood, etc.)! Good old-fashioned swashbucklers. But it sounds as if you haven't seen the Kenneth Branagh version of "Henry V"; if this is the case, I highly recommend it.

[/off-topic]
Old 04-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #435
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I love Errol Flynn's movies (Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Santa Fe Trail, Robin Hood, etc.)! Good old-fashioned swashbucklers. But it sounds as if you haven't seen the Kenneth Branagh version of "Henry V"; if this is the case, I highly recommend it.

[/off-topic]
Oh, it is SO good. I love Branagh's Henry V.

Okay, I have not been around for the last month or so. Tell me what is happening, please.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #436
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Oh, it is SO good. I love Branagh's Henry V.
Thanks so much for mentioning that Gwath and Foley! I'm going downtown today and rent it from the movie store tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Okay, I have not been around for the last month or so. Tell me what is happening, please.
The main thing is that the citizens have been assembled, and as of my last post, are being armed. Defenses are being erected by soldiers, and Tror and Frar, with some sixty warriors, are out searching for Oin. However, Oin has bypassed them and made it to Khazad-dum in a slight snow storm.

Was I too general? I don't want to spoil the plot for when you go back and read the posts.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #437
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Was I too general? I don't want to spoil the plot for when you go back and read the posts.
That's quite alright - thanks.

Did you get Henry V? Did you like it?

-- Foley
Old 04-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #438
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Legate - I left my post open for Onli to say something about Korin intending to go with Kor (or anything), but if you'd rather skip over to keep things moving or you don't have the time/desire to post, it's of course fine to just assume that Onli leads them both to Nali (I might just add a bit to my post then).
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #439
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nice job around here. Done, I have posted something short for Onli and I guess it's Náli's turn in this affair. Óin is waiting for anybody to approach him, and Lóni will probably do something... later. I don't have any particular ideas as to what to post for him right now. Although... hmm. We'll see.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #440
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Nice job around here. Done, I have posted something short for Onli and I guess it's Náli's turn in this affair. Óin is waiting for anybody to approach him, and Lóni will probably do something... later. I don't have any particular ideas as to what to post for him right now. Although... hmm. We'll see.
Welcome back, Legate! I hope that you had a great Easter!

I'll get something up for Nali soon. Nice job with Onli, it will make for some interesting writing fuel later on.

Hey Gwath, you can go ahead and post for Frar whenever you want. I'll get something up for Tror soon and see if we can find Oin's tinderbox.