The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #201
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Does the extention go for everyone? Farael and myself have not had much time to pm and I will be away for most of the weekend. We have come up with some ideas, but have not decided how to post yet.
Yes, that is for everyone.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:22 AM   #202
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Could I ask that, in the future, we not push deadlines back TOO far?

Spawn and I worked, I felt, somewhat hurriedly to get through the challenge. If we'd have known we'd had a full weekend ahead of us, we might have done a whole lot more, spent some more time on things...

Anyway, what's done is done here. We've done well enough, it's not a huge issue. But I would like to request that, in the future, deadlines be somewhat firm. It's really not fair to those who HAVE shoved themselves in under the deadline.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #203
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I agree with Formendacil on that account. If anything, you should make them have it done by the end of the set date. If an extension is asked, give it for the day after by the end of the day and that's it. If they don't get it done, then they don't get it done. It really isn't fair for those who did get it done on time.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #204
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Agreed. This is still a learning process (for me anyway) and if there are any sequels, I expect them to be much better. This is the first game (of an RPG nature) I've ever managed.

I'm going to set a time line for each challenge now, depending on how hard I think they'll be. Before a challenge, I'd like people to also say if they'll be busy or away for any lengthy periods of time.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #205
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Definetly a good idea Hookbill. I for one have to say that I have school five days a week plus after school activities on three of those days. That's why my posts are short, sweet and to the point.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #206
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe For Your Information

Since Menel isn't here and since I will be unavailable due to a medical emergency in the family (I'll be around but won't be able to post much) I have entrusted the keys of Orth-Tank in the hands of Ka.

Please note, the only reason I do this is due to the fact that neither the driver no co-driver are available for Orth-Tank. Also, there is a fair chance I will be travelling early May but Menel should be back by then so no worries.

PS: I didn't mean any offence to Beatles fans. I happen to love them, they're one of my favorite bands.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #207
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Just to say here that i'm having some wee-family troubles so i might not be able to get on as desired, sorry dear Morsul, but you might have to take over my job time and time again.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:40 AM   #208
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up ...

If any players want to add to their adventure before the official closing of the challenge, they can. Perhaps to increase amusement or further character development.

Lets look at things so far...

Mount Zoom = Not Done

Bag Endless-fuel = Done - Fixed by magic (Heading to High Pass)

Orth-Tank = Done - They got by with a little help from their friends. (On Bonus)

Barad-Dash = Done - Slaves used as wheel (South West)

Medul-zoom = Not Done

Minas Mor-go = Not done

Minas Taxi = Done - Porcupines defeated by... cows?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-23-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:42 AM   #209
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
I'm going to set a time line for each challenge now, depending on how hard I think they'll be. Before a challenge, I'd like people to also say if they'll be busy or away for any lengthy periods of time.
I rather agree with Formy, particularly since I should really have been working instead of formulating my final post for B-E-F.

So I am in favour of a strictly enforced time limit. However, given that everyone had RL committments, given that some of us have time zone issues in communicating with our team-mates, and also given the increasingly high standard of the posts, might I suggest that we all be given a fair few days at least (four or five?) per challenge. This should allow all teams sufficient time to get through the challenge.

It will delay proceedings, I know, but I'm enjoying it immensely and so have no problem with it being drawn out slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
This is still a learning process (for me anyway) and if there are any sequels, I expect them to be much better.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, Hookbill. It's goin' great so far!

PS - I think that Minas Taxi is done.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #210
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I think the next challenge is going to be rather difficult, so expect a rather lengthy time limit. It may help if all the players inform me of what Time zone they are in so I can work with it.
My original idea was that each challenge (including voting time) would take slightly less than a week. We shall see.

The fourth challenge will probably last a week for posting and probably about 3 days for voting.

Ah, yes, Minas Taxi is done and I did note it down before. No idea why I didn't record it. Thanks for pointing it out, Master Saucepan.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:57 AM   #211
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

I'm in GMT +3 (+2 at the moment since we don't follow DST). Also, since it messes up what Mendel and I had planned would it be possible for us to get out off this bonus in a creative way? (ie; we'd post a post on how we get away from it and then you decide whether or not it gets the job done)

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2006, 06:04 AM   #212
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
I'm in GMT +3 (+2 at the moment since we don't follow DST). Also, since it messes up what Mendel and I had planned would it be possible for us to get out off this bonus in a creative way? (ie; we'd post a post on how we get away from it and then you decide whether or not it gets the job done)

Thanks!
Noted.

