The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #41
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Indeed. The Mouth is great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't think there was any Osanwe though between 'he' and Aragorn. Aragorn simply daunted him with the ferocity/nobility/strenght/terror of his gaze.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:27 PM   #42
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Aragorn didn't have to "use" Osanwë to intimidate the Mouth, just as any strong person doesn't have to use supernatural skills to intimidate a weaker person. The Mouth of Sauron was perceptive, he had to be to scale the hierarchial ladder like that. At first glance, and shielded by his arrogance and close-mindedness, Aragorn just seemed like another petty king leading a group of "mindless rabble" with a "piece of elvish glass." But with a closer look, the Mouth realized that this was no ordinary person he was messing with.

There is a big, physical difference between a strong, steady person and a weak, vacillating person. You can tell straight off the bat, who is strong and who is weak. Even an Orc could have realized that Aragorn wasn't a man to be trifled with.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #43
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the fact that the Mouth feels he was 'assaulted', indicates there may well have been
osanwe being used by Aragorn, but it is possible that it was in a sort of neutral way, that the Mouth took as an Attack.

It could be Aragorn was probing him to learn the true fate of the Hobbits, noticing the inconsistency of the garments/weapons, some Sam's some Frodo's.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:30 AM   #44
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I've ordered the relevant issue, & thanks, Lindil, for sparking my interest, but as I'm still waiting for it I don't really want to comment too deeply.

One thing that has struck me is a (vague) similarity between Osanwe & Tolkien's fellow inkling, Charles Williams', concept of co-inherence. I can't comment on how similar the two are till I've read the essay, but I'd appreciate the comments of anyone who has read it.

A good account of co-inherence is at: http://www.polarissite.net/page27.html

(short quote from the essay:
"Simply stated, co-inherence is the concept that all human beings are spiritually interconnected and totally dependent on each other. "No man is an island" and so every thought and every action affects other people. In another terminology, humanity shares a "vast spiritual reservoir".).

I'm not saying that they are exactly alike, or that Tolkien 'lifted' the idea from Williams, but this idea of a unity of mind/spirit between individuals is a possible indication that despite Tolkien's assertions, the two men were not all that far apart in their worldview.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:27 AM   #45
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Time to bring this treasure into the daylight again.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:24 AM   #46
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Time to bring this treasure into the daylight again
I second that

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #47
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Bump!

Goodness me LINDIL LIVES!!!!

In celebration I have bumped this thread - so there!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #48
Skolaidhe
Newly Deceased

Skolaidhe has just left Hobbiton.
The Voice of Saruman

This is interesting material. I wonder that no one has mentioned Saruman's ability to enslave the minds of others, through speech, over even great distances. It is by far the most obvious and explicit example of long-term long-distance communication sans palantiri. What makes this doubly interesting is that he does seem to communicate to these poor thralls through words, through language, through the power of his voice.

I will have to read those chapters over, again, with this in mind.
Skolaidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #49
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolaidhe View Post
This is interesting material. I wonder that no one has mentioned Saruman's ability to enslave the minds of others, through speech, over even great distances. It is by far the most obvious and explicit example of long-term long-distance communication sans palantiri. What makes this doubly interesting is that he does seem to communicate to these poor thralls through words, through language, through the power of his voice.

I will have to read those chapters over, again, with this in mind.
Welcome to the Downs!

I don't think Saruman's powers of persuasion with his voice were an example of Osanwe. The latter was a mental means of thought transference, whereas one apparently needed to be in Saruman's presence and listening to his speech to be affected. What instance was there of that power being exerted over long distances?
That appears to be merely part of Saruman's native talents as a Maia, as were Gandalf's gifts with fire and lights.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #50
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I wonder that no one has mentioned Saruman's ability to enslave the minds of others, through speech, over even great distances.
I disagree
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Letter #210
Saruman's voice was not hypnotic but persuasive. Those who listened to him were not in danger of falling into a trance, but of agreeing with his arguments, while fully awake. It was always open to one to reject, by free will and reason, both his voice while speaking and its after-impressions. Saruman corrupted the reasoning powers.
Relevant
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/