The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield What does Galadriel really look like?

Now Galadriel in the movie to me looked to stif and creepy