Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #881
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
If it poses to be a problem I don't mind changing the sex of my character so they can be canon. Haha, you'll have to forgive me for doing that, I got a wee bit too used to RPing on sites that didn't quite exactly stick to things being in canon when it came to characters. As I said though, before I get too into RPing, I can always change her to be a he (got a little dizzy saying that ha!) before I get too far into the RP at the Inn.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #882
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
No, this character will be fun. Plus you've already posted. Let's just run with it.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #883
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Flame of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Flame of Udûn
NAME: Arandon 'The Ghostly Wanderer' (wooooo)

RACE: Man (Ranger of the North)

WEAPONS: Longsword short hunting bow and a dagger

APPEARANCE: A member of the Grey company he would always be seen in his grey cloak as a Physical specimen there was nothing much to seperate him from any man he was 6'2 of a lithe frame though this is accentuated by the looseness of his clothes He is almost always unshaven with a wild brown beard and a scruffy head of shoulder-length hair. He will often be seen (if at all) sitting quietly in the corner puffing on a pipe slowly and carefully supping at a mug of Ale.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Secrecy- both a strength and a weakness it enables him to steer clear of enemies and to eavesdrop on people who think no-one else is listening but it also results in him being very much mistrusted by all he comes across. Loyalty- To those whom he gets close to he is a hugely loyal ally willing to aid them in anything no matter what the dangers Thoughtfulness- Every decision is weighed up carefully in his mind yet this can cause trouble when much faster thinking is required

HISTORY: Born in Arthadian he is the only son of Arandil and his first-born he had 2 sisters Elerien and Yvelda his mother died when he was only 6 giving birth to his youngest sister his father was overcome by this and became little more than a spectre in their lives. During his youth he would often wander the land becomming especially fond of the Hills of Evendim which he would climb and look in wonder at the ancient capital of Arnor. On reaching his teens he began to acquire the skills of a Ranger learning to hunt, track, ride and fight. A few years later his sisters were killed by Orcs this has left him with a burning hatred for the creatures and led to his highly secretive nature.

---------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-08-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #884
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome to the Perch, Flame of Udun. (Mind if we call you Flame?) You can post to the game thread whenever you like. Looking forward to see how your character interacts ... especially with Merrlyn's character, Aeron.

-- Foley
Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #885
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Rangers are slowly coming out of the wood works, it seems. It will prove to be most interesting, no doubt.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #886
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

thank you Foley you can certainly call me flame I shall have to have a look at much more of this thread in order to see how my character will work best.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #887
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

This may be a silly question, Flame, but does Arandon's grey cloak have the dunedain star as a brooch? I didn't want to assume anything where you didn't state it in your description.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #888
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

yes I had intended it to sorry justleft it as an assumption that he would be wearing it
Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #889
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Name: Ibin

Race: Man

Weapons: A dagger and hunting bow.

Appearance: Upon entrance into the inn, his shoulder-length brown hair is disheveled and wild, his face is pale, and his clothes are dirty and unkept. He wears a shirt that might have been once white, brown pants knee-high boots, and a coat made of animal pelts. His face is long and lean and weather-beaten.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: He's never satisfied where he is at the present moment. He is quick to anger, and not quick to make up. He is sullen and may appear sulky frequently. When he sets his mind to it, he can intervene between two other people's arguments and is able to pacify the two fighters, but the problem is, he's rarely a bystander in a disagreement and is usually the person with the disagreement. He is something of a drunkard, when he has any money with which to buy anything to get drunk on.

History: Ibin was born in Bree, but he quarreled with his father when he was younger than twenty to such a degree that his father, having quite a bad temper himself, kicked him out of his house. Ibin has been wandering from place to place since, learning to hunt to keep meat on his bones, and taking a job at an odd farmhouse here or there. He never kept a job for long because of his foul temper and quarrelsome nature.

-----------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #890
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, ladies and gents, I have introduced this despicable new character into the inn. Either Flame or Merrelyn could conceivably respond to my last post. Make it fun, guys. Don't be boring and don't be shy.

-- Foley
Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #891
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Interesting character, Folwren!

I also edited Aeron's bio (more specifically the part dealing with her area of charge). But it will not interfere with the story thus far.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #892
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, boy, this is more fun than I thought.

Please note: Any thoughts expressed in my character's posts are not necessarily reflections of my own thoughts on other people's characters.

Flame or Merrelyn it's all yours. If you're thinking of having Arandon completely trash Ibin and if you're not already familiar with the rules of interaction with other people's characters here on the Barrow Downs RPGing forums, please brush up on that before you start the fight....................

whooops. I went to look up the rules myself, and it appears that I'm breaking the bounds. Okay, it appears that according to this post that no violence whatsoever is allowed in the inn. So...that means we need to consider our options and not play up a fight, (unless Pio gives us special permission? ). I promise to either get rid of Ibin or not cause him to be so provoking after this post, depending on what you all do.

Tell you what, have your characters respond as you think they would, and then we'll decide what must be done. If that includes evictiong Ibin from the inn forcibly, so be it. (Note, I do not promise that he'll stay out. I'm playing this by ear.)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #893
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

I am afraid that I will be unable to post for a few days as I'm off to Scotland, please feel free to utilise Arandon till I return.

Flame
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #894
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame of Udûn View Post
I am afraid that I will be unable to post for a few days as I'm off to Scotland, please feel free to utilise Arandon till I return.
Thanks, but that likely will be unnecessary. Good move in getting him to step outside. That will enable us to play unrestrained within doors.

Have fun in Scotland!

-- Folwren
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #895
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
<--- Is rather nervous.

Name: Hamwill

Race: Man (of Bree)

Weapons: None, except a rather heavy-looking and disheveled tome which might be applied to someone's head at need.

Appearance: Though tall, around 6 feet, he is slightly muscled and rather light. He wears mostly an unimpressive tunic and pants, with a wide-brimmed hat added occasionally. When it is not on, his hair appears rather disheveled. He is pale, with brown eyes.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: Hamwill has always had an insatiable thirst for knowledge, leading him to travel much farther than your typical Bree-lander, though still only a small way by the standards of most of the world.

Because of this, he has a large, if somewhat limited by his origins, store of knowledge about many things. He has come to the Shire to study herb-lore and history. He tends to become extremely excited when faced with an opportunity to obtain knowledge, though when he is calm, he can outthink most of those he encounters. He tries to avoid fighting as much as possible.

-----------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #896
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Don't be nervous, Bom! Welcome to the Perch! Your bio looks fine, so you can post in the game thread whenever you like.

Looking forward to playing with you!

-- Folwren
Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #897
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Bom

Penny has just made you an offer of a makeshift pencil

~*~ Pio
Old 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #898
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Please remember that all posts to the Inn must be at the least 2 paragraphs in length. And each of those paragraphs needs to be made up of at least 2 sentences.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #899
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

*grimaces* Very sorry. I had been trying to keep that in mind . . . I have edited my post.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #900
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
<--wants to join the fun, and is also a bit nervous

Name: Alferad Brandybuck (Al)

Race:
Hobbit

Weapons: None. He carries a bag with his belongings (mostly food) and a pipe. When needed he can make use of his fists and whatever comes to hand.

Appearance: He is rather tall for a hobbit – almost 4 feet. He is wearing travelling pants; the blue vest on top of his shirt is fashionable, and rather expensive. Al is rather chubby, even for a hobbit, but his roundness is hidden by a green travelling cloak. Under his hood, his brown curly hair is plastered to his head.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: Al is a loud person. He cannot sit in the corner watching someone else show off; he has to be in the center of things. He cannot bear to be ignored. Al is inconsistent, and more than a bit hypocritical. He is quite conceited, boisterous, and rash. He is good at bargaining – and arguing – but sometimes his temper gets the better of him and physical arguments come into play.

History: He spent most of his life in Brandy Hall with his parents and numerous siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and other relatives. His mother is a Took, and his closest maternal family lives in Tookbank. One day Al’s mother suggested rather firmly that he should think about visiting his kin over the Brandywine. The prospect of spending weeks is a “rusty village”, as he thought of Tookbank in comparison to Brandy Hall, did not appeal much to him, but he had several reasons for agreeing. Firstly, it would improve his slightly shaky reputation. Like a true hobbit, Al cared about being respected, although like a true youngster he didn’t act that way at all. Secondly, his father and his grandparents approved his mother’s idea. Al definitely did not want to start a conflict with his family. A very important factor in his decision was that his mother was known to get tough. Although all these were valid reasons for not making a scandal out of the affair, what really made Al change his mind was the sudden desire to travel independently, without supervision – to be able to do whatever he pleases – even if this would only last until he reached Tookbank, where he would again be under the constant surveillance of his aunts and uncles. This desire was so strong that he convinced his parents not to send any of his siblings or cousins with him. His excuse was that he would get to know his maternal family better without them in the way.

Up to now Al was fairly content with his freedom. One of his first independent decisions was to go by the Golden Perch Inn and stay there for a night or two. The promise of the best beer in the Eastfarthing appealed to him greatly.

EDIT: Sorry I made it so long. I got carried away. I can shorten it to a readable length if you want.

---------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-21-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #901
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Don't be nervous! The bio is not too long. I am very excited to have another hobbit join us! Post to the Inn as soon as you like.

I should be able to post tomorrow, folks. Sorry for the hold up.

-- Foley
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #902
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Al and Ibin are going to have a fun time together! I'm excited for their meeting. One fight is enough for now, though, don't you think?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #903
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okedoke, I posted, covering a multitude of my tardiness.

Flame, I responded to Aradon, but I fear I left him again. However, I noted that Aeron and Arandon are still nearby each other.

Bom, I've addressed your character.

Galadriel, I've posted Dick bringing your character some beer and now he is standing right next to him.

