The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #1881
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
BTW, everyone, I've been trying to come up with a name for the Downer's little mascot; that scull with the thumbs up guy. Any ideas on what he/she/it should be called?
How about Bob?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #1882
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
How come this "future-Downer" look like a 'Downer from the late seventies or early eighties?
I liked it a lot!!

And I must say, I also like the new P&A more and more. The drawings are really good too. And hard to admit it, but Peter Hampton is just cool. Though I like John Fillis too. And SpM. And of course Beef, sorry, Alien, he's just awesome even in this one. And everybody, basically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
The lunch in that cafeteria looks great!
Quite so! I am interested in John's in particular. It looks... well, it LOOKS.

Quote:
BTW, everyone, I've been trying to come up with a name for the Downer's little mascot; that scull with the thumbs up guy. Any ideas on what he/she/it should be called?
(Boldening mine) You brought me to an idea. What about Hammond Scull? Or Hammond the Skull? Or something of that sort.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #1883
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
(Boldening mine) You brought me to an idea. What about Hammond Scull? Or Hammond the Skull? Or something of that sort.
Hey, that's not a bad idea.

Glad you like the new P&A. I'm surprised Formy himself hasn't commented. (and the phantom, of course )
Old 07-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #1884
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Yes, in fact I withdraw my suggestion and throw a second behind Hammond Skull, or any variant.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #1885
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
What about Pastor Skull (see here)?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #1886
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
How come this "future-Downer" look like a 'Downer from the late seventies or early eighties?
Because the people at The Downer think that the Seventies and Eighties are futuristic.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #1887
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Hey, that's not a bad idea.

Glad you like the new P&A. I'm surprised Formy himself hasn't commented. (and the phantom, of course )
Heh. I'm waiting to see how/if I die before I give it my mouldy seal of approval.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #1888
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Heh. I'm waiting to see how/if I die before I give it my mouldy seal of approval.
Let's just say that the future holds some strange and HORRIBLE things. And giant Strawberries.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #1889
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
And giant Strawberries.
What? Do they get eaten? And do I get to have some?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #1890
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

Quote:
I thought I'd throw in "Larry."

"Hammond Skull" sounds pretty good too, though.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #1891
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thumbs up

Hammond Scull
Pore Yorick
Poor Richard
The Reader's Digestions
Strande
Sherlock Bones
Skulduggery
Grave the Grave
Headly LeBonne
Bone Appetite
Bone Voyage

Are all amusing. To me at least.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #1892
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's time to see what kind of stuff Formy and Alien are getting up to. This week, see a special guest. It's LAL!

Previous episodes can be found in the:

COMICAL ARCHIVE
THING OF DOOM!!

Do you all feel okay with the quick flips between Peter and Alien? Or do you prefer, say, four of one and then four of the other? I've tried that sort of thing later on, but for now it's alternating one at a time... We shall see...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #1893
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Why do the two last frames look strangely familiar?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #1894
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
It's time to see what kind of stuff Formy and Alien are getting up to. This week, see a special guest. It's LAL!
Obviously! Pretty cool, I like these appearances of characters we all know from a long time before...

Quote:
Do you all feel okay with the quick flips between Peter and Alien? Or do you prefer, say, four of one and then four of the other? I've tried that sort of thing later on, but for now it's alternating one at a time... We shall see...
It's okay with me, it works with the classic way of switching heroes before they start to be boring: this way, it makes the story more vivid. Although I think it won't be a problem even if it was a few volumes after each other, especially if the story starts to be more "action-packed" later on.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #1895
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, at least Alien got a job.

Quote:
Either is good... I think that the quick switching builds up suspense, like at the end of the last P&A.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #1896
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Why do the two last frames look strangely familiar?
It's a sort of running gag. Alien doesn't know what constitutes food and so always ends up making some random filth. Bird droppings, medical waste, laxatives... the list goes on... and on... down from the door where... never mind...
Old 07-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #1897
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
It's a sort of running gag. Alien doesn't know what constitutes food and so always ends up making some random filth. Bird droppings, medical waste, laxatives... the list goes on... and on... down from the door where... never mind...
I noticed! It's still funny, I don't think it could be overused as long as it's spaced just right...
Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #1898
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay peoples, today sees the dramatically untriumphant return of The Downer! I've revamped it a bit, but kept the format roughly the same. Hope you like the new look for Hammond the Skull. Yes, that's the name I've chosen.

Thanks a bundle to TheGreatElvenWarrior for her story. Special prizes will go to people who send me stories in the future.

Now, back to Philip and John. Today we learn a bit more about the Bus Company. Philip also drinks some milk. That's good... isn't it.

On Thursday we'll see exactly how Alien got the job in that bar. Maybe.

As always,

Incidental, I have no idea if the real phantom gets blind, stinking drunk as often as the cartoon character will do after he meets Alien. But then, can you blame him? The only reason Formy hasn't drunk all the wine in his church was because Alien put soap in it all...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #1899
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I liked this weeks newspaper, especially the second story. I see you added some of your own writing.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #1900
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Incidentally, I have no idea if the real phantom gets blind, stinking drunk as often as the cartoon character will do after he meets Alien. But then, can you blame him? The only reason Formy hasn't drunk all the wine in his church was because Alien put soap in it all...
He should have drunk it anyway.. even the soapiest of wine won't take well to the destruction of the parish plant. Now he'll never have the chance!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #1901
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
I liked this weeks newspaper, especially the second story. I see you added some of your own writing.
I sometimes have to edit small parts in order to make them fit in the space. Or if a sentence doesn't make sense after editing, it requires some other changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
He should have drunk it anyway.. even the soapiest of wine won't take well to the destruction of the parish plant. Now he'll never have the chance!
You never know, Alien might actually get that new church... Maybe...
Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #1902
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I sometimes have to edit small parts in order to make them fit in the space. Or if a sentence doesn't make sense after editing, it requires some other changes.
I know. I just thought that the one that you edited was just a bit unlike me... That's all...
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #1903
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Good day to you all!

We return to the adventures of Alien and Formy. Perhaps we will discover just what kind of person employed Alien...

Well, there's your answer.

Keep up with the story in

On Monday we'll see the return of an old foe with funny legs. Can you guess who it is? Probably.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #1904
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I just started looking at the Phantom and Alien comics, they are great. Dude(Hookbill) keep up the good work. Also the The Downer is a great newspaper. Nice article TGEW.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #1905
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
...so why does Hammond have a fleshy hand to make a thumbs up with?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #1906
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
...so why does Hammond have a fleshy hand to make a thumbs up with?
It's not his hand.

--------------------------------------

Now it's time for some serious and informative news.
Thanks to Oddwen for the second story!

That was fun.

Now it's time to rejoin Peter Hampton as he goes on an adventure... to the toilet...

Don't forget about ...
The Phantom and Alien's
BACK CATALOGUE!!

Otherwise you'll die.

Come back on Thursday to see if Alien's hit songs can cheer Formy up.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #1907
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

That was GREAT! In the toilet!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #1908
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
That was GREAT! In the toilet!
Yep. Now you know the reason for Mosrul's drive to weird and inexplicable vendettas.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #1909
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Yep. Now you know the reason for Mosrul's drive to weird and inexplicable vendettas.
Phantom didn't eat Morsul's sandwich once! (Well, maybe he did, I don't know) BUt that's not the reason why he doesn't like Phantom! Phantom is so mean!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #1910
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #867

Morsul the Dark has feet!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #1911
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai View Post
Morsul the Dark has feet!
Indeed he does. As established HERE in volume two.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #1912
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Earlier today I read through every Phantom and Alien comic published. It was worth it.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #1913
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Earlier today I read through every Phantom and Alien comic published. It was worth it.
I do this just about every two weeks. When I'm bored or need to get cheered up, or just need to have my daily dose of disgusting things.

Oh, I LOVE Morsie's legs! Always have.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #1914
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
Thank you! It's always encouraging to have people enjoy these insane, hastily cobbled together comic strips. Hope you look forward to the epic adventures ahead!

Incidentally, the tentative title of Volume Four is 'The Quest for the Epic Adventure'.

Quote:
Oh, I LOVE Morsie's legs! Always have.
Taken out of context, this could be quite incriminating. I mean, if Morsul some how lost his legs in some bizarre lawn mower incident and said legs were stolen, we'd know where to start looking.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #1915
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Taken out of context, this could be quite incriminating. I mean, if Morsul some how lost his legs in some bizarre lawn mower incident and said legs were stolen, we'd know where to start looking.
Wait. You'd know where to start looking? Thar's a bit creepy.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #1916
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's Thursday, so it's time for another instalment of Phalian!!

Woot! Alien's CD of all his hit songs is available from all bad record shops.

THE PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE OF DOOM

The adventure continues on Monday!
Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #1917
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I was wondering why Formy had a nice red mark on the back of his head, then it dawned on me that Alien's instrument whacked him on the back of the head!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #1918
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior
I was wondering why Formy had a nice red mark on the back of his head, then it dawned on me that Alien's instrument whacked him on the back of the head!
Haha! Yes! I'm glad you spotted that!
We had a bit of a discussion about what instrument Alien is 'playing'. We call it a Mandanjo.

I'm posting up the Paper a bit early this week as I have to go to work tomorrow and need to be up early. Ho Hum...

Peter Hampton takes John Fillis on a tour of the Hall of Bosses. Now you can see all the people who used to own Beef Buses and the current owner, Miss Collins.

Fun times on the internet! That's what P&A is!

On Thursday Alien meets someone of like-mind. Who could it be?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #1919
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Haha! Yes! I'm glad you spotted that!
We had a bit of a discussion about what instrument Alien is 'playing'. We call it a Mandanjo.
I'm glad I spotted that too! A Mandanjo? Interesting name. Sounds like some sort of fruit.

Surprisingly, I can understand, for the most part, the second story. That probably has something to do with the fact that I have a friend who writes in internet slang, no matter what she's writing.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #1920
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

So now we know the truth (or at least a truth) about Miss Collins.

Quote:
A Mandanjo? Interesting name. Sounds like some sort of fruit.
Or an "Andanjo" for men (I have no idea what an Andanjo is though).

I wonder what the notorious "Hammond the Skull" will be up to next week...

Last edited by Eönwë; 07-26-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote