The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #481
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Deadline

The deadline has come.

Please stop posting.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #482
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
++Eönwe
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #483
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ugh hey guys remember somebody was also empowered probably!!! This better not go in some weird way.
Oh no...

edit: woops
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #484
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Ugh hey guys remember somebody was also empowered probably!!! This better not go in some weird way.
Hence the caps. Guys, seriously.

x'd since the quoted post, and to Nog, HA!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #485
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Phhffftttt...
Old 07-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #486
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Okay, just sayin' in case, now I am really having this creepy feeling I made a mistake about not voting Nogrod.

EDIT: x-ed with several
I 'm having a creepy feeling that maybe I shouldn't have voiced my doubts just before... Oh dear.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #487
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Um I voted and my post isn't showing..not a scooby as to what happened.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #488
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots NIGHT Four

~~~Our Tale~~~

The guests spent the DAY in debate.

Except for when they paused to enjoy two theatrical performances.

Suddenly, at the conclusion of the second play, Brinniel stood to her feet and cried, "I FEEL STRANGELY EMPOWERED!". The other guests scratched their heads and ignored this...mostly.

It was about that time that the guests noticed the absence of one of their members.

They hunted high and low and then found a note that said, "Ha ha ha! I found the way out. Bye!"

Someone had escaped!

This rendered the situation almost intolerable. That and the fact that they had an unspoken feeling that someone, somewhere was churning out a series of eye-roll inducing puns.

Seizing upon one of their number, they threw Lottie on the guillotine and pulled the lever.

CLUNK!

Living
Nerwen
Boromir88
Shastanis Althreduin
satansaloser2005
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Mithalwen
Eönwë
Nogrod
Brinniel

The Dead
Morsul the Dark
Inziladun
Thinlómien
Loslote

Escaped
Pervinca Took (Ordo)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #489
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots DAY Four

The NIGHT was dark and full of buzzing.

Yes, buzzing again.

bzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ *whoosh* CLANG *doink*

"Who put that there?"

Silence.

Silence without stillness. As the guests slept they felt the swirling of many powers around them.

All in all, it didn't lend itself to a restful NIGHT.

Dawn broke, as was its habit.

The guests assembled around the guillotine again. They set off in search of the route taken by the escapee.

On their way they found the body of Mithalwen who apparently tried to do the same in the NIGHT.

Well...

Living
Nerwen
Boromir88
Shastanis Althreduin
satansaloser2005
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Eönwë
Nogrod
Brinniel

The Dead
Morsul the Dark
Inziladun
Thinlómien
Loslote
Mithalwen

Escaped
Pervinca Took (Ordo)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #490
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
So the Dead tell us Zil is innocent. I say continue on and ask if they checked Lottie.

Divide it up into 3 groups again...Lottie is prey, predator or none of the above.

My weirdness early on was purely out of a desire to join in the dead thread, which I have never managed to make in 3 chances now. I said it was what my heart greatly desired. Alas, it seems I'm cursed to not ever partake in the Dead community...early on I would have really only been effecting my own luck in this dwarven game, but now I don't want to do anything that could be harming the GW.

Yesterday I was completely booked from 10am-9pm my time. But that's the only day I had a major scheduling conflict. So, you all take that or leave it, I've been shut out of the white shores again it seems. It's fine.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #491
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The theory that I was a sacrificial wolf defending EW Lottie is now debunked though...so yes, I'm going to be suspicious of those pushing that interpretation. I said I didn't do it for her, but I guess I should be used to not being taken at face value.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #492
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Okay, we really need to get a wolf toDay.

I'm also curious as to the kill-choice. I mean, it fits the pattern of unsuspected players being killed- but at ths point, what does it say that it was her and nobody else?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #493
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
The theory that I was a sacrificial wolf defending EW Lottie is now debunked though...so yes, I'm going to be suspicious of those pushing that interpretation. I said I didn't do it for her, but I guess I should be used to not being taken at face value.
And now that we know Lottie was not the EW, perhaps we should look at how that notion came to be so prominent?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #494
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I don't know if I'd call Lonmy unsuspected at the time of her death - I certainly suspected her, at the very least. Mith I do agree on, though, I can't think of anyone who really suspected her.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #495
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I don't know if I'd call Lonmy unsuspected at the time of her death - I certainly suspected her, at the very least. Mith I do agree on, though, I can't think of anyone who really suspected her.
Not widely suspected, I meant.

Well, now that you're here, my treasure, I'd like to hear your thoughts on everyone.

Especially Nog. I am thinking maybe I shouldn't have started second-guessing myself at the end there, because on reading through his game he has posted a *lot*, but nearly all of it has consisted of arguing the undesirability of trying to communicate with the Dead, with an interlude where he became equally preoccupied with the question of whether the rules technically allowed Wolf1 to have been created Night2. And by yesterDay he was becoming downright obstructive. Yet, as I said, there is also the fact that he just kept on going even after he was obviously attracting suspicion- shouldn't a baddie have been more cautious?

Last edited by Nerwen; 07-16-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #496
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Mith isn't a surprising choice to me as she seems like a no-trace kill. I don't recall her really being suspected by anyone and with her vote not getting posted due to technical difficulties, the Living might never know her suspicions yesterDay.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #497
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Mith isn't a surprising choice to me as she seems like a no-trace kill. I don't recall her really being suspected by anyone and with her vote not getting posted due to technical difficulties, the Living might never know her suspicions yesterDay.
Ah, but why do a no trace kill at this stage?
Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #498
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Ah, but why do a no trace kill at this stage?
Not sure, perhaps some players were starting to suspect them and they worried killing them off instead would be too obvious. Or if there's a hunter, that one of them would be targeted.

Or maybe they chose her because they didn't think she would be protected by the ranger.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #499
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Okay, I said I would take a closer look at Legate, and I decided to do so tonight while I have time.

I believe someone mentioned earlier he seems wishy-washy in his opinions and I see what they mean.

On Day One, he stated he liked the non-lynch idea, but was non-committal about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
2. Our chances of hitting either a baddie or a Gifted are really low toDay, which means this might be one of the few situations in which a no lynch Day One makes sense. Plus, since there aren't many wolves, they'll have to be a lot less careful about pack behavior, which means one of our standby clues won't come into play at first.
Numerically, it might make sense, if the village can agree on this. On the other hand, Morsul has a point in saying that the odds won't necessarily change very much. But I am all for at least considering that option.
By the end of the Day, he votes for Boromir and indicates that he's trying to tie the votes. Maybe he was, but with the last-minute timing, an evil Legate could've just said that while hoping for a lynch.

He also latched onto the Nerwen-Inzil spat without fully committing to it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Inziladun - okay, now upon re-reading, his reaction to Nerwen escalated in such a rapid way that it really makes my alarm bells ring. However, all his posting earlier was pretty normal, so I would prefer not to vote him solely on the basis of that one instance.
In general, all of his opinions on other players are a bit wishy-washy and non-committal...except for Boromir.

Legate voted for Boro all three Days, and even with those votes, his suspicions of Boro weren't exactly strong ones.

YesterDay, I mentioned the possibility of Legate being a newly turned wolf with his change of focus on the Dead Thread. And he did talk a lot about the Dead Thread, though I don't think he was as distracting about it as others. I honestly don't see any real shift in behavior, and so I'm starting to think if he is a baddie, there's a good chance he has been for awhile.

In conclusion, Legate has moved up on my suspicion list. He's joined by Eonwe and Nogrod, and to a lesser extent, Nerwen and Boro for reasons I listed yesterDay.

