The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
WW CVI: Tol-in-Westeros Game Thread

You reach the Inn at the Crossroads shortly before nightfall. True to its name, it lies at the crossroads near the ford, between the Kingsroad running north-south, the River Road west and the High Road east. The Inn is three stories tall with turrets and chimneys made of white stone. Its south wing is built upon pilings that rise over a bed of weeds, and on the north side there is a stable with a thatch roof and a bell tower. The building is surrounded by a low wall of broken white stones. Smoke drifts from the chimneys, and raucous voices echo in the gathering darkness.

The evening air is turning cold, so you hurry towards the inn. As you get closer, the smell of cooked meat and ale issues from the open door. Though the voices are loud and drunken, they sound happy, and you feel no fear as you enter. Ahead of you is a wooden bar, behind which stands a thick-set dwarf. The room is filled with people, seemingly from all parts of the realm. Ale and good food have clearly done their work, you can see sigils from many houses - Royce, Tully, Greyjoy, Stark – but not a bared weapon in sight. Reassured, you head to the bar.

“And what can I get for you?” the dwarf asks, wiping a mug with a cloth. She has an accent that you recognise as one from across the Narrow Sea, and what's more, she has a long, beautifully plaited dark beard.

“Freak”, you think to yourself, but can't help noticing that for a dwarf, she is actually quite gorgeous.

“A beer,” you say, “and food. And a bed for the night, if you have one.”

“There is indeed one more bed,” she says. “It seems like half the Seven Kingdoms is on the move tonight.” She pours you a drink and calls to the kitchen: “Agan! Food for the newcomer!”

To your surprise, another dwarf appears in the doorway to the kitchen. This one is fair haired and fair bearded, with similar plaiting to the dwarf behind the bar.

“Another one, Kath? Well it’s coming up but there isn’t much left.”

“We can get new supplies on the morrow.” Kath replies. Agan shrugs and returns to the kitchen.

The dark haired dwarf places the mug in front of you.

“Find a seat.” She says. “The food will be with you shortly.”

Leaning forward to pick up your beer, you are seconds from making a height-related pun, when you see the large axe leaning against the bar by Kath’s feet. Shutting your mouth, you lift the mug and turn to face the crowded room. You can see a table with a spare stool and head towards it.

Heads turn as you walk across the room. Somebody catcalls, and you feel a flush creeping onto your face. When you sit down, a rough-looking woman bears down on you.

“Who do you serve?” she asks bluntly, but is seemingly content with your muttered answer. “That's good,” she says, “we don't want no Lannisters here. They cause naught but trouble.”

“Aye,” says a curly-haired man next to her. “It's good of Aganzir and Kath not to let them in. They want the Iron Throne for themselves even if it means killing everyone else in the process.”

Agan brings you your food. It's a stew with beans and carrots and it's a tad too spicy to your liking, but a fresh loaf of bread helps you gulp it down.

Time passes quickly. Your food is soon gone and your first ale is followed by a second, a third, a fourth. The customers are easy company, though you try to keep out of some of the more political conversations. With so many different houses around it would be easy to get drawn into deeper issues than which of the seven kingdoms has the best ale.

You glance at the bar and see the two dwarves drinking from huge pints, deep in a conversation with a strangely tanned man, half of his body pale and half brown. You wonder if it's pure chance or a strange emblem of the house he serves. Two yellow-haired girls are playing soft music in front of the fireplace, the red light flickering on their instruments. You are starting to feel tired, but your curiosity is piqued when you hear the tanned man call loudly:

“Oy, girls, play us a jig to dance to!”

As the music gets faster, the fair dwarf leads him to the centre of the floor grinning widely, and starts to teach him steps to a dance that looks fairly complicated to you. The audience laughs and cheers them on, but after a while they give up. Agan wipes her brow and looks mischievously at Kath, who is still standing at the bar.

Agan inclines her head towards the middle of the floor. Kath folds her arms and shakes her head firmly. A sly grin creeps onto Agan’s face as she sidles towards the bar. Kath raises her hands to ward Agan off, but the move backfires as the other dwarf grabs both hands and hauls her away from the bar.

“No!” She hisses, dragging her heels and trying to fall back.

“Come on!” Agan wheedles, not loosening her grip.

“Agan, I swear …” The sentence is lost as the musicians strike up again, playing a rousing tune that has many other patrons on their feet, but you can see that Kath is unhappy.

“Agan, let go of me!” Kath hisses, but Agan has a tight hold on Kath's hands, and she has no choice but to dance. Some patrons are watching them with a benign interest. “I am seriously angry with you right now,” you hear Kath say in a low, fast voice, and then she continues, to a lull in the music, “I'm going to rip your beard off! I'm going to rip it off and shove it down your throat!”

Agan doubles over laughing, and Kath stalks back to the bar. Back in the safety of her barrels and mugs, she claps her hands sharply and says with a hint of tension: “Alright everyone! The single rooms are on the second floor, the shared rooms are on the third.”

