The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #81
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
One person i've had trouble with was H-I, spelling his name and guessing his gender... i also got mixed up about Mormegil and The Perky Ent...i'm pretty sure there both males...oh yeah and Nilp...still confused about Nilp...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #82
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I always forget whether to capitalize the second G in your name or not, Gil. Gil-galad or Gil-Galad?

And yes, that matters to me.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #83
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I've been wondering why I add in the "h" to Fordhim...? I think it's just because there's this good college that's close by called Fordham. Maybe, that's the reason?

Anyway, I've had a bunch of spelli Laitaineng problems lately. In the Werewolf thread I kept writing "Lataine" instead of Laitaine. And I called Dancing Spawn, Dancing Awn, don't ask me why. Not difficult names by any means, must of just had a mind lapse.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #84
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I think it's just because there's this good college that's close by called Fordham.
I know Fordham as a brewing company.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #85
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pipe

I think we oughta start calling him Forthim.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #86
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
I think we oughta start calling him Forthim.
Just don't call me late for supper.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #87
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

*knights Fordim as Sir Forthim the Pollmaster*

You know, you get some interesting things when you try to type Saucepan Man too fast...

Suceman Pan

You know, it's not too far from Superman... Hmm...

You also get interesting results when you try to type 'interesting' while talking on the phone. Example: 'interestesting', meaning: interesting ^nth.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #88
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The most embarrassing mistake ever...

I just yesterday realized that it was davem, not davern...
It's the font, you know...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM   #89
Gil-Galad

poor Late For Supper, alot of people always get his name mixed up, i sometimes call him Fordhim cause i see other people spelling it like that...
Old 10-30-2005, 02:56 PM   #90
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

ha ha this is hilarious. i just realized that whenever i see fordhim, i read forthim. so i was kind of mystified by this whole deal. then i realized people were meaning ford-him - the very way i always say his name.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:52 PM   #91
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Just don't call me late for supper.
Well, now you're asking for it.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 AM   #92
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I must say I have serious problems with Shasta's "last name".

I used to read it as Atheldruin.
But I think it's really Althreduin.
But it might be Althereduin.
Or it might be something else.

edit: yep, it's Althreduin...
Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #93
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post

edit: yep, it's Althreduin...
really? i always thought it was Arthanis...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #94
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Lommy, I read "Davem" as "Davern" too for a long time (I think until I saw it typed on LJ!) so you're not alone...

I had a terrible time trying to spell Isabellkya - or Izabellkya? Isabelika? Izzabellkya? Isabellica? and "Izzy" sounds too much like "Xyzzy" - if I'm pronouncing the latter correctly.

*sigh*

I think errors like "Fordhim" tend to become memes - other people who would never have misspelled it on their own become confused after seeing certain well-respected downers do so enough times. Herd instinct, if you will.

Actually, I think the same phenomenon is to blame for making Macalaure female, sometime last fall, in the minds of a few downers (including yours truly).
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #95
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I started to write a post on this thread on how I have constant trouble with Zxcvbn's name and never remember it right and fail to see any logic in it and then, doing an experiment of trying to actually type the name here, realised that z, x, c, v, b and n follow each other neatly in the keyboard. So at me. At least I will know how to spell his name from now on (but I still can't claim to remember it without looking at the keyboard).
Old 02-05-2008, 06:07 AM   #96
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Me again

I can't believe my own stupidity. I always thought William Cloud Hicklin's name was William Cloud Hickli, without the 'n' and then I was slightly annoyed be people adding the 'n' - I was wondering if they can't read at all. Then, today, I looked at the active topics list and couldn't believe my eyes when it said William Cloud Hicklin. Really. So my apologies for you people who I thought were stupid while I was being that myself...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #97
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Wait - there is any N in there? From what time?

*looks it up*

*returns*

Indeed. But he must have changed it, that's impossible! I'm 100% sure it wasn't there before!!!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #98
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Indeed. But he must have changed it, that's impossible! I'm 100% sure it wasn't there before!!!
That's exactly how I felt. Maybe it has indeed been changed, because the length of his name looks distinctively unfamiliar.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #99
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
That's exactly how I felt. Maybe it has indeed been changed, because the length of his name looks distinctively unfamiliar.
Yes, I really think he changed it. Because I am 100% sure it used to be Hickli. Well, he can help us solve this by telling us personally. William?

And if not, then I guess we can both go and dig ourselves somewhere deep...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #100
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Silmaril

I found it! It has been changed. Evidence. Because that automatic quote thing can't have put the wrong name in there.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #101
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I can't believe my own stupidity. I always thought William Cloud Hicklin's name was William Cloud Hickli,
exactly how I feel.

Oh, and Ibrîniðilpathânezel is the hardest name of all. I can never remember it and can never bother to do accents anyway.

I was forced to do the accents.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #102
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I only just clicked on this thread, out of curiosity...and I was surprised to see my own name come up on the first page. I'd assumed it was fairly simple. :P There is a spelling error in the actual name, I'm aware--I got it from the Hobbit Name Generator waaaay back in the day. I knew that when I registered here, but for the first time in my life, I liked the misspelling better than the actual spelling, at least in reference to myself--Azaelia looks like me. Azaelea does not. Can't explain it any better than that. *shrug* Just didn't want you all to think I wasn't aware that my own name was spelled wrong.

Ibrin's name takes the cake, though: Ibrîniðilpathânezel. Sooo many accents, so little time! Heh. Took me forever to work out a pronounciation, which I finally achieved by ignoring the accents alltogether. I feel like I should hand her (?) an award for "Best Use Of Accents" or some such.

EDIT: Also, a-HAH! I thought I was going crazy. It's nice to know that William did, for whatever reason, add an 'n' to his name. I'd been squinting at his name for days, wondering what wasn't right about it.