Alright, it's getting really late, so it's off to bed for me.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 AM   #500
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Especially Nog. I am thinking maybe I shouldn't have started second-guessing myself at the end there, because on reading through his game he has posted a *lot*, but nearly all of it has consisted of arguing the undesirability of trying to communicate with the Dead, with an interlude where he became equally preoccupied with the question of whether the rules technically allowed Wolf1 to have been created Night2. And by yesterDay he was becoming downright obstructive. Yet, as I said, there is also the fact that he just kept on going even after he was obviously attracting suspicion- shouldn't a baddie have been more cautious?
Unless he's not the only wolf and believes whenever he got turned his days are numbered, so why not obstruct? And there would be at least a days delay to the living if he's lynched and a wolf.

It probably doesn't help hearing from me, but if I'm ever turned, it's very similar to how I would be playing the part of a wolf if I knew the EW hadn't spent all choices yet.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #501
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Unless he's not the only wolf and believes whenever he got turned his days are numbered, so why not obstruct? And there would be at least a days delay to the living if he's lynched and a wolf.

It probably doesn't help hearing from me, but if I'm ever turned, it's very similar to how I would be playing the part of a wolf if I knew the EW hadn't spent all choices yet.
Good point. I'm rather wishing I hadn't made that post- especially as there was a sudden run of Lottie-votes while I was typing it, and I think lynching her may have been a mistake.

Now, what about Legate? If Nog's a wolf, could a Legwolf have seized on a chance not to have to follow through on his "suspicion"? Or is it just honest doubt, given that there is a history of innocent Nog developing that kind of laser-beam focus on a single topic?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #502
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
So we are now ten and perhaps four of us are bad. I really hope Lottie was a wolf.
I'm in a rush to go to work now but will hopefully be able to post a bit more later. Annoyingly, I have also lost all the notes I made about the voting and its implications...but I wanted to put out there what's been worrying me all Night.

It was Nog's weird behaviour near DL that got me thinking...he holds up voting debate going on about rules and stuff, then risks his own vote, holding off until deadline, only to vote for Eonwe who as far as he knew only had one vote and thus his vote wouldn't make any difference anyway. However, as it happened, had his vote been allowed, it would have resulted in a no-lynch, because Brinn was empowered, and we would have had a draw.
Now, then I realised, the wolves already would know what the Dead would tell us - that Zil was innocent. This would mean that the wolves also knew into which "group" the empowerment would go. (As Zil was innocent he was likely to co-operate and thus the 'none of the above' category was unlikely to be used)
So, empowerment would go to either Boro (v unlikely as he said he probably couldn't vote) Brinn, Eomer, Eonwe or me.
Given that Eomer and I had already contributed 2 out of the 3 votes to Lottie, if one of us got empowered Lottie would be unsavable. Eonwe voted for Nogs - if his vote had been empowered, we would have had another draw. As it happened, it was Brinn who got the empowerment which, had Nogs' late vote counted, would also have resulted in a draw.
So my question is, was this all a terrific gamble by a Nogs-wolf? What was it that he was waiting for, up until deadline, and why didn't he vote for Lottie or Boro to guarantee his own survival?
Basically, I get so far with this theory and then I end up in a tangle. So I thought I'd put it out there now to see if anyone else can make sense of it. (Or what is more likely, for the wolves to tangle it up further )
Old 07-17-2017, 01:26 AM   #503
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Okay, we really need to get a wolf toDay.
If this doesn't sound like a false or forced concern / alarm, I'm not sure what would. We have no idea about our situation whatsoever (well, we might be able to infer that Zil was innocent - or then the Dead shared my concern on Eönwe) and it is just D4 in a game of Dueling Wizards where more or less anything can happen.

Naturally, we should lynch a wolf toDay, but opening the Day with "Okay, we really need to" sounds like something a Wolf would say after thinking how an innocent would open a Day.

On other issues:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
on reading through his game he has posted a *lot*, but nearly all of it has consisted of arguing the undesirability of trying to communicate with the Dead, with an interlude where he became equally preoccupied with the question of whether the rules technically allowed Wolf1 to have been created Night2.