Little by little, the patrons start drifting towards their beds, you among them.

~ ~ ~

NIGHT 1 BEGINS IN ONE HOUR

WOLVES MAY DISCUSS

BEAR AND MAIDEN MAY SHARE LOVING WHISPERS

SEER MAY DREAM

Admin Thread ~ http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18753
Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The Inn was quiet. Kath was polishing the bar, and Agan sat on a stool counting pennies meticulously.

“Did you see the black cloth sticking out from beneath that one person's cloak?” Agan asked. “Surely a brother of the Night's Watch on the run.”

“Or on an errand to the south,” Kath retorted. “Anyway it's not just the Night's Watch who wear black. I served beer – well, several beers actually – to somebody with amazingly violet eyes. If I didn't know better I could've sworn they were a Targaryen's eyes.”

“You've never seen a Targaryen. And they've died out. Puff. All gone, and a good thing that is. We don't need any more Mad Kings.”

“I’m not sure that a Mad King wouldn’t be better than a Lannister on the throne. I am sure I saw crimson and gold underneath some of those dark cloaks.”

Agan shuddered at the very thought of lions in her bar and peered closely at the money she was counting. She couldn’t see anything gold, but that was no real comfort.

“And better violet eyes than glowing blue.” Kath continued. “I’ve heard tales of those walkers in the North, the Night’s Watch bring strange stories in return for a drink.”

“Never mind mysterious tales from north of the Wall,” Agan interrupted. “I’ve a better story from right here in the Inn!”

Kath’s eyes glinted with interest and she leant forwards on the bar, hand under her chin, ready to listen.

“You saw those two; the big and hairy bloke and the fair-haired girl? They came in separately and sat separately but exchanged lovesick glances all evening.”

“Oh, those two! They both seemed really upset about getting beds in gender-specific dorms!” Kath exclaimed. “I rather think we are seeing a tryst here. Not that it's anything special! I wonder if they'll sneak out.”

“Do lock the door, Kath, and hide the key in its usual place! The times being what they are, we don't want any negligent lovers to leave our door open for sellswords and robbers.”

“Yes yes,” Kath said and dug the large key out of her pocket.

“I'll go bar the kitchen door,” Agan said

Heading off in different directions, the two dwarves had no chance against the evils that were about to befall them. As Agan marched off toward the kitchen, three shadows slid down the stairs and followed her trail. As Kath turned her back on the room to lock the heavy wooden door, a faint whisper, as if of hair moving in a breeze, made her turn back.

“Agan?” She called, uncertain.

There was no reply.

She hid the key and pocketed the coins Agan had left on the table. She flicked crumbs from the table idly and shifted her weight, and wondered what was keeping Agan. Then she followed her. What she saw in the kitchen made her gag. There was Agan, crumpled on the floor and covered in blood. Her throat had been slit neatly, and there were gashes and cuts all over her body. She was still breathing shallowly, but as Kath rushed to embrace her, the tears in her eyes blurring her vision, she sighed once and was still.

“Oh, they will pay for this, they will!” Kath snarled, and made for the axe behind the bar. Her tiny footprints mixed with the traces of huge paws on the bloody floor.

Even through her furious tears, something about those pawprints caught Kath’s attention. The tracks were crossed and muddled, yet there was something different. Kath bent closer to the floor, to one print in particular. Surely those others were the marks of some great cat but this one, this one was … a bear?
As though thinking of the creature conjured it before her, a great paw scythed through the air above Kath’s head. Before she could do much as scream, claws gored into her back, stabbing through her heart. Blood bubbling from her mouth, she too collapsed to the ground and was still.

~ ~ ~

As the patrons woke up gradually, they realised something was wrong. The Inn was chilly, and there was no smell of cooking. When Kitanna got downstairs, Eönwë and Inzil were already there.

“The fire hasn't been lit,” pointed out Eönwë.

“It looks like our hostesses are sleeping late this morning,” said Inzil.

“I'll take the liberty to pour myself a beer then,” Kitanna said.

A short time later, Encai pranced downstairs, followed by wilwa and Boro.

“Where are Agan and Kath?” she asked.

“Let's go look for them,” said Boro, “I want my breakfast.”

“I believe their room is in the second floor,” said wilwa.

On the stairs Boro and wilwa ran into Lottie and Nerwen, and together they proceeded to Agan and Kath's door. Lottie knocked but there was no reply, and Nerwen pushed the door open. The room was empty, the bed unslept-in.

“Something must be wrong,” Lottie said.

“They wouldn't just have left,” Nerwen agreed. Suddenly there came a cry from downstairs. G55 was standing at the kitchen floor, looking pale.

“I think... I think I've found them,” she whispered.

Greenie and WythDryden came through the doorway, having been alerted by G55’s scream.