If you're wanting interaction between Ibin and Al, I'm quite willing to do it. But I wasn't creative enough today and didn't have enough time to drum up creativity to figure out how to bring Ibin into conversation with Al...so...if you want to do that, go right ahead.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #904
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
If you're wanting interaction between Ibin and Al, I'm quite willing to do it. But I wasn't creative enough today and didn't have enough time to drum up creativity to figure out how to bring Ibin into conversation with Al...so...if you want to do that, go right ahead.
Maybe we'll do that a little later. When I imagine Ibin and Al together, I get fight as a result. I don't think Dick will enjoy sorting out another quarrel.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #905
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Maybe we'll do that a little later. When I imagine Ibin and Al together, I get fight as a result. I don't think Dick will enjoy sorting out another quarrel.
No, indeed - he would be very cranky.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #906
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Thank you very much, Galadriel55 - if it wasn't for the opportunity to be conveniently interrupted, I never would have been able to figure out what to edit my incorrectly-formatted post to. :P Though it is odd that it was (still) incorrectly formatted . . . since I'd edited it two days ago to correct it, per piosenniel's statement.

Last edited by Bom Tombadillo; 02-12-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #907
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You shouldn't thank me - Al will probably drive poor Hamwill nuts in no time! And when that happens, feel free to apply the heavy tome to his head.

Funny how Al's awkward pause of confusion turned out to be "loosing his nerve".
Old 02-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #908
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

hehe...well, to those in the inn, it looked like he did loose his nerve for a minute.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #909
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Foley, I have a question. On the previous page in the game thread, there was a completely different story going on. What happened to Idhreniel, Mithalwen, Amadi, and the others? Are they still in the inn?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #910
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I hope you don't mind - I thought I'd try out that abbreviated character sketch form recommended on the Measure of Success thread.

I'll be bringing in this character, unless there is an objection:

NAME: Tolman (Tolly) Bramble
AGE/GENDER/RACE/WHERE FROM: 65 y/o/Hobbit/Willowbottom
APPEARANCE: About 3’5”, light brown curly hair, stocky build.
BITS OF CHARACTER/HISTORY YOU FEEL MIGHT BE HELPFUL IN DEFINING THE CHARACTER: Single; avid fisherman, for his own sport and for business – makes some excellent smoked fish which he supplies to a number of Inns and sells at various markets in the South Farthing.

LINKED - Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-17-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #911
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Hey, Pio

I've left an opening for a little contact between Tolly and your Iris.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #912
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Ducking my head in here to alert you all of a game opportunity, The King's Players. It's intended to be a short, but intense game, and will accept players of variable commitment, even after gameplay has started. Do check it out!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #913
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Thumbs up

I think you might find that Tolly likes a sassy woman! Let me think what he might do . . .
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #914
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Foley, I have a question. On the previous page in the game thread, there was a completely different story going on. What happened to Idhreniel, Mithalwen, Amadi, and the others? Are they still in the inn?
Hi Galadriel,

We decided to jump time forward a bit since everything had stalled over the cooks disappearance - those involved had faded away and it was too much for new and itinerant characters to pick up with the general lack of momentum. And we had a succession of new characters who posted a couple of times and disappeared leaving even more tangles - not suprising in the circumstances but hard for the more persistent to work round.

It was mentioned on the previous page of the discussion thread that it would be easier to jump forward to give everyone a clean slate. Old characters are free to return if so inclined. I intend to come back with a new character who might stick around. If so you will prolly get news of my alter-ego.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #915
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Hi, Galadriel. No, I believe that I started a new day and the only customer I had in the inn was the old gaffer who's name escapes me. Since then, all the characters in the inn have players currently up to date.

Looks like Mith already got you the answer, just thought I'd confirm it.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #916
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

I apologize for my infrequent posting - I'm working on one as I type (not this one, of course! That's a given anyway.) and you can expect my posting to become more regular and frequent around Tuesday.

Galadriel: No plans to apply the tome to anybody's head juuuust yet. I do hope you don't terribly mind my riling your character up, since that's my current goal (completely accidentally on my character's part, with malice aforethought on mine) - and feel free to do the same the other way around.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #917
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Oh yes, Al will be riled up nice and proper! *Serves him right.*
I'll work on what exactly he'd be annoyed most about and what will he'll brag about.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 02-17-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #918
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Bom: Al replied to Hamwill. He's furious! I didn't get to the bragging yet, though; that'll be in the next post. Beware: when that happens you'll have to read through a novel of Al's family's doings - and not a bit of what Hamwill probably wants to hear. Oh, and you'll also hear a lot of stories about Al himself, but I won't spoil it for you.

And you can do whatever you want to Al. The more offhand it will be, the madder he'll become.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #919
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Foley, what sort of time of day is it at the moment.... they were serving bacon not so long ago and while I am not sure there is a wrong time for a bacon sandwich, does that mean it is still morning?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #920
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Mith, I'm imagining around 10 or so by now. Maybe a bit later. Definitely time for second breakfast and nearing on elevenses or an early lunch.