I agree I have used a lot of time discussing those issues - and have not been the only one to be quite occupied with the rule / strategy -talk *coughEönwecough*. But unlike some others who have discussed a lot about that kind of issues, I have also ended that discussion in time to go actually into the bussiness of considering the lynches, trying to find suspicious things and been there discussing the lynch so that we could make reasonable decisions (unlike some who post lengthy strategy-manuals just before the DL - why is that not suspicious to you Nerwen?).
Old 07-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #504
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
So my question is, was this all a terrific gamble by a Nogs-wolf? What was it that he was waiting for, up until deadline, and why didn't he vote for Lottie or Boro to guarantee his own survival?
Basically, I get so far with this theory and then I end up in a tangle. So I thought I'd put it out there now to see if anyone else can make sense of it. (Or what is more likely, for the wolves to tangle it up further )
I can give you a simple solution to your enigma: I'm innocent. It makes perfect sense then (add the premise that I also like it in the Dead Thread so there was no pressure).

You can see that my previous post is timed at .59 (I made the mistake of answering Lottie who asked me a straight question) - and realized the time at the moment. The 30-second rule prevented me from posting my vote any earlier than I was then able to do - but you can see that I managed to post another one on .00 - so my vote was more or less a few seconds after .00. Yeah, I didn't manage to vote as Kuru was really on top of the hour. But that was in no way planned, but just a mistake (answering to Lottie at the last minute).

That simple.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #505
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
It was Nog's weird behaviour near DL that got me thinking...he holds up voting debate going on about rules and stuff
This is incorrect as well: don't take all Nerwen says at face-value but look at the thread. I spent the last couple of hours not on rules talk but trying to find a wolf - I even got a bit frustrated with Eönwe because he was doing that still an hour before the DL and posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Eönwe: please stop talking about Wizards and Visitors. Talk of people to vote toDay - and why exactly them.
I had to comment on the rules half an hour before the DL because my reason to suspect several people actually hung on it - and I realized I had read the rules wrong and stood corrected - but other than that I spent the last couple of hours talking about who to lynch, not the rules as such (unlike some others...).

Okay. 'nuff of that.

On other issues: I just remembered I did make a tally of the votes yesterDay - so here...

D3 voting

.48 Eomer -> Lottie
.49 Sally -> Lottie 2
.49 Lalaith -> Lottie 3
.54 Brinniel -> Eönwe
.54 Legate -> Boro
.56 Lottie -> Boro 2
.56 Nerwen -> Nog
.58 Eönwe -> Nog 2
.59 Shasta -> Legate

+ voter empowerment: Eönwe 2

EDIT: Triple-posting - will be away now then.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #506
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ok Nogs, I can actually see a scenario too where you are innocent, but why the exciting drama of holding back on your vote til the last minute - only to vote for Eonwe - a vote which, as far as you knew, if you were innocent, would make no difference?
Why say this to Eonwe two hours before deadline:
Quote:
Eönwe: please stop talking about Wizards and Visitors. Talk of people to vote toDay - and why exactly them
and then do nowt but talk about rules and stuff instead of who to vote for, yourself?
And what was this supposed to mean?
Quote:
I might vote for Lottie to help my own chances of survival - and I do suspect her indeed - did it from the early on.

Now I'm just wondering whether it is the right thing to do - aka do I have a better choice that would also affect something...
A tie for Eonwe would have saved Lottie. An innocent Nogs could not have really guessed that Brinn would have been empowered. You could also have saved Lottie in a much more straightforward way - if that was indeed your aim - by voting for Boro, but you didn't. Which does in fact speak well of you, unless you also had reasons not to lynch Boro.

Anyway one thing is clear from all of this that Eonwe's idea from early yesterDay, of slicing us down into little portions for the Dead to choose from, really is not wise, as it gives the wolves too much of a pointer on who will get empowered and thus where to steer the lynching.
Eonwe's "small portions" plan would have left the Dead, incidentally, with a choice of Boro, Brinn or Eomer. As they chose Brinn anyway, this doesn't look hugely incriminating for Eonwe as being an attempt at wolf-steering the Dead empowerment, but still....

