The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #41
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy
frequent visits to Nogrod
(Okay, sorry, that bolding was mine - just couldn't resist. )

Now to business - the fact is, Eöl is a horrible pig, and though he did produce a cool son it's the son who is cool and not him. He's one of the most disgusting people Tolkien ever invented. Now The King of the Dead, as Tolkien describes him, is fascinating and beautiful. I like him. (No, I don't like that little green Barbossa-impersonator, he's baaad.)

So:

++ King of the Dead
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #42
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Nonsense! Why is it so bad? Come on, it was foreseen there and all sorts of these things, what would you like to have, four and half Dúnedain arriving from the North just to make the army of Rohirrim four and half men stronger
Imagine Gimli and Legolas charging onto the Mordor armies on Pelennor along with the Rohirrim. Impossible!
That's just to the point! They were losing and they were losing badly. So the Deus ex machina comes to save them all!

And on the contrary I always found this grey company the most intriguing thing... something I would have loved to read more about - just like lord Imrahil and all these South-Gondorians. One could have made a heroic standing with those as well but it would still have meant defeat I'm afraid... and you can't end the story without the good guys winning now can you?

So let's come up with a whole army unforeseen to anyone who will make the difference in the battle at tyhe last minute? Now what was the definition of the Deus ex machina again?

I'm yet not convinced...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #43
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Several hours left to vote. So far

Eol 4
KotD 3
Old 01-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #44
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Now to business - the fact is, Eöl is a horrible pig
Oh, I couldn't have phrased that better, sis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
That's just to the point! They were losing and they were losing badly. So the Deus ex machina comes to save them all!

And on the contrary I always found this grey company the most intriguing thing... something I would have loved to read more about - just like lord Imrahil and all these South-Gondorians. One could have made a heroic standing with those as well but it would still have meant defeat I'm afraid... and you can't end the story without the good guys winning now can you?

So let's come up with a whole army unforeseen to anyone who will make the difference in the battle at tyhe last minute? Now what was the definition of the Deus ex machina again?
Now actually you bring up something interesting, which would, however, almost be for a separate thread. You made me think what if the Dead did not come out and Aragorn would have stormed Pelargir just with several Lamedonians... the main problem would be still that the Corsairs would, as soon as possible, have left to the North anyway... but I thought it would have been far more cool if they started to wreak havoc around the Southern Gondor, and after the battle at Pelennor (which would have been likely a bit more disasterous, although still possible of being victorious), there will be no march to the Black Gate, but everybody would have needed to pack their stuff and go to liberate Pelargir and all the southern provinces... intriguing, I say.

And speaking of South Gondorians, this captain of theirs had a cool name - Angbor. Now that's a guy I would have liked to hear more about...

But here we are going off-topic

But come on, people - a few hours still left, doesn't anyone vote for the King of the Dead? He is nice! He has a spear! And is scaring young Rohanian princes to death! Come on!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #45
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

Now to business - the fact is, Eöl is a horrible pig, and though he did produce a cool son it's the son who is cool and not him.
I couldn't agree more!

The King of the Dead produced the best, and most memorable, part of The Return of the King! He was even feared by a Dwarf, now that's saying something. Anyone who can make a Gimli quake in his boots has got my vote.

++The King of the Dead
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #46
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

With less then an hour to go the contst
is on a knife's edge. 4-4 now, but
Eol will win this tie.
Tick. Tick. Tick.

And about the counetrfactual fiction/history
above, for JRRT's concept I think Aragorn
has to come in from the south. Without the
written narrative it might be something like
Aragorn's (book) company fighting their
way through (with Strider actually dispatching
the KotD) and then rallying the South
Gondorians, who would of course have to
have enough of a navy to take over the
Corsairs fleet. In some ways a more satisfactory
plot then the somewhat deux ex machina
(and it might have dissuaded PJ from
the invasion of the green slime at Minsas Tirith).

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 01-30-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #47
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eol 4
KotD 4
Eol wins a tiebreaker! (Won't his dad be proud?)

Next:
Scatha the Worm vs. Shelob in what could be
another long night for dragon power.

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 01-30-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #48
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Perhaps, like Ancalagon the Black, it is because of the dearth of information on Scatha that makes the dragon intriguing, or dragons are just interesting in and of themselves. In any case, this is yet another Tolkien character that got only a passing mention, but for whom I'd love to hear a more fleshed-out tale. Shelob? Meh, just an arachnid bully eating orcses and little hobbits if she can get them. She's nothing like her great-grandma Ungoliant, who made even Morgoth tremble.

++Scatha the Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Eol wins a tiebreaker! (Won't his dad be proud?)
Eol had a dad? Hmmm...I believe, like Thingol, he was among the Firstborn.

Last edited by Morthoron; 01-31-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #49
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
And about the counetrfactual fiction/history
above, for JRRT's concept I think Aragorn
has to come in from the south. Without the
written narrative it might be something like
Aragorn's (book) company fighting their
way through (with Strider actually dispatching
the KotD) and then rallying the South
Gondorians, who would of course have to
have enough of a navy to take over the
Corsairs fleet. In some ways a more satisfactory
plot then the somewhat deux ex machina
(and it might have dissuaded PJ from
the invasion of the green slime at Minsas Tirith).
Counterfactual history, now you got it, sir

Okay, just briefly - not to be off-topic too much - this won't work anyway, otherwise, it will be far better for the South Gondorians to just send more troops to Minas Tirith in the first place (seeing that they have enough men themselves to cope with the Corsairs), in which case, the battle will be obviously victorious for Minas Tirith in the first place. But we needed this typical "our heroes look like they will be obviously doomed" and then this sudden turn of the tide. And this was only possible if the Corsairs were stronger. And this again needed some reinforcements to come. And the Dead were still quite a smooth way to do that, I can't think of anything better now (like I said, Elves from Lórien won't do...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Perhaps, like Ancalagon the Black, it is because of the dearth of information on Scatha that makes the dragon intriguing, or dragons are just interesting in and of themselves. In any case, this is yet another Tolkien character that got only a passing mention, but for whom I'd love to hear a more fleshed-out tale.
Yes, unlike Ancalagon the Black, perhaps because the lack of information, Scatha is intriguing. I like him. He was nice. I liked him very "early" - short after I read LotR for the first time. He was a cold-drake, but that does not prevent him from being cool, quite the opposite And he was killed by a man from Éotheod, now isn't that great?

++Scatha

Quote:
Eol had a dad? Hmmm...I believe, like Thingol, he was among the Firstborn.
I think Tuor had his son in mind.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #50
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Shelob

Scatha has a cool name and he reminds me of old legends like Beowulf, but I've got to be feminist and vote Shelob.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #51
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love dragons but there's just not enough info on Scatha for me to vote for him. I mean, the only adjective you could use describing him is "dead".

++Shelob
Old 01-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #52
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

+ + Shelob

P. S. Also, a change, like the dragons there are
a surfeit of trolls, so if there are no
objections I've replaced Bert with the
mayor of Laketown (Tolkien's literary
cautionary tale of democracy? )

P.P.S. Saruman wasn't included.
Should he be given a second chance even though
he disappointed in Skip's tournament?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #53
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
P. S. Also, a change, like the dragons there are
a surfeit of trolls, so if there are no
objections I've replaced Bert with the
mayor of Laketown (Tolkien's literary
cautionary tale of democracy? )
Yes! Now that sounds good. Although, isn't it unfair for Bert to be outed when Tom and Bill are around? At least I like him more than Tom. I say, you shouldn't make too many changes in the lists anyway... let it be as it is... but of course, for this one minor change...

Quote:
P.P.S. Saruman wasn't included.
Should he be given a second chance even though
he disappointed in Skip's tournament?
Well, you know, I wouldn't do so. I think it will be quite unfair to the others. He will be too much different from most of those who are here, and he's been in one tournament already, and also... he is not bad, he is good
Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #54
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Scatha has a cool name and he reminds me of old legends like Beowulf, but I've got to be feminist and vote Shelob.
Hey, but what if Scatha was a she? Now wouldn't that be even cooler than some silly spider?