No you can't get out of it!
The Bonuses are both good and bad, you can't chose to ignore the bad ones! Deal with it, you may be the first to come to one, but you won't be the last!
Sorry.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #213
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I'm waiting for Maeggladiel to come back and type up our solution to the challenge. However, if it's not done tonight, I'll type it up later.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #214
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
I'm normally in GMT-5, but due to DST it's GMT-4 (or so it says on the bottom of my screen...)
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #215
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Drawn out periods are fine... as long as the deadlines are fairly firm.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm in GMT-6. Or -7. I'm not sure which... DST has really wacked things out in my mind. It'll take me all summer to reset my mind, I'm sure.

Anyway, somewhere in that neighbourhood.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #216
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Medul-Zoom is final finished!!! Sorry for the wait!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #217
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Sorry about not posting. I was gone last weekend, was back this week but didn't get around to posting much, then found I had to leave this Saturday as well. So it's mostly my fault. I'm really sorry about this.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #218
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Ok, challenge complete as well as direction posted.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #219
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Minas Mor-go is now airborne! And headed for the High Pass.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #220
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Okay, folks, voting is open!

I'll close the polls on Wednesday morning GMT.

Lets remind ourselves of what happened...

MOUNT ZOOM = Stone Troll made into wheel

Bag-Endless-fule = Fixed by magic

Orth-Tank = The Beatles lend a hand.

Barad-Dash = Slaves used as wheel

Medel-zoom = Golden wheels!

Minas Mor-go = They are flying!

Minas Taxi = Porcupines defeated by... cows?

Good luck everyone. By the way... if you win this challenge, you will avoid any bonuses that may be ahead... Just thought I'd let you know...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-24-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #221
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

++ Minas Taxi...because all military operations need to have cryptic and distinctive code names.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #222
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Bong!

End of Voting, peoples! And that was close!

Player voted = 2 points
Non player votes = 1 point

MOUNT ZOOM = 2 votes

Bag-Endless-fuel = 6 votes

Orth-Tank = 6 points

Barad-Dash = 2 points

Medel-zoom = 0 point

Minas Mor-go = 4 points

Minas Taxi = 9 points

So Minas Taxi wins the porcupine challenge! The forth will be up soon!

For Challenge Number 4 you have until Friday 5th May. That’s a little over a week. If everyone is done before then, I'll open voting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map.jpg (92.1 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-26-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #223
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Location guide:

Mount Zoom = Drúwaith Laur

Bag Endless-fuel = Drúwaith Laur

Orth-Tank = Entwash

Barad-Dash = Bank of Galladen River

Medul-zoom = Foot of Misty Mountains

Minas Mor-go = Foot of Misty Mountains

Minas Taxi = Foot of Mount Gundabad
Old 04-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #224
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I'm really sorry but Menel, you're on your own for now. Due to unexpected real life problems I've been left incapable of providing any aid. Maybe I'll be able to come back before the deadline and make a post but for now its best you carry on without me.

-Sleepy Ranger
Old 04-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #225
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I'll PM Valier about this but I seem to have come down with something, probably a cold. I should be alright soon but I won't be doing much writing for a couple of days. Just wanted to let you know.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #226
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

White-Hand Hi!

Good Lord, it seems that a lot of people are having trouble this week.
Well, you still have until Friday to finish the challenge. Although I'd prefer it to be before, so we can move on with the race as quickly as possible.
By the way, Mount Zoom and Bag Endless-fuel, you don’t necessarily have to have lost your vehicles. But I’m intrigued now as to how Sauron will react to finding his precious mountain in a spider web.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #227
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Good Lord, it seems that a lot of people are having trouble this week.
Well, you still have until Friday to finish the challenge. Although I'd prefer it to be before, so we can move on with the race as quickly as possible.
By the way, Mount Zoom and Bag Endless-fuel, you don’t necessarily have to have lost your vehicles. But I’m intrigued now as to how Sauron will react to finding his precious mountain in a spider web.
Well, I can't speak for the other drivers or assistants, but in the case Minas Tazi, the drivers have been made somewhat apathetic by the long deadline... putting it back only means that we procrastinators have that much longer to leave things.