Last edited by Lalaith; 07-17-2017 at 02:32 AM. Reason: x-post with Nogrod and replacing "she" with "Lottie" for clarification
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #507
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
If this doesn't sound like a false or forced concern / alarm, I'm not sure what would. We have no idea about our situation whatsoever (well, we might be able to infer that Zil was innocent - or then the Dead shared my concern on Eönwe) and it is just D4 in a game of Dueling Wizards where more or less anything can happen.

Naturally, we should lynch a wolf toDay, but opening the Day with "Okay, we really need to" sounds like something a Wolf would say after thinking how an innocent would open a Day.
Sorry, but that's nonsense. We do not *know* how things stand, and if the worst case scenario is true we're in quite a fix. That is simply a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
I agree I have used a lot of time discussing those issues - and have not been the only one to be quite occupied with the rule / strategy -talk *coughEönwecough*. But unlike some others who have discussed a lot about that kind of issues, I have also ended that discussion in time to go actually into the bussiness of considering the lynches, trying to find suspicious things and been there discussing the lynch so that we could make reasonable decisions (unlike some who post lengthy strategy-manuals just before the DL - why is that not suspicious to you Nerwen?).
Who do you say did that? Steve?

Quote:
Quote:
I can give you a simple solution to your enigma: I'm innocent. It makes perfect sense then (add the premise that I also like it in the Dead Thread so there was no pressure).

You can see that my previous post is timed at .59 (I made the mistake of answering Lottie who asked me a straight question) - and realized the time at the moment. The 30-second rule prevented me from posting my vote any earlier than I was then able to do - but you can see that I managed to post another one on .00 - so my vote was more or less a few seconds after .00. Yeah, I didn't manage to vote as Kuru was really on top of the hour. But that was in no way planned, but just a mistake (answering to Lottie at the last minute).

That simple.
This is a fair point. And all the votes fell so close together yesterDay that I doubt anyone, guilty or innocent, was on top of things enough to make the kind of calculating move Lalaith seems to suggest.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:09 AM   #508
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Ok now I must really get on with my actual RL work for a bit.
But before I go...the list for the Dead. (sorry dead Mith, hope this doesn't rile you!)

There should be enough innocents in the dead thread to ensure a vote on Lottie so would it be better (given the empowerment issues I highlighted earlier) to make the 'none of the above' group smaller than the other two? I'm using Kuru's Living list here btw:

Lottie prey
Nerwen
Boromir88
Shastanis Althreduin
satansaloser2005

Lottie predator
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Eönwë

None of the above
Nogrod
Brinniel

We could even just divide us into two groups of five, prey and predator, and tell the dead not to empower anyone if there has been a 'none of the above' issue?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:58 AM   #509
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Btw.
Quote:
It was Nog's weird behaviour near DL that got me thinking...he holds up voting debate going on about rules and stuff
This is incorrect as well: don't take all Nerwen says at face-value but look at the thread. I spent the last couple of hours not on rules talk but trying to find a wolf - I even got a bit frustrated with Eönwe because he was doing that still an hour before the DL and posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Eönwe: please stop talking about Wizards and Visitors. Talk of people to vote toDay - and why exactly them.

I had to comment on the rules half an hour before the DL because my reason to suspect several people actually hung on it - and I realized I had read the rules wrong and stood corrected - but other than that I spent the last couple of hours talking about who to lynch, not the rules as such (unlike some others...)
Well, maybe you think that's what you did, Nog, but the thread shows otherwise. At #415 (5:11 pm) you briefly agreed with Eomer that Legate was suspiciously agreeable. At #418 (5:35 pm) you did make a suspicion list, albeit a rather non-committal one. At #423 (6:04 pm) you made a post arguing that the Day One no-lynch supporters should be seen as suspicious. At #426 (6:10 pm) you told off Eonwe for "talking about Wizards and Visitors". Then at #432 (6:21 pm) you returned to the subject of... the Dead Thread! You then made two further posts on the subject at #438 (6:38 pm) and #450 (6:48 pm). (If these are the posts you're talking about, I'm not sure on whom suspicion would be "hanging"- clarification?). Finally, at #457 (6:51 pm), with less than 10 miniutes before DL, you announced your intention of going after "those who try to capitalize it with their clear understanding of the rules..." whatever that means, after which you announced you might vote Lottie, Boro, Eonwe and Eomer, made another post in which said you were thinking of voting Lottie, then voted Eonwe.

So no, I am not misrepresenting you. I will also point out that it was your single-minded focus on the Dead Thread during the last couple of hours that made me re-consider my suspicion of you, precisely because it seemed a bit foolhardy for a wolf.

Quote:
Ok now I must really get on with my actual RL work for a bit.
But before I go...the list for the Dead. (sorry dead Mith, hope this doesn't rile you!)

There should be enough innocents in the dead thread to ensure a vote on Lottie so would it be better (given the empowerment issues I highlighted earlier) to make the 'none of the above' group smaller than the other two? I'm using Kuru's Living list here btw:

Lottie prey
Nerwen
Boromir88
Shastanis Althreduin
satansaloser2005

Lottie predator
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Eönwë

None of the above
Nogrod
Brinniel

We could even just divide us into two groups of five, prey and predator, and tell the dead not to empower anyone if there has been a 'none of the above' issue?
Maybe, but isn't there a risk of one of them voting by accident (or "accident")?

Edit: added comment.

Last edited by Nerwen; 07-17-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #510
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Forewarning, I may not be around as much toDay as normally, because for large part, the time when I will have most time to play WW would be when I'm at work, throughout the, like, next seven hours or so. I hope to be back also a few hours before DL, but not for very long. In any case my posts may be shorter (ha, ha).

Anyway, as for now.

I agree with that Mith was widely unsuspected and it would make sense if she was meant to be a no-trace kill. One option is that the Wolves are really getting suspected and killing other people would bring them into the spotlight.

More interestingly, now that we can assume Zil's innocence, we can try to look back at events related to him at least with some knowledge. The bandwagon for him, for example, makes it clear that it was a "safe space" for Wolves to contribute to, i.e. being sure they would not vote for a fellow Wolf (but at the same time, casting a vote outside it was "safe space" in the sense that such a vote would not be linked to lynching an innocent. It was only less safe because it wasn't so dead clear yet at that time who was going to get the votes). Zil's spat with Nerwen is another thing, because now we know his retaliation was genuine; Nerwen's suspicion of him itself I am not sure of. I am growing wary of her again, I mean she has so far been moving around basically unsuspected for most of the time. Then again, it's her.

Otherwise: I am all for using the list Lalaith now provided. We should shuffle things up anyway so that it's not still the same list. I am also for the Dead checking Lottie next. The communication seems to work (hopefully), so let's keep it that way.

Speaking of communicating with Dead, I am still wary of Nogrod. His replies at the end of yesterDay looked genuine, but upon re-thinking, in the big picture, his one-track distraction and dismissing the communication with the Dead stands. In any case, I hope to read more of him when it comes to discussing people etc.

Boro's "confession" in the beginning of toDay pinged my radar as "I used to be a person willing to die, but recently I have been converted into a Wolf, so I don't want to die anymore".

Anyway. I agree with Nerwen that the Days are passing on, and we should make sure we lynch a Wolf, as it is theoretically possible we have four baddies here (especially now that effectively, we can assume except for Lottie that all the dead were innocents).

EDIT: x-ed with Nerwen
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:46 AM   #511
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, it looks like I have very very limited time for the game sadly toDay, so just going to put down as many of my thoughts now.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 AM   #512
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Anyone else think the narration is pretty strange today?

Mithalwen was apparently taking the same route as the escapee; many powers swirling around them.

If there were 3 wolves among us then then there could be no wolf kill. EW would have to scry. GW might have sent Mith to the dead thread for her to come back tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:49 AM   #513
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Gah! That's the second time I say the wrong thing. I mean, of course, that there could be no 4th wolf created.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 AM   #514
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Anyway. I agree with Nerwen that the Days are passing on, and we should make sure we lynch a Wolf
Oh, really? Interesting idea. We must consider that as an option but let's not rush into it.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 AM   #515
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Maybe it's selfish of me, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with Lalaith's list:
Quote:
Lottie prey
Nerwen
Boromir88
Shastanis Althreduin
satansaloser2005

Lottie predator
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Eönwë

None of the above
Nogrod
Brinniel
Whether or not it's intentional, it leaves the two people who are out for my blood in the same category ('None of the above'). In general, I feel like having a category with only two members is not great, and is exactly the kind of thing Lalaith warns out here:
Quote:
slicing us down into little portions for the Dead to choose from, really is not wise, as it gives the wolves too much of a pointer on who will get empowered and thus where to steer the lynching.
However, if she's a wolf this would require her to know what went on in the Dead Thread last Night, which would require the EW to have sacrificed at least one wolf and us to have lynched one (note: if the either Morsul or Lommy were such sacrifices, it means that it could be either Zil or Lottie could've been wolves, as Zil and one Morsul or Lottie could've overpowered the other).

Of course, this may just be coincidence, but in any case, I'd prefer either a 3/3/3 (with one 4) or 5/5 split (with the hope that there was no wolf-sacrifice) better.

Also, has anyone considered that Mith's death might not be a wolf-kill but rather a Ranger save and the GW assigning a Stranger that Leaves? And even if it's not, this is a possibility we should be aware of as the Days continue.

edit: x-ed since my last post. Nice to see that someone else (Eomer) also had the same idea!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #516
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Eonwe, I agree it's not a good idea to have two people alone in a category who both have the same likely voting pattern. Quite happy to mix the list (eg by swapping you and Nog?).

I think the 'none of the above' category is very unlikely which is why I suggested it being small, and giving the Dead more choice for the two more likely categories.

What I'm trying to avoid is the likelihood of giving the Dead the Hobson's Choice of empowering one of three baddies....and of giving the wolves too easy a guess about who will be empowered....
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #517
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
However, if she's a wolf this would require her to know what went on in the Dead Thread last Night
Sorry, I don't get this, and who is the 'she' you are referring to?
My point was that the wolves already know Zil is innocent because they would know he wasn't a wolf...and they would also know that the Dead, yesterDay were all innocents (Morsul, Lommy, Zil) and would thus all try to be helpful.
They would therefore also know that the empowerment vote would be one of Boro, Brinn, Eomer, Eonwe or me.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #518
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Eonwe, you said it much clearer than I was able to - I'm getting completely muddled up with nightly activities!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #519
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Sorry, I don't get this, and who is the 'she' you are referring to?
My point was that the wolves already know Zil is innocent because they would know he wasn't a wolf...and they would also know that the Dead, yesterDay were all innocents (Morsul, Lommy, Zil) and would thus all try to be helpful.
They would therefore also know that the empowerment vote would be one of Boro, Brinn, Eomer, Eonwe or me.
I meant if you were evil and were trying to subtly manipulate the list toDay. Though as I said, an evil-you doing this would require there to have been at least one wolf-sacrifice (so that there were 2+ to draw/overpower the vote last Night - the other option is 3 toDay overpowering the vote, but that would require 2 there last Night anyway), which I'm still not sure I believe is a likely possibility.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #520
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

One thing I've found quite interesting is the Nerwen/Legate reaction to Nog. They seem to be acting quite similarly towards him - suspecting him, then easing up on him (and in Legate's case not voting him), then regretting easing up on him and suspecting him again.

On the one hand, if Nog turns out be innocent, this could potentially suggest a wolf-team trying to get him killed (though maybe it is a bit obvious).

On the other hand, if he's evil, this could either speak for them as innocents of wavering suspicion, or mean that they're wolves who are anticipating a torrent of votes for him toDay and want to ride the wave to victory.