The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #1801
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Serious News...

As part of my little series of alternate papers, here is, in contrast to last week’s tabloid, the broadsheet paper, The Wight Times. It’s a serious paper for serious people.

Let’s get into the weird and wonderful world of The Phantom and Alien. Today, Peter Hampton takes his bus out for a spin. But where has he stopped?

The new series is drawn by my brother Joshua and he’s always eager to know what you think of his style. I quite like the look of it and am glad he’s decided to do it because I certainly couldn’t have drawn anything in today’s episode.

So, yes, for more of this sort of thing, and to catch up on season two, you can still look into;

Warning: may not actually cause or affect any doom of any kind.
Or, if it does cause some sort of doom, it will probably involve an explosion and a large balloon. With pudding.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 06-07-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #1802
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Oh my. I've been gone a couple of weeks and I miss a dreadful lot. To think that this thing is what keeps me to the Downs... Now I must begin reading! Great job, Hookbill.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #1803
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hookie you can tell your brother that he's doing great. I love the characters' facial expressions and how lively the pictures are.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #1804
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Hookbill, your brother has a great hand at using paint (must be a bizarre family trait--one of which I am indeed jealous of)... I can't get over the frog in the fifth frame. It's cute even if it was just cut into three sections by a bus!

That Wright Times is far too serious for me. I much prefer the Downer. I strongly disagree with this nonsense that they nabbed anyone's sanity. Snorkel. What would the Downer what with it anyway? Mud slinging, I say.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #1805
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I have no idea what you are talking about, so here's a picture of an Oddwen with a box on its head.

I also approve of your brother's artwork. Mayhaps you should recruit him to the Downs...

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #1806
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I love the scared passenger inside the bus...and the random piano....and phantom's determined expression when he's driving....it's all wonderful, your brother is awesome!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #1807
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I also approve of your brother's artwork. Mayhaps you should recruit him to the Downs...
The Downs' new slogan "The Barrow-Downs, a family website."

I have problems with this: "the hideous editor"
I would like you to know Hookbill, that you are anything but hideous!

I do like the new artwork for P and A, but I also miss the old one...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #1808
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I have problems with this: "the hideous editor"
I would like you to know Hookbill, that you are anything but hideous!
But Pseudo-Human is perfectly fine?

Joshua is very pleased with your feedback. We've now done about 60 of the episodes in this series, so we're up to the point at which he's saying "Wow, I've gotten better since then"

We're not sure if I'll take over for volume 4. It may be a mix-up, because there will be a good number that are back to the old format, but there will still be lots of ACTION sequences and... um... I don't know... giant... death... robot... clones?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #1809
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
But Pseudo-Human is perfectly fine?
No, how about "very cute".

My brother wants to know if a) Peter Hampton is Alien's brother and b) I want to know if Alien has siblings...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #1810
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
My brother wants to know if a) Peter Hampton is Alien's brother and b) I want to know if Alien has siblings...
There's a reason 'Hampton' is an anagram of 'Phantom'.
Look through volume 1 for the answer to your second question... Or is it...?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #1811
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
There's a reason 'Hampton' is an anagram of 'Phantom'.
Look through volume 1 for the answer to your second question... Or is it...?
Awesome!
Will do!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #1812
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Doesn't the prologue sort of give away who he is?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #1813
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I do like the new artwork for P and A, but I also miss the old one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
I love the scared passenger inside the bus...and the random piano....and phantom's determined expression when he's driving....it's all wonderful, your brother is awesome!
I must say I agree with both. I can agree with TGEW that I do like the new artwork, but at the same time miss the old one. But the new one is really good too!
I like the hand of the old woman in the last frame, and I like Hampton's expressions. And he's really cool, let's face it

Also, I like the piano... speaking of it... well, I am somewhat unnerved by it. Did you guys realise the pianos appeared in both the strips with Hampton and Formy? Is it the same piano? And what role does it have? Ever heard about a monster piano?

Likewise, the things in the background... like the burning birds in the first one, or the random nuclear explosion in the last one...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #1814
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Likewise, the things in the background... like the burning birds in the first one, or the random nuclear explosion in the last one...
What makes you think the explosion is random?

Thanks for your support, folks! I hope the twists and turns this story takes will be most enjoyable for you. I've just done a big plot twist episode and there are more to come.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #1815
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
What makes you think the explosion is random?
Well, I have been thinking about that, of course But simply, this far, it is random. Just like the birds... and the piano... and the frog? Who knows what we can expect?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #1816
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, I have been thinking about that, of course But simply, this far, it is random. Just like the birds... and the piano... and the frog? Who knows what we can expect?
Silly Legate . Nothing is random in P&A.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #1817
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's time to answer some questions. But, as is going to become ever more common, the answers will just raise further questions.

It's all in good fun. Well, the 'Clowns Head Incident' probably wasn't... But oh well...

Keep up with the story in the old ARCHIVE OF SPECIAL DOOM!!

Today's episode is the first of a little two-part thing with Formy and Alien. Monday will see the aftermath of this 'random explosion'. Oh, and make sure you check in on next Thursday's episode. It's called "John Fillis - Part 1". For all you fans of the big monster thing.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 06-11-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #1818
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Aww, poor Alien! When I see him on the second but last picture, I pity him. He is cute!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #1819
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
AWWWWWW! Poor li'l misunderstood baby slime creature!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #1820
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
AWWWWWW! Poor li'l misunderstood baby slime creature!
That's exactly why he always gets away with it.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #1821
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Alien = <3
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #1822
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's time for a truly horrible newspaper!

