The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
husborne
Pile O'Bones

husborne has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Do you have a LOTR-related desktop?

Do you have a LOTR-related desktop?

What LOTR-related wallpaper do you have on our computer screen??

What do you have on your screen?

Last edited by husborne; 08-31-2005 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Do you have a LOTR-related desktop?
husborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Hi husborne, welcome to the downs.

May I suggest that this thread be changed into something along the lines of "Do you have a LOTR-related desktop?" I think it would be better recieved.

I know for the longest time I had the coolest Anime-adapted LOTR movie poster as my desktop.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This definitely needs to be LotR/Tolkien-related in order to be a valid topic!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey Estelyn...have you ever had a LOTR-inspired desktop?
always eating chicken?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:33 AM   #5
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
LOTR-related; but, of course!

Mine is a 'bird in a tree' eye's view of some hobbit holes from the movie. Very tranquil and nice.

Last edited by Holbytlass; 08-30-2005 at 05:45 AM. Reason: trying to find link for wallpaper
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:26 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
Hey Estelyn...have you ever had a LOTR-inspired desktop?
Nope - no desktops at all, just the standard blue background.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

The background on my computer at home is John Howe's painting of Bilbo's Front Hall, one of my favourite pieces of Middle-earth art.

I used to have it on the office lap-top too, until they banned individualised backgrounds ( ), although it once caused some slight embarassment when I used the lap-top for a business presentation.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I don't have a LotR background but I do have an Aragorn screensaver.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
I have a desktop with Aragorn as he is fighting the Ringwraiths. And my screensaver shows pictures with Aragorn, too! Oh well, maybe I've said too much...
Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I did have one of the Fellowship in Rivendell but it seems to have been replaced by an awful picture of me and my family. I may have to go hunting for the delete button.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
The background on my computer at home is John Howe's painting of Bilbo's Front Hall, one of my favourite pieces of Middle-earth art.

I used to have it on the office lap-top too, until they banned individualised backgrounds ( ), although it once caused some slight embarassment when I used the lap-top for a business presentation.
Well, you could have turned into a feature of the presentation, saying how Bilbo's Hall represents the tunnel through which all great business strategies must travel in order to reach the light (meaning the 'implementation' stage) of the door at the end, the tunnel symbolising 'team-work' and 'project planning' and the like...

I've got a Tolkien illustration of Rivendell on my work PC, plus a 'Wizards' screen saver, which I'm not supposed to have as they disabled the ability to install to the hard drive, but I just put it on my network drive instead. At home I have a montage of davem pulling faces.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #12
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I have a screenshot of the dwarven fortress from the upcoming Lord of the Rings Online PC game.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

This is what I have on my computer:

Tom

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-31-2005 at 12:26 PM.
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Pio, that's lovely! I think Anke Eissmann's Tom Bombadil is the best rendition of him I've seen anywhere! (And I'm proud to say that I was able to tell her how much I enjoy her artwork when I met her at 'Tolkien 2005'. She's quite young to be so talented!)
Old 08-31-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
husborne
Pile O'Bones

husborne has just left Hobbiton.
Ainaserkewen

Ainaserkewen,I have changed it.

Thanks for the tip.
husborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #16
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That is also my very favorite picture of Tom.

Here's what I have on my laptop. It's a Ted Nasmith - Tuor looking down on the hidden city of Gondolin.

~*~ Pio
Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 PM   #17
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wow Pio...wow.
always eating chicken?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:57 AM   #18
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This is the illustration of Rivendell that I have. Alas, if I enlarge it, it distorts on the screen so I have multiple images of it in a 'tiled' pattern. While I wait for things to load on the PC, I amuse myself by making my little blue dinosaur shaped cursor 'walk' over the bridge on the picture.

When I was looking for an online version of the picture, it struck me how similar all the images of Rivendell are! It's well worth looking them up.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #19
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I have now made my background the picture of Gondolin. Its amazing. Thanks pio.

Lal, I have the same curser, its very amusing.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #20
Elrowen Tinúviel

Elrowen Tinúviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Tinúviel
Shield

I have quite a few LOTR desktops - finding and making them has become a sort of hobby of mine. (Boring, I know...) For a long time I had the Ted Nansmith painting of Luthien dancing, and the Alan Lee one of Rivendell.
But I change them all the time...

I made some LOTR ones one time... they're all from the movies, but you can see them here . I also found a couple sites (that I forget the addresses to ) that have a terrific selection of Tolkien art... John Howe, Alan Lee, and Ted Nansmith are only a few of them...

~Elrowen
Elrowen Tinúviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #21
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I don't have an LotR desktop. Reason being the fact that the only computer in the house that has internet is the family computer and I can't choose the backgrounds. As soon as I get internet on my computer, I'll probably put an LotR related desktop picture for it.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #22
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

I used to have this sweet guy.

But I've since changed it to The Hall's of Manwe..
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #23
Koneko
Pile O'Bones

Location: In my world, which is a studio flat with a jacuzzi and a burmese cat.
Koneko has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Koneko
I _did_ have a picture of Sauron's eye as wallpaper, but since the monitor went very strange and broke down a month later, I can assure you that I am not doing that again.
Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #24
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I used to have Gandalf the Grey by John Howe and replaced him on and off with Lothlorien by Ted Nasmith. I tend to change desktops a lot, but these two keep on coming back

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:42 AM   #25
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have a great desktop picture of Idril and Maeglin by "Kasiopea" (Catherine Karina Chmiel). Her works are really amazing. I recommend to visit her site at http://www.tolkien.com.pl/kasiopea/ang/tolkien.htm.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #26
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I have a great desktop picture of Idril and Maeglin by "Kasiopea" (Catherine Karina Chmiel). Her works are really amazing. I recommend to visit her site at http://www.tolkien.com.pl/kasiopea/ang/tolkien.htm.
That's a very nice choice. I wouldn't know which one to pick as a favourite from those! Her illustrations are very different to most of the Tolkien art I've seen as they seem very bold and the characters seem quite wild, which is how I imagine a lot of them to be. But I particularly like those of Boromir and Faramir as children, and the picture of Luthien and Huan (she looks like Kate Bush in this picture). davem bought a copy of the Polish Tolkien Society's journal in Birmingham (it's titled Aiglos) and it had a number of these illustrations.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #27
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
But I particularly like those of Boromir and Faramir as children
Yes, they're really lovely. I took the Idril and Maeglin -picturepartly because it was of fitting size...
Old 09-27-2005, 07:05 AM   #28
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
This is one of my personal favourites, even if I've used others too...

Fingolfin challenging Morgoth

Something I've been looking for a time now is a nice cap. from ROTK, the scene where the eagles appears in the clouds before sweeping down and rescuing Sam and Frodo from the exploding Orodruin. That looked awesome on the big screen first time I saw the movie

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #29
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

This is what is on my desktop at work. And while it is an 'Old Forest', it never seemed terribly Middle-earth related, until one day I noticed two small hobbits peeking out of the lower middle portion of the screen.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 09-27-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #30
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
And now I am struggling with which to choose after following Pio's link.

Last edited by Eönwë; 04-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Again, having Chmiel's artwork - this time Maedhros, Maglor, Elros and Elrond, looks like this: