The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question Barrow Downs Photo Page Down

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, and perhaps it's moot since most of us are connected on Facebook these days, but the link at the top of the Downs for the *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page leads to a page not found notification on Freewebs. Were we still wanting a photo page? Because if so, we'll need to get a new person to manage the page and who can take submissions again. We will also probably have to create another website or even a page on the forum.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, and perhaps it's moot since most of us are connected on Facebook these days, but the link at the top of the Downs for the *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page leads to a page not found notification on Freewebs. Were we still wanting a photo page? Because if so, we'll need to get a new person to manage the page and who can take submissions again. We will also probably have to create another website or even a page on the forum.

What are your thoughts on this?
It seemed to me that the link there has already been outdated when I found it. There are a lot more pictures on the photo and moot threads (will link when get computer - on my phone now). I think those may be sufficient for sharing pictures on the Downs, and it removes the necessity of a manager or a new website.

The question that seems more relevant to me is whether we want to clear away the dead link or keep it for old times sake and because the forum would look weird without it.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think that link has been dead for a long time now.

The photo thread is rarely posted on these days and most photos posted there are also no longer in existence or are bad urls. Interestingly enough, Tigerlily's original site is still functional, though all the pictures there are 10+ years old.

Since most BDers don't frequent the Downs regularly these days, I think it would prove difficult to have just one person manage the site. That is why the site is down in the first place.

One possibility worth exploring is to create a new photo website that everyone can edit (like Wikipedia). That way we all have responsibility to keep it updated and remove anything inappropriate or outdated.

If that doesn't work, then the link on the top of the forum should be removed completely.