Now the adventure continues in the supposedly exciting third volume prequel of The Phantom and Alien!
Today, Formy's church has been blown up by Alien. What will he do about it?

Wasn't that great?

Catch up on previous episodes in THE COMIC ARCHIVE.

Come back on Thursday for John Fillis - Part 1!!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #1823
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love that Rune only has one fang.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #1824
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

What? I am not delusional!
I must complain to this week's paper, it makes me look like some sort of idiot! I like the Downer better!

Besides, I didn't realise it was Hookbill until too late!

I like the fact that Formy's sleeves are ripped off after the explosion but he doesn't seem to be hurt...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #1825
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538
I love that Rune only has one fang.
Might it be drool?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #1826
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Nice self-promotion by the Downy Mail.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #1827
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
I like the fact that Formy's sleeves are ripped off after the explosion but he doesn't seem to be hurt...
Well, presumably he was hurt, but he's tough enough to live through it. After all, one doesn't live with lego everywhere for so long without learning to deal with pain (specifically, stepping on lego blocks in bare feet. Owch!)

A little bit on an inside story on P&A3. The process of making each episode is somewhat laborious. More than the previous ones. First of all, I have empty templates I printed off onto which I do sketches of what I want to happen in each episode. You can see one of these in early development here.
Then I hand said sketch on to my brother for digitalising. He draws it up to my specifications and I give it a once-over to check it's as I want it. He then e-mails me the picture and I put the text in using Image composer.

We spent a lot of time wondering about the text, actually. I almost gave them speech bubbles. We decided against it because it took up to much space and I felt it distracted from a lot of the background funny stuff.

What do you think?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #1828
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Well, presumably he was hurt, but he's tough enough to live through it. After all, one doesn't live with lego everywhere for so long without learning to deal with pain (specifically, stepping on lego blocks in bare feet. Owch!)
I get what you mean, stepping on legos hurts like Angband! We used to have them all over the floor of our house, but I haven't taken my legos out for a while, so we haven't had that problem...

Quote:
A little bit on an inside story on P&A3. The process of making each episode is somewhat laborious. More than the previous ones. First of all, I have empty templates I printed off onto which I do sketches of what I want to happen in each episode. You can see one of these in early development here.
Then I hand said sketch on to my brother for digitalising. He draws it up to my specifications and I give it a once-over to check it's as I want it. He then e-mails me the picture and I put the text in using Image composer.
Wow! I am even more greatful for Phantom and Alien now (If that is even possible)! Why so much work to please people who only know you on a Tolkien discussion forum, Hookbill? It is very nice of you!
Quote:
We spent a lot of time wondering about the text, actually. I almost gave them speech bubbles. We decided against it because it took up to much space and I felt it distracted from a lot of the background funny stuff.
I think you're right about the speech bubbles. They are a bit distracting. Even though the text is a little bit difficult to read at times...
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #1829
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Wow! I am even more greatful for Phantom and Alien now (If that is even possible)! Why so much work to please people who only know you on a Tolkien discussion forum, Hookbill? It is very nice of you!
But I think Hookbill's planning to go global and take over the world!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #1830
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Might it be drool?
I suppose it could, drool in the shape of a fang...
Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #1831
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay everyone, prepare to question everything you thought you knew about John Fillis!

I hope you're shocked.

Keep up with Volume three here: THE ARCHIVE!

Come back on Monday to see how this little exchange ends!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #1832
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I am shocked indeed.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #1833
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

I am shocked also.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #1834
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

You got to be KIDDING ME!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #1835
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

MWAHAHAHAHA!

It's interesting to note that John Fillis has become one of Joshua's favourite characters in this. I quite like writing him too, especially as the story goes on. He's cool, it's just a shame Peter is so mean to him.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #1836
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Okay, now I'm scared!
Wow. That was interesting, I never thought that John Fillis was that normal looking once! I really like John Fillis!

Oh, Hookbill, could you try to wait to take over the world until later?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #1837
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior
Oh, Hookbill, could you try to wait to take over the world until later?
We're all so engrossed in volume three, he's probably taken over the world already and we haven't noticed. :P

Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #1838
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
We're all so engrossed in volume three, he's probably taken over the world already and we haven't noticed. :P
Oh, probably!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #1839
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #1840
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Continuing our little series of other news sources, we turn to the distant past. Yes, it's time for another journey to the Barrow Downs of yesteryear in; Ye Downer. Jolly Good, I say!

But for our comic strip heroes, the adventure is just beginning. Peter Hampton takes John Fillis to his new job. But can our beloved driver actually, you know, drive?

Come back on Thursday to find out more about Alien in Episode 008: Alien!

Keep up with The Phantom and Alien in;

THE COMIC ARCHIVE
OF DOOOOOOM!!

There will be cakes and refreshments provided afterwards. Maybe. But for now, you can all ponder over the mysteries to come. When will Peter and Alien meet? (If you've read volume one, you could probably make a guess). What will Fr Formy do about his blown up church? Is that really John Fillis? Is that Piano a red herring? (No, it's a piano). Who exactly was Alien's mother? What is cheese?
Find out soon... Maybe...