“By all the gods,” Greenie whispered, “who could have done this?”

“Not who,” WythDryden replied, “but what.”

“He’s right!” Eomer’s voice called from the main room. As the others made their way back to him, they saw that he was pointing down at the ground, where bloodied prints were still clearly marked.

“Are those … lion prints?” Rikae asked.

“And bear prints.” Mac added after a closer inspection.

Cop, face peering through the mounds of shawls that surrounded her, nodded with a sad sigh.

“To think, two peaceful creatures murdered as we slept. It’s despicable.”

“How did they get in though – or out?” asked Nogrod. “The front door is locked, and so is the back door. I can't find the key. And the windows are too small!”

“Maybe they didn't get out. Maybe they're still here with us,” said Volo ominously to the quiet room.

“Oi! Is this a torn Lannister cloak I see?” Gil cried suddenly from a corner in his Braavosi accent, holding up a piece of crimson fabric with a lion clearly stitched on it in golden thread. “Do we have traitors in our midst?”

“I am afraid all the signs point to what Gil just said being true. There are murderers here,” sally concluded.

“And we cannot get out,” said skip, hitting the door. The lock rattled but the door didn't budge. The patrons fell silent, the realisation of their bleak situation dawning upon them. The silence was only broken by a voice from the middle of the stairs:

“What's this commotion?” asked Lommy, sleepy-eyed and smiling, “and what's for breakfast?”

~ ~ ~

DAY 1 HAS BEGUN
VILLAGERS – DISCUSS YOUR WOES!

Dead:
Agan
Kath

Alive:
Eönwë - house Royce
Inziladun - house Tully
Kitanna - illiterate peasant
Encaitare - random peasant
Thinlómien - house (Stannis) Baratheon
wilwarin538 - house Mormont
Boromir88 - house Bolton
Loslote - illiterate Tyrell cousin
Nerwen - house Martell
Galadriel55 - wildling
A Little Green - house Reed
WythDryden - house Martell
Eomer of the Rohirrim - house Stark
Rikae - house Tarth
Macalaure - house Connington
Coppermirror - crazy Northern hermit
Nogrod - house Swann
Colin "Volo" Mute - house (Euron) Greyjoy
Gil-Galad - First Baker of Braavos
satansaloser2005 - random peasant
skip spence - ex-Lannister Imp

Last edited by Kath; 06-24-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There's three peasants, three lions. So obviously Sally, Enca, and me...oh wait. Well, that simply isn't correct...
Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Would like to start by saying that the fact that House Mormont is from Bear Island and our blazon is a black bear is purely coincidental and has nothing to do with a certain role. And here I was prepared to make stupid bear puns for most of the game and they went and added that role and ruined my fun

Can't believe I'm playing WW, been like 3 years, this is so exciting
Old 06-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Would like to start by saying that the fact that House Mormont is from Bear Island and our blazon is a black bear is purely coincidental and has nothing to do with a certain role. And here I was prepared to make stupid bear puns for most of the game and they went and added that role and ruined my fun

Can't believe I'm playing WW, been like 3 years, this is so exciting
And I was about to post "glares suspiciously at Wilwa Mormont" when I saw that you'd already mentioned it...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
÷÷Zil
÷÷Kit
÷÷Lommy
÷÷Boro
÷÷Lottie
÷÷Nerwen
÷÷Nog
÷÷Sally
÷÷Greenie
÷÷Cop

Because I've never played with you, ever.

÷÷Steve
÷÷Eomer
÷÷Wilwa
÷÷Rikae

Because I've just played with you a week ago.

÷÷Enca
÷÷Mac
÷÷Volo
÷÷Gil
÷÷skip

Because I've played with you every single game I played.

÷÷Wyth

Because you're such an old-timer, I'm bored of you.

I love all of you. AND I'M PLAYING WEREWOLF AGAIN!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A week ago? You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Edit: Ah, never mind, none of that makes sense.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I thought I'd sleep under a proper roof for once, but look, look at those prints on the floor! If I'd slept in the woods and saved my coin, at least I wouldn't be stuck in here with murdering animals. T'isn't right. T'isn't right! At least in the wilds, the beasties don't use lies and treachery to eat their fill. They don't kill peaceful folks as give them a warm place to sleep an' a meal. The beasts in here with us are wrong 'uns, going against nature. I bet they weren't even hungry when they killed those two peaceful critters who welcomed us all here.

Out where I live an' sometimes wander, I don't hear many rumours. But those I do hear, ah, the tallest tales come from those who wander too. I've seen many a thing that folks like you wouldn't believe. A hill that walks! A stag with ten sets of antlers! A boiling stream in the dead of winter! You think I'm lying, you do, but those are all the truth. An' I've heard tales from others. Some of those who travel far into the North tell tales of bear creatures that shift their form...maybe like the cruel beat who in all seeming is here locked in with us all.

What I'd like to know is, can those who are said to be blessed with powers of perception beyond the ken of normal folk see such things as hairy bears and any who might cavort with 'em? I'm going to ask! I'm going to ask THIS MUG OF ALE, THIS MUG OF ALE RIGHT HERE. MUG OF ALE, WHAT SAY YOU?
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post

Edit: Ah, never mind, none of that makes sense.
My guess is she's making some sort of GoT reference based on our chosen houses in relation to her as a wilding and I just don't get it...

....or she's lost her mind.

x'ed with Coppermirror
Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
No, the first list is people who I've played with (relatively) recently, the second - a long time ago, and the last ones - never. Or at least I don't remember ever playing with them.

Quote:
My guess is she's making some sort of GoT reference based on our chosen houses in relation to her as a wilding and I just don't get it...

....or she's lost her mind.
Well, you know, one does not necessarily contradict the other. I lost my mind a long long time ago, when I got into a quarrel with a couple Thenns. Couldn't find it ever since. I think one o' them stole it.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post
What I'd like to know is, can those who are said to be blessed with powers of perception beyond the ken of normal folk see such things as hairy bears and any who might cavort with 'em? I'm going to ask! I'm going to ask THIS MUG OF ALE, THIS MUG OF ALE RIGHT HERE. MUG OF ALE, WHAT SAY YOU?
Not so much as a slosh...Then, I'll ask this fine axe, that's leaning against the wall here. I can read, you know, an' I can see "MODDESS" engraved on its handle. That's a good omen. AXE, WHAT SAY YOU? Are there those who can tell such things? A sharp axe like you, you'd know much better than anything here, I reckon.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So, our hosts were killed by a lion and a bear? Now all we need are tigers.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ours Is The Fury

Team Stannis got added into my name? Yesss. There is only one true King in Westeros and it's Stannis Baratheon! Death to the Lannister usurpers!

So without further ado, let me scrutinize you -

Eönwë - house Royce - obviously our ranger and will be the first one to die.
Inziladun - house Tully - since we're in the Riverlands, shouldn't he have been there to protect his subjects? Apparently the Tullys don't care too much about the smallfolk, but I admit they're not big fans of the Lannisters.
Kitanna - illiterate peasant - might be Davos Seaworth in disguise so I'm naturally inclined to trust her.
Encaitare - random peasant - in the world of George R.R. Martin, nothing is random so she's probably a Lannister or Targaryen bastard and bears watching.
Thinlómien - house (Stannis) Baratheon - Stannis not Robert, Stannis not Robert, STANNIS NOT ROBERT, I'm not a Lannister ok???
wilwarin538 - house Mormont - don't the Mormonts breed with bears? Obviously a lover.
Boromir88 - house Bolton - House Bolton? They stab their friends in the back and skin their enemies. Neither is a good option so we should probably lynch him asap.
Loslote - illiterate Tyrell cousin - everybody knows the Tyrells are in cahoots with the Lannisters so we should get rid of her.
Nerwen - house Martell - known for having a grudge with the Lannisters. That looks god in my books.
Galadriel55 - wildling - shouldn't that filth stay beyond the wall?
A Little Green - house Reed - don't have much to say except those frog people seem to know more about everything than us others. Not too happy about that.
WythDryden - house Martell - see what I said about Nerwen.
Eomer of the Rohirrim - house Stark - despite the fact that this game has werelions I'm naturally suspicious of someone who carries a wolf in their banner. Enough said.
Rikae - house Tarth - ah but is she the bear or the maiden fair? Better still not to lynch her yet because a gallant knight might dream of her and want to rescue her and get the bear killed in process.
Macalaure - house Connington - what is House Connington famous for? Being Targaryen loyalists and getting bitch slapped by Lannisters. Maybe we should keep him for amusement value.
Coppermirror - crazy Northern hermit - crazy Northern hermit? So our see... oops, I didn't say anything. Probably no one special.
Nogrod - house Swann - a house famously torn in loyalties. Should be watched.
Colin "Volo" Mute - house (Euron) Greyjoy - Euron Crow's Eye? No relation to the three-eyed crow? Are you serious?
Gil-Galad - First Baker of Braavos - my King kind of owns the Braavosi so I should probably shut up.
satansaloser2005 - random peasant - see what I said about Encai.
skip spence - ex-Lannister Imp - how can you be an ex-Lannister as all they care about is legacy? Surely you are a Lannister or are not. Extra minus for pouring wildfire on my King's head.

Ergo:

Wolves - Skip, Eomer and Sally or Encai, or possibly Nogrod, Lottie or me

Lovers - Wilwa and Rikae

Seer - Coppermirror (or possibly Volo)

Ranger - Eönwë

Hunter - the one of Encai and Sally that isn't a wolf, or possibly Mac

See, I solved the game purely based on ic stuff. Can I have cake now?

Going to bed now, I'm too tired to think about dynamics with a changed hunter and a werebear and their lover. You guys be good and figure it out while I sleep. I'll be back around the European noon and make more sense then.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Posting to subscribe...will return after I perform a routine leeching
Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm too tired to think about dynamics with a changed hunter and a werebear and their lover. You guys be good and figure it out while I sleep.
I can do that!

So with the bear and the maiden basically what we want is for the bear to lose his killing power, and there's a few ways for that to happen; either he is killed or his maiden dies. So really either of them dying would be good and would get rid of the double night kill. But, the interesting thing is that we don't want to be the ones to kill one of them first, cause that would create a cobbler. So we basically have to hope that the wolves kill one of them so that the other will just be an ord. Kind of interesting that we want to avoid lynching the bear, very weird!

With the changed hunter one of the interesting things is they can't reveal or they lose their power. I love this rule, because I don't think the hunter should ever reveal, it makes their ability kinda useless.

Now with the coin toss the better result depends on where we are in the game. If it tosses that they survive an extra day that could be very useful closer to the end of the game when we need as many goodies as possible, where them dying and possibly taking down another innocent could be very detrimental,so it's better to just have them around (and I would assume we would know their role and be told it's their last day alive? so we'd also have a known innocent if that's the case). However, earlier in the game we would want them to get to use their power and hopefully take down a baddie, and if they accidentally take down an innocent we are still early enough in the game where our numbers are big enough to be able to not feel it as much as we would later.

Does that all make sense? Hopefully I've interpreted the roles correctly. Basically, we want the wolves to kill one of the lovers before we do, and the coin toss could be beneficial in different ways depending on how early it happens.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #16
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Boromir88 - house Bolton - House Bolton? They stab their friends in the back and skin their enemies. Neither is a good option so we should lynch him asap.
Taking the high road is most gracious, but the high road is difficult to follow against Lannisters. And no one kills Lannisters half as well as House Bolton.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Well, bedtime for me. I'll hop on in about 9 hours for a bit before work, will hopefully have lots to read. The deadline is a bit before the end of my work day but thankfully I have a desk job and can pretty easily post from there, assuming I don't get pulled away from my desk unexpectedly I should be able to vote fairly close to the DL. So yeah, hopefully I can still contribute quite a bit (yay for having a reason to slack off )
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
So with the bear and the maiden basically what we want is for the bear to lose his killing power, and there's a few ways for that to happen; either he is killed or his maiden dies. So really either of them dying would be good and would get rid of the double night kill. But, the interesting thing is that we don't want to be the ones to kill one of them first, cause that would create a cobbler. So we basically have to hope that the wolves kill one of them so that the other will just be an ord. Kind of interesting that we want to avoid lynching the bear, very weird!
And both of them want to stay alive, naturally. What's always difficult about a Lover pair is that they can choose which side they want to support, and could change their minds in an instant depending on circumstance. However, the death of one takes away that choice from the survivor. Very interesting indeed.

Quote:
Now with the coin toss the better result depends on where we are in the game. If it tosses that they survive an extra day that could be very useful closer to the end of the game when we need as many goodies as possible, where them dying and possibly taking down another innocent could be very detrimental,so it's better to just have them around (and I would assume we would know their role and be told it's their last day alive? so we'd also have a known innocent if that's the case). However, earlier in the game we would want them to get to use their power and hopefully take down a baddie, and if they accidentally take down an innocent we are still early enough in the game where our numbers are big enough to be able to not feel it as much as we would later.
I agree with the scenario analysis, but the random element makes it a crapshoot. If they do get to kill someone, we have to hope too that they make a helpful choice, as usual.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #19
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Encaitare - random peasant - in the world of George R.R. Martin, nothing is random so she's probably a Lannister or Targaryen bastard and bears watching.
I bear watching, eh? Just what are you implying, madam? And suggesting I am a bastard? My parents are married, and both are very much human.

(Let me remind everyone that I have neither read the books nor watched the show, so any in-world references mean very little to me. Therefore I may be very random indeed!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
And both of them want to stay alive, naturally. What's always difficult about a Lover pair is that they can choose which side they want to support, and could change their minds in an instant depending on circumstance. However, the death of one takes away that choice from the survivor. Very interesting indeed.
I've never played a game with Lovers before, so you bring up a good point. I had not thought that they might choose to support the lions. *clutches head* So basically there are four baddies we need to take out -- three lions and a bear -- plus the remaining lover who will be working against us if we lynch the other one. (Someone please correct me if I've got that wrong!)
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #20
WythDryden
Animated Skeleton

WythDryden has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
WythDryden - house Martell - see what I said about Nerwen.
You are wise to trust me. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than putting to death these bear-lion-maggots. I found these dwarf-women intensely curious, and as I hail from the land of Dorne, I love indiscriminately. Having them taken from us, and cut short the fun we may have had, calls for a vengeance that I can't wait to assume with my spear.

Those illustrious and lustrous beards shall be avenged.
WythDryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Okay, guys, I've figured it out! I know who it was! It was...

(pause for effect)

Kath!

...wait, that's not right...

*ahem*

Well! The next step is figure out how those prints got there! They are animal prints, but I don't see animals in our company - therefore the animals must have turned into people. And we all know who turns into people - witches! And what do we do with witches? We burn them! And what else burns? Wood! And since woods floats, and ducks also float, the killers must weigh the same as a duck! Do we happen to have a set of scales in the inn? This could blow the whole mystery out of the water!

(DL is right towards the end of my work shift this game. I'll maybe be able to check in occasionally, but I probably won't be posting much in the second half of the Day.)
Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
A Lannister, or a Targaryen, and also possibly bears watching?

Quote:
That's true. However, if push comes to shove, I'd trade the extra kill for a cobbler.

Quote:
With the changed hunter one of the interesting things is they can't reveal or they lose their power. I love this rule, because I don't think the hunter should ever reveal, it makes their ability kinda useless.
They become a known innocent. Well, as known as a revealed gifted with no proof can get. Could be helpful under the right circumstances, could be not. At any rate, I think it's for the hunter to decide if revealing at any given moment will pay off rather than keep their ability.

Quote:
The survival ability also gives us the known innocent for an extra day without having a reveal. This is always useful, but especially so towards the end of the game. A live and known innocent! And we would know more from the wolves (bears?) motives without actually having that person killed. Like a Ranger save, except that the Ranger does not have to reveal. I must say, I rather like this option. The other side of the coin is your regular illogical hunter, as I understand.

QUESTION FOR THE MODS: Do both sides of the coin still work if the Targaryen is lynched? Is he still alive the next Day?

EDIT: xed with Lottie
Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #23
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
There's three peasants, three lions. So obviously Sally, Enca, and me...oh wait. Well, that simply isn't correct...
Now, now, Kit, darling, you know very well that's now how numbers work, and you know even better that Enca isn't one of us- um, useful, useful people in the game, since she only joined to help her lad.

*clears throat*

You'll have to forgive dear Kit. She learned to count by cutting into her fingers one at a time, and she accidentally removed a few during the process, so math is a bit difficult for her.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Brief addition about the Lover speculation: I somehow automatically assumed that whatever the Lovers choose to do will not be in our favour, but then who knows. Best case scenario is the Bear killing a wolf/lion (or two or three). And then all remaining living people are happy, including the Lovers (assuming they don't get lynched).

Just some food for thought. It's best served with potatoes, and some carrots, if you have. Good vegetables are hard to come by beyond the Wall, especially in the winter.

EDIT: xed with sally
Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Narya A note about toDay

I found out that we will have a Very Important Visitor at work tomorrow, so I will be unable to access the Downs except during my lunch. If I wake up early enough in the morning, I'll vote before I head to work, but otherwise I'll have to pop in quickly during lunch and catch up as best I can before shooting off a quick vote. Obviously the latter is my preference, but I'll have to see how tomorrow unfolds.

I'm going to try to catch up on the thread before bed, but there doesn't seem to have been much of substance said so far, so I may put it off until morning.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #26
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Ah the first day, or as I like to call it "shot in the dark" day. I will be patient and do my dough-dancing for the guests.

(Just a heads up, I do have a final exam this saturday so ideally my focus will lay in studying for that. If a voting deadline is coming up and I am absent, one or all of the fabulous downers that have me on fb can feel free to msg me to remind me.)

"There is only one god, yeast, and when it refuses to rise we say 'not today'."
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Mac Connington has been sitting in a corner of the inn, quietly. He was friendless here: all kinds of houses of Westeros were present, yet, the Martells aside, all of them loyal subjects of the Usurper. It made him sick. He wished he could feel different about the peasants, but he knew they cared little, as long as they were left alone and had the copper to buy an ale at the inn.

Yet now this inn didn't sell ale anymore, being violently parted from its owners. Maybe this was just the kind of stir needed to bring fat lords and witless smallfolk to a nobler cause. (Comment about incognito Targaryens withheld due to spoilers.)

Mac took off his glove, slowly and deliberately, and inspected his hand. The black nail on his index finger once again brought a frown to his face. He pulled his knife and carefully pricked the fingertip. He felt nothing, and his expression turned bitter. He put away the knife and swiftly slipped the glove back on, and then rose.

"I believe the matter at hand is clear enough. Were-Lannisters have killed our innkeeps, and there is little reason to believe they won't strike again the coming night. Since obviously we can't just leave this cursed place, we need to find who in our midst is secretly the worst among the Usurper's ilk." He looked around the common room in mistrust, then glanced again at his gloved hand. "And we don't have much time to do so! This place is suspiciously quiet and void of a sense of urgency!"

He collected himself, to voice his thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
what is House Connington famous for? Being Targaryen loyalists and getting bitch slapped by Lannisters.
Lommy of House Baratheon, I name you liar! House Connington is also famous for losing crucial and extremely winnable battles.
Also, I'll say it again, I will have nothing to do with that Usurper's lickspittle Ronnel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
And no one kills FOR Lannisters half as well as House Bolton.
I took the freedom to mend your quote for you, Boro of House Bolton.

Wilwa of House Mormont gives good advice concerning lovers and hunter. I agree. Galadriel the wildling adds some sense, too, but Inzil of House Tully's comments on Wilwa's points seem more looking-to-be-helpful rather than actually helpful to me. Then again, Encai finds him helpful, so maybe I'm too eager to find something suspicious in what little has been posted so far.

Last edited by Macalaure; 06-24-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 AM   #28
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
"I believe the matter at hand is clear enough. Were-Lannisters have killed our innkeeps, and there is little reason to believe they won't strike again the coming night. Since obviously we can't just leave this cursed place, we need to find who in our midst is secretly the worst among the Usurper's ilk." He looked around the common room in mistrust, then glanced again at his gloved hand. "And we don't have much time to do so! This place is suspiciously quiet and void of a sense of urgency!"
Hmmn. I do believe Mac Connington talks sense. I've been sitting here listening to you all from my dark corner, and what do I hear? "Bears... Targaryens..." Barely a word from any of you about these murderous were-Lannisters we know are among us. I wonder whose interest it might be in to steer the conversation away from that particular topic?
Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #29
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, let me get this straight.

Good sides to having a bear
- it makes more sense for the bear and his lover to side with us (that would make the odds 18 against 3 and with a double ability to try to take out a wolf).
- even if the bear and his lover don't choose sides yet, they have a reasonable chance of killing a wolf even at random.

Bad sides to having a bear
- two kills per Night. Apparently I'm the only one freaked out by this atm. It's in the bear's interests as well as the wolves' to get rid of the gifted so this does not bode well.
- also, consequently, my maths say that if the bear and his lover choose to side with the wolves, then the worst case scenario is that we can have a total out in the open vote conspiracy that can make the village lose as early as Day4.

Also, I don't personally like the idea of a duo of people who can choose their allegiance having this much power, that's too much of a source of chaos. Otherwise, the ratio 16 innocents against 3 wolves sounds like we shouldn't be too worried, but we should not let it fool us. Let's win rather sooner than later, alright? I'm still annoyed by the wolf victory in the last game!!

In conclusion, we should focus on finding the wolves, but personally I'm not too saddened if the bear and/or his lover become casualties in our wolf hunt. No offense, but I will feel safer without a bear roaming in the Night, even if the bear is trying to kill wolves, because I don't trust anybody's judgement more than the collective judgement of the village. (And honestly I don't see the cobbler as a big problem.)

Now let's just cross our fingers and hope that the bear and the wolves kill each others for us. We can deal with the bear later if they start to become problematic.

edi: xed with Nerwen
Old 06-25-2014, 03:38 AM   #30
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Hmmn. I do believe Mac Connington talks sense. I've been sitting here listening to you all from my dark corner, and what do I hear? "Bears... Targaryens..." Barely a word from any of you about these murderous were-Lannisters we know are among us. I wonder whose interest it might be in to steer the conversation away from that particular topic?
What? Are you joking? This is such a classic wolf post I'm almost willing to give you the benefit of doubt, but not really.

Jumping on someone else's point to create suspicion against a group of people? Check. Throwing around vague suspicion that can't bear close inspection? Check.

Of course people are talking about the bear and the modified hunter this early on. It's always the exceptional rules that start the discussion on Day1 (it was the same last game, for example).

But ironically, your post has started the actual wolf suspicions (both by you suspecting the earlier posters and by me now suspecting you) so maybe I shouldn't complain.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 AM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Oh, and, why on earth does everybody assume the hunter will be a known innocent if s/he lives an extra Day when the rules make it clear s/he can't reveal?

Can we get modly clarification about whether we will get to know who was attacked at Night if it was the hunter and s/he lives?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:01 AM   #32
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Oh, come on, wolves love bear-hunting, Lommy.. Even more than cobbler-hunting.

Quote:
Oh, and, why on earth does everybody assume the hunter will be a known innocent if s/he lives an extra Day when the rules make it clear s/he can't reveal?
No, the hunter can reveal, but becomes an ordo on doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Roolz
When killed, the mods will toss a coin to see if the Targaryen survives another day before quietly passing away or goes mad and takes a person of their choice to the grave with them. However, the mood in the Seven Kingdoms has been so anti-Targaryen lately that if they reveal, they will be bound in a chair to ensure they don't go mad (that is, they lose all their special power).
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #33
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

Quote:

Also, I don't personally like the idea of a duo of people who can choose their allegiance having this much power, that's too much of a source of chaos. Otherwise, the ratio 16 innocents against 3 wolves sounds like we shouldn't be too worried, but we should not let it fool us. Let's win rather sooner than later, alright? I'm still annoyed by the wolf victory in the last game!!

In conclusion, we should focus on finding the wolves, but personally I'm not too saddened if the bear and/or his lover become casualties in our wolf hunt. No offense, but I will feel safer without a bear roaming in the Night, even if the bear is trying to kill wolves, because I don't trust anybody's judgement more than the collective judgement of the village. (And honestly I don't see the cobbler as a big problem.)

Now let's just cross our fingers and hope that the bear and the wolves kill each others for us. We can deal with the bear later if they start to become problematic.
Hi there!

Never played with a bear (and a loving Maiden fair: how beastly!) before. Like you say, they really are an added source of chaos, as if ww wasn't chaotic enough as it is. This may change of course but at present the pair will have no reason to take sides. The bear can of course try to kill a Lion at some point but if it misses the mark it will surely not hesitate to switch sides again and then again if it seems beneficiary, making them as dangerous to the Lions as to the innocents. So we'd better focus on trying to reveal the Lions rather than the Lovers, since they are clear enemies. That's the way I see things at least.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 AM   #34
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
No, the hunter can reveal, but becomes an ordo on doing so.
Right. But shouldn't the hunter do so then, right now? Isn't a known innocent much more useful to the village than an unknown hunter who may take anyone with him?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #35
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks for the clarification, Nerwen! But if the hunter reveals and thus becomes an ordo at the point when s/he wouldn't be live if s/he was an ordo, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Right. But shouldn't the hunter do so then, right now? Isn't a known innocent much more useful to the village than an unknown hunter who may take anyone with him?
That's up to the hunter, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if s/he preferred to take a shot at killing a wolf rather than become a known innocent though.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:42 AM   #36
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Mild spoiler.

I have a cunning plan! How about we all reveal as a Targaryen!
Or on the other hand, maybe not. (oh, how I've missed this smiley) The Targaryen has no sympathies with the usurpers dogs, Lannisters, lions, wolves, whatever they are. No spoiler. So let's leave sleeping dragons sleep.

Lommy's math is ominous. I would rest easier if someone proved her wrong.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #37
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Nerwen! But if the hunter reveals and thus becomes an ordo at the point when s/he wouldn't be live if s/he was an ordo, it doesn't make much sense to me.
But at that point (surviving the Night-kill) the hunter would have no power to lose, so no reason *not* to reveal; at least that's how I read it.

EDit:x'd with Volo.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #38
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Regarding our noble and rightful rulers, the Targaryens, there are three things that could happen:

1. He gets lynched - He will either take somebody down with him, or survive the lynching and live another day. What if wolves/bear target him during the Night, though?
2. He gets killed at Night - Again, the hunter will either take someone down as well, or there is no kill that Night (or one kill less) and he gets to survive through the coming day. In the latter case, will the village be told his identity?
3. He chooses to reveal - I highly doubt the mods will step in and confirm the reveal. Takes away the fun of fake reveals. Demonstration?

I'm the Targaryen!

He looks around the inn, twenty irritated faces staring back at him.

See, nothing is happening. We're south of the Wall, the dwarves aren't going to walk among us coldly again for no good reason. (Clarification on points 1 and 2 would be useful, though. )

Even if there was confirmation, though, the hunter would be crazy to reveal now, considering how useful he could be late in the game. All we would gain is one kill-less Night, since the Night's Watch would take care of him, but the next Night he'd be bread fried in bacon grease.

Aside from this, while I do agree that Nerwen's post was a bit suspicious, Lommy seemed a bit over-eager to jump on it. So.. hmmmm...

(Saw Volo's post as I previewed.)

Last edited by Macalaure; 06-25-2014 at 05:06 AM. Reason: and crosses with Nerwen, too / and forgot a word
Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #39
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
QUESTION FOR THE MODS: Do both sides of the coin still work if the Targaryen is lynched? Is he still alive the next Day?
Yes, both sides are still there - irrespective of the cause of death, the Targaryen either survives an extra day or takes someone to the grave.

Quote:

Can we get modly clarification about whether we will get to know who was attacked at Night if it was the hunter and s/he lives?
A lightning won't strike the Targaryen dead if they reveal during their extra day. Nerwen is quite correct that at that point, they have no special powers left to lose.
The narration will let you know if there's a ranger save or, indeed, if someone refuses to die.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #40
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Mac slaps his thigh at Volo's intro joke.

Now, obviously I don't think we should all reveal as hunters. One fake reveal might stir the pot a little, but many will eventually start to benefit the wolves.

I agree that we will probably be able to figure out the identity of a hunter surviving a Night kill without too much trouble (after all, who would fake reveal at that point, other than maybe a cobbler?).