Don't worry, we'll get to it in time...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #228
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Oh. I guess I missread that. Ah well, it'll be fun having Sauron handle this problem in his own... ahem... special way.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #229
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question Erm . . .

Quote:
The outside voting power will go as such:

Players = 5 points

Observers
(5 or more posts on this topic) = 4 points

(3 posts on this topic) = 2 points

(first or second post) = 1 point.

That’s my initial idea. Any thoughts?
Ich hab eine Frage. How many points for a co-mod > sub-mod > ex-mod/mod for sequel? I haven't voted yet but it seems I can do so this time. Do I give 1 point for posting but twice in this thread, or gives some secret mod bonus?

Just so I know. ^.^
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #230
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
Ich hab eine Frage. How many points for a co-mod > sub-mod > ex-mod/mod for sequel? I haven't voted yet but it seems I can do so this time. Do I give 1 point for posting but twice in this thread, or gives some secret mod bonus?

Just so I know. ^.^
I've scrapped the idea now. There are so few non-players voting that it’s not worth trying to work out. So, non-players (including mods, I've voted each time so far) are worth 1 point and players are worth 2.

Well, Orth Tank finished the challenge in style. A lawyer? I didn't see that coming! You're the first.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #231
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Just a reminder...

The deadline is close, folks. I'd like everyone to be done by the end of tomorrow. On Saturday morning I'd like to open voting.
And here was me thinking a longer time frame would get you all to do more detailed posts.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 AM   #232
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Other things popped up that got me busy so I won't be able to post at all today. I'm also falling behind in some of my classes which is the reason why I couldn't post over the past few days. Sorry everyone!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #233
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Last day for the latest challenge, folks!

If you've finished, make sure to specify the direction you'll be taking.

Note:

Farael, for many reasons, is unable to continue with the game. I'm in the process of choosing a successor to play Théoden. If anyone would like to, post here and I'll put your names in a hat along with some I already have in mind and then chose the one to be Théoden.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:46 AM   #234
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Caran and I have both been rather busy this week, for various (and different) reasons.

Caran is working on the second instalment for Bag-Endless-Fuel, but I am not sure that we will be finished by the end of today.

Having said that we should stick with the deadlines that have been set, I am in no position to request an extension, and would not presume to do so. We'll try our best to finish on time. If we don't, well we'll just have to take the consequences.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #235
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
Don't worry, we'll be done

I'll be posting the conclusion soon.
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #236
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caran
Don't worry, we'll be done
Glad to hear it, and I hope that your exams went well.

I shall be interested to find out what the File of Galadriel actually does ...
Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #237
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, now that it's official... I just wanted to post up a big apology for not being able to follow through with the game. Real life issues have kept my writing time constricted, I'm also involved on a RPG and I just seem unable to come up with good witty ideas for the game. Once again, sorry and some special apologies to Valier. She's been an awesome (and understanding) teammate =)

Good luck!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #238
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Humm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
If we don't, well we'll just have to take the consequences.
The consequence of not finishing by the deadline will probably be that Dwarfy will come and help. You'll still move forward, but not as far as everyone else. For example:

Normal = moves 4 steps
Winner = Moves 8 steps
Failure* = moves 2 steps

That’s what I have in mind. I didn't think anyone would have trouble. It has been a week. Well, hopefully when we get to the summer holiday period, more people will be able to post more often.

Anyway, here's how ti stands, so far in the Lazy Lob challenge...

Mount Zoom = Done - Spider swatted with giant Newspaper (need direction)

Bag Endless-fuel = Not Done

Orth-Tank = Lawyer kills spider (WEST)

Barad-Dash = Not Done.

Medul-zoom = Not Done

Minas Mor-go = Done - Swords cut web while #4 fired on catapult

Minas Taxi = Done - Dancing Spawn let them go due to lack of taste.

Hop along, my hearties!

*I couldn't think of a better word. Sorry if it implies the wrong thing.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #239
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have now finished Medul- zoom's post, but the direction just needs to be added. I wanted to look at the map and see what way we are going first, so I will post it in a few minutes.

EDIT: Direction added

Last edited by Valier; 05-05-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #240
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
If you've finished, make sure to specify the direction you'll be taking.
Will do. We still have to break Mt. Zoom out of the spider web, so we're not quite done yet.