Speaking of silly spiders: why were not Lazy Lob and Crazy Cob inculded? They were cuute!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #55
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Hey, but what if Scatha was a she? Now wouldn't that be even cooler than some silly spider?
His name sounds masculine, except that it resembles Scathatch (aiee not spelt that way, I know ).

But I always kind of liked Shelob anyway.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #56
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
His name sounds masculine, except that it resembles Scathatch (aiee not spelt that way, I know ).
What? Sasquatch?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #57
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
What? Sasquatch?
Nope, Scáthatch.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #58
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Nope, Scáthatch.
I have to confess, a Hobbit? Neverr heard aabout ahobbit befoore... (too bad. Too bad.)

Nevertheless, I always liked what happened to Scatha's teeth - also pretty cool story.

And speaking of Scáthatch, I started to wonder about the etymology of Scatha's name - is it possible that it had something to do with "Shadow", after all, too? Or did Tolkien say anything more? Was it supposed to reflect the language of the Éotheod, who were, after all, the ones who encountered him? Okay, I see I would be starting another thread again...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #59
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I vote

++Scatha
I would vote for Ungoliant, but not Shelob. And dragons are amazing!

Last edited by Eönwë; 02-01-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: CAps
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #60
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++Scatha, because he would eat Shelob for a snack.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #61
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

They're both big and bad.

We know more about Shelob, so I'll vote for her.

But no, Scatha could probably burn her up. I'll vote for him.

But wait, that whole Shelob bit in LotR is so memorable. I'll vote for her.

But gah- dragons are cool, and spiders are creepy and gross. I'll vote for him.

*flips coin*

++Scatha
Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #62
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Going with the flow for a change... and agreeing with Eonwë and Andsigil... and the phantom as well with the indecisiveness.

So I've made up my mind.

++ Scatha

It was an outrageous thing to call Ancalagon off so let's see the dragons prevail even once!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #63
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

In stunning news to the arachnid world
Scatha the Worm ousted heavy
favorite Shelob 6-3, raising the
real possibility of three dragons in the
Sweet Sixteen, although both Smaug
and the Father of Dragons (makes you
wonder who the mother was ) will
face some stiff competition.

Next match:
the White Cats (of Queen Beruthiel) vs. Tom
(can a hoard of cats take out a troll obviously
born within the sound of Bow Bells ?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #64
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
The cats of Queen Beruthiel must be among the most intriguing barely-mentioned stories included in the LotR. I would have loved to know more about them. Besides, cats are wonderful creatures. I adore them. So:

++ the White Cats

And I have to comment on the off-topic discussion going on here: the Army of the Dead was essential for getting rid of the Corsairs, but what were the Corsairs for? Tolkien could have left them out if he had wanted to, with no serious damage to his plot.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #65
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
And I have to comment on the off-topic discussion going on here: the Army of the Dead was essential for getting rid of the Corsairs, but what were the Corsairs for? Tolkien could have left them out if he had wanted to, with no serious damage to his plot.
Well, they were there in order to make Sauron's armies being stronger than Gondor, and disallowing Minas Tirith getting all reinforcements it could - so that somebody may come and save it all with sudden change of winds, just like Aragorn did with the Dead So, you see, it's a sort of infinite circle.

Anyway - to the task at hand - while Tom is, of all the three trolls, the most stupid (in my opinion, and now thinking not about the intellect, but about the general behavior) and the one I really don't like much, still, he is a Troll, and I like him more than the cats. I am not a huge fan of the tale of the cats, I never found it particularly interesting. Not at all, in fact. I am also voting him a bit as a deputy of his fellow Bert, who, unfortunately, did not make it among the candidates. So,

++Tom the Troll

(I hope everybody understands that Tuor meant this one, and not the other fella with the same name and yellow boots Hey, isn't it interesting how some names reoccur, a pity we don't have two Berts as well...)
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #66
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
++Tom the Troll

Although I think William and Bert should have been included as a trio, sort of the Three Stooges of Middle-earth. Soitanly, nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #67
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Although I think William and Bert should have been included as a trio, sort of the Three Stooges of Middle-earth. Soitanly, nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!
Soitenly!
Tom (definitely not Tom Bombadil):
"Bert, William, the cheese!"
"Bert, William, the cheese!"
Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #68
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cats??? Please...

