The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #81
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Party Tree

Yes, I know that it only fits the description of Bilbo's Party Tree in that it is a tree, still every time I drive by this tree in the fall, I cannot but help to think of Bilbo's last Shire party.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree.jpg (93.8 KB, 1152 views)
Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #82
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
More pictures

I see 'Fog on the Barrow Downs' and 'the Brown Hills.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fog.jpg (42.6 KB, 1140 views)
File Type: jpg brownhills1.jpg (63.1 KB, 1126 views)
File Type: jpg brownhills2.jpg (73.5 KB, 1034 views)
File Type: jpg brownhills3.jpg (70.6 KB, 1049 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #83
Bandobras Tunnelly
Newly Deceased

Bandobras Tunnelly has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe " Oh to see mountains again"

Several years ago I was living in northern Alabama, and was driving between there and my native Indiana quite a bit. There are places along the way (most notability in northern TN) that take your breath away. Vast stretches of green forest as far as the eye can see. Save for the silver gray line of the highway it reminds me of Bilbo's climb above Mirkwood.
Bandobras Tunnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #84
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nice hills, alatar, we don't get hills like that in Alaska, we have mountains instead. Although some of the coasts here make me think of Tuor's journeys when he came to Gondolin. Can't say why though...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #85
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Nice hills, alatar, we don't get hills like that in Alaska, we have mountains instead. Although some of the coasts here make me think of Tuor's journeys when he came to Gondolin. Can't say why though...
Thanks, I guess. Not sure if mountains, as to hills, would be better or worse. What really creeps me out is the lack of anything - hills or mountains - in the horizon.

And it's normal, at least to me, upon seeing certain places to think of a part of a journey of some character within LotR.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #86
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, this isn't a landscape, but I found out that there's a real life location named after a Tolkien character: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant with Green Dragon Pub. Has anyone who lives near there been there?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #87
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
There are the pastures behind my house that I've always seen as Rohan, and even more so now that we have horses back there. And there is a dirt road leading into the woods that reminds me of a road Frodo might take on his journey to Rivendell.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #88
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Well, this isn't a landscape, but I found out that there's a real life location named after a Tolkien character: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant with Green Dragon Pub. Has anyone who lives near there been there?
Thanks for the find, Esty. If only I could get the kids rounded up for a road trip.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #89
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Alaska is fine place to locate Middle-earth. What with our volcanoes, massive mountain ranges, miles of verdant green tundra, and great forests it's a wonder they didn't film the Lord of the Rings films here! Or so I like to think. Here be some evidence of my claims:

The Barrow-downs (not in the film but whatever):

Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #90
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

And the Mountains of Shadow:
Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #91
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Absolutely beautiful! It reminds me of how I imagined northern Gondor.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #92
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Stunning! The 'Barrow Downs' remind me of parts of Wales where I used to go on vacation some years ago *nostalgic sigh*. And the 'Mountains of Shadow' are quite perfect - isn't that the very road leading south from the Morannon that we see there?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #93
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Great pics, Laurinquë!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #94
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes .. but I think your idea of Downs is a bit rugged for somewhere so close to the Shire perhaps a wilder part of middle earth... There are barrows on downs on the Isle of Wight ( a short ferry ride away from me) . The last Wight walking festival had one event that was "Walk the Barrow Downs"!!!

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=7055

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #95
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thank you so much! I have a lot more photos I could add if you like these, even a few of Mount Doom that I took in Hawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Yes .. but I think your idea of Downs is a bit rugged for somewhere so close to the Shire perhaps a wilder part of middle earth... There are barrows on downs on the Isle of Wight ( a short ferry ride away from me) . The last Wight walking festival had one event that was "Walk the Barrow Downs"!!!
You're probably right, but we Alaskans have to make do with what we have. Earth-covered piles of bones are few and far between here. As are most nice things.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #96
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Laurinquë, I am *so* jealous (as I live in the east side of Mordor)! Those pictures are absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing them.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #97
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yeah, great pictures Laurinquë, those are some beautiful vistas!

Can't help to shudder though. It looks cold, windy and desolate. *brrrrrrrr*

Reminds me of that Sean Penn movie, Into The Wild. Seen that one?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #98
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post

You're probably right, but we Alaskans have to make do with what we have. Earth-covered piles of bones are few and far between here. As are most nice things.
Oh I didn't mean to be insulting ..the pictures are amazing. We don't get that sort of "Big sky country" here.

I suppose for me that I have always seen the Shire and nearby as being very English and the further landscapes being more imposing or exotic. So in England I see lots of places that make me think Shire but only in the States or Australasia have I got glimpses of say the Misty Mountains.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 10-27-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #99
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm glad everyone liked my previous pictures so much! In thanks you will receive more pictures! Here they are:

Somewhere on the Plateau of Gorgoroth?

If you can think of any particular spot this fits I'd be glad to hear about it. I took these photos whilst on holiday in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

More Plateau of Gorgoroth.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:11 AM   #100
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Eugh! A TRUE plateau of Gorgoroth!! (The first one also made me think a bit of the desolation before Morannon. Posibly from a large part because of the rocks. The third could be a shot from the other side of the Gate, somewhere inside Udun. Ha, in other words: you are a bad photographer, Lauri, why did you not take a picture of the Black Gate, when it's obvious that it is just right there outside the frame! )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #101
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lauri I'd rep you again for those photos but unfortunately I don't think I'm allowed. Very beautiful work. And now you've made up my mind for me to stop in Hawaii on my future round-the-world trip.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #102
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I live in a huge valley, and the mountains look just like the Misty Mountains right now. I can't get a good picture, though, because the roads/fence/satellite dish/telephone wires keep getting in the way. Also, the forest behind my house looks very Fangorny.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #103
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I live in a huge valley, and the mountains look just like the Misty Mountains right now. I can't get a good picture, though, because the roads/fence/satellite dish/telephone wires keep getting in the way. Also, the forest behind my house looks very Fangorny.
Well, don't they all in Alaska? It's not very Shire like here, but there is always something that catches your fancy, something that looks like Middle-Earth.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 10-31-2009 at 08:43 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #104
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Actually, there's a field near my house that does look Shire-esque. Unfortunately, it has no trees, so when the big winds come, you can't drive there for fear of being blown off the road because there's nothing to slow it down.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #105
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Michigan's Upper Peninsula reminds me a lot of Middle Earth.

This is the town of Copper Harbor, which is on the northernmost tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula (of the Upper Peninsula), as viewed from the top of Brockway Mountain in October:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copper Brockway 1.JPG (98.4 KB, 1065 views)

Last edited by Andsigil; 10-31-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Andsigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #106
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This lighthouse in Manistique, Michigan, on the south coast of the U.P., looks like something from Dol Amroth:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manistique Lighthouse 1.JPG (92.2 KB, 1050 views)
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #107
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This is the stone harbor wall/pathway that leads to the lighthouse. Very Gondorian, if you ask me:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manistique Lighthouse 2.JPG (97.7 KB, 1021 views)
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #108
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This is the rest of the wall/path around the 90 degree bend. We took these pictures on vacation a week ago:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manistique Lighthouse 3.JPG (96.8 KB, 1015 views)
Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #109
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Actually, there's a field near my house that does look Shire-esque. Unfortunately, it has no trees, so when the big winds come, you can't drive there for fear of being blown off the road because there's nothing to slow it down.
Is that near where that fire happened. Every time we drive past those dead trees, I think of Saruman and it makes me sad. The funny thing though, is that those trees have been dead almost as long as I've been alive!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #110
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Wow! Those are some amazing pictures Lauri!

The first three look to me like a stonier version of Rohan, or possibly some of the wilderness in the North, and yes, the fourth does look like the Mountains of shadow to me as well.

I agree with Legate about the last three.

Great photography, Laurinquë!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Well when you have Barrow Downs in the Isle of Wight, it's not too hard to imagine a Tolkienish environment, is it?

Last edited by Eönwë; 11-01-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #111
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Is that near where that fire happened. Every time we drive past those dead trees, I think of Saruman and it makes me sad. The funny thing though, is that those trees have been dead almost as long as I've been alive!
No (it's a farm thingi) but I know what you mean, and it does look like something Saruman would do. There's a marsh thing near my house that sometimes looks like the Paths of the Dead.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #112
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
No (it's a farm thingi) but I know what you mean, and it does look like something Saruman would do. There's a marsh thing near my house that sometimes looks like the Paths of the Dead.
Nice. Its always lovely to be able to walk by something that might be a bit creepy.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 AM   #113
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Wow! Those are some amazing pictures Lauri!

The first three look to me like a stonier version of Rohan, or possibly some of the wilderness in the North, and yes, the fourth does look like the Mountains of shadow to me as well.

I agree with Legate about the last three.

Great photography, Laurinquë!
Thank you! The 'Barrow-downs' pictures were taken at a place called Finger Mountain about 140 miles north of Fairbanks. And I am quite open to interpretations of the whereabouts of these pictures, do feel free to improve on my assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Lauri I'd rep you again for those photos but unfortunately I don't think I'm allowed. Very beautiful work. And now you've made up my mind for me to stop in Hawaii on my future round-the-world trip.
Thank you very much! And yes, you really should stop in for a visit there! There's no other place like it in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Eugh! A TRUE plateau of Gorgoroth!! (The first one also made me think a bit of the desolation before Morannon. Posibly from a large part because of the rocks. The third could be a shot from the other side of the Gate, somewhere inside Udun. Ha, in other words: you are a bad photographer, Lauri, why did you not take a picture of the Black Gate, when it's obvious that it is just right there outside the frame)
Oh believe me, I would have but alas my camera ran out of battery right then. But perhaps this may interest you:

Ignore those annoying trees, they were just some Ents that were insisting on following me about and getting in the way of my picture.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #114
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Oh believe me, I would have but alas my camera ran out of battery right then.
Ah, all right. Well, good warning for you for the next time - recharge your battery properly, or at least get some backup batteries!

Quote:
Ignore those annoying trees, they were just some Ents that were insisting on following me about and getting in the way of my picture.
Aren't they getting a bit too bold lately? I mean, attacking Isengard is one thing, but storming the Black Gate itself is quite a daring deed...

Anyway, very nice!! (if that is the proper word to use for the appearance of Mordor...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #115
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I see Old Man Willow, or at least his kid brother:
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #116
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

ZOMG

How'd I always overlook this cool thread?

There is an old cemetery next door that's Barrow Downs material, especially now that so many graves are completely overgrown.

I'll have to sneak in and take some pictures in the fog sometime.

It's a spooky place, but it ultimately gives off a good vibe. It has a calming effect on me when I stand by the fence and peer in. So maybe it's not too evil - or maybe the evil spirits are my kindred. Hardy har har.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #117
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three is Company
Not far from the road meeting, they came on the huge hulk of a tree. It was still alive and had leaves on the small branches that it had put out round the broken stumps of its long fallen limps. But it was hollow, and could be entered by a great crack on the side away from the road. The hobbits crept inside and sat there upon a floor of old leaves and decayed wood.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #118
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Awwww . . . and filled with cute little hobbits too.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #119
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Alatar, that reminds me of Old Man Willow and its eating of hobbits.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #120
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Alatar, that reminds me of Old Man Willow and its eating of hobbits.
There, I fixded it.