++Tom the Troll, all the way. I can't wait to see the trio of trolls in "The Hobbit" film.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #69
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I can't wait to see the trio of trolls in "The Hobbit" film.
Now you actually made me worry a lot. If they are going to look like that tortoise from FotR, or more likely, like Shrek, or in either case, they will be some sort of horrible CG thing... eww. Another good reason not to expect the Hobbit movie.

If they at least found a tall and fat actor and put some mask on him... but not CG, it looks so horrible and overdone...
Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #70
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
++Tom
A cat?
A cat?
A cat?
Shh... it's only a model.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #71
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
If they at least found a tall and fat actor and put some mask on him... but not CG, it looks so horrible and overdone...
Agreed. An actor with a nice paint job would be much better than anything they will accomplish with CG. That said, don't be overly pessimistic. It might just become a decent enough movie, who can tell?

++Tom
Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #72
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

I've just realised... no Ungwë Lianti... I mean... Ungoliant?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #73
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Going with the flow for a change... and agreeing with Eonwë and Andsigil... and the phantom as well with the indecisiveness.

So I've made up my mind.

++ Scatha

It was an outrageous thing to call Ancalagon off so let's see the dragons prevail even once!
Oh my! That was my 5000th post! And I missed any celebrations!

But to the topic.

I like cats as well as Greenie but c'mon there's no question on this one

++ Tom

But I would like to wonder about the sanity (or evilness) of the mod setting such marvellous characters up against each other on the previous rounds and now presenting us with this choice. To be earnest, both candidates on this round would have lost to anyone on the previous ones...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #74
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Agreed. An actor with a nice paint job would be much better than anything they will accomplish with CG. That said, don't be overly pessimistic. It might just become a decent enough movie, who can tell?
You are right, one can always hope for the good result coming out of that. Though still, in any case, it will be just a movie. Ah well.

Quote:
But I would like to wonder about the sanity (or evilness) of the mod setting such marvellous characters up against each other on the previous rounds and now presenting us with this choice. To be earnest, both candidates on this round would have lost to anyone on the previous ones...
I thought exactly the other way around. Now there are coming candidates I really start to like, I didn't really care that much about those before.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #75
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I hate cats! Besides, the trolls offer good comic relief.

++Tom
Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #76
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

+ + White Cats

Because if they lose it might be necessary to
think of 101 things to do with them.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #77
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Catsies

Because I feel more like voting for a cat than a troll now.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #78
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Cats of Queen Beruthiel -3
Tom - 7

One of the cats was heard to hiss as she left:
Quote:
"Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back."
Btw, about the seeding pitting strong candidates against each
other in the first round, I sympathize- and probably objectively
agree- but the reasoning was twofold a) to give longshots a
punchers chance of advancing several rounds, and b) to mitigate
favorites getting virtual byes and make the start of the contest
in the first round overall more competitive. I think the actual effect
is probably minimal, making rounds 1,3,4 the more competitive as
contrasted to 2,3, 4 in more usual seeding.

OOPS! Next up is one of those tough first round matches:
Smaug vs. Drauglin

About Smaug:
Quote:
"To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There is no words left to express his staggerment, since Men changed the language that they learned of elves in the days when all the world was wonderful."

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. [...] His rage passes description - the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted. His fire belched forth, the hall smoked, he shook the mountain-roots. [...] He issued from the Gate, the waters rose in fierce whistling steam, and up he soared blazing into the air and settled on the mountain-top in a spout of green and scarlet flame."
About Drauglin:
Quote:
A dread beast, old in evil lord and sire of the werewolves of Angband.

A mightier shadow slowly filled
the narrow bridge, a slavering hate,
an awful werewolf fierce and great:
pale Draugluin, the old grey lord
of wolves and beasts of blood abhorred,
that fed on flesh of Man and Elf
beneath the chair of Thû himself.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #79
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Draugluin stands no chance.

++Smaug

This one was a no-brainer. Smaug! Smaug! Hail Smaug, the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #80
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well for a dragon Smaug is an okay chap... But my general opinion on dragons is no secret.

++Draugluin

I'm not even that fond of wolves, but werewolves are certainly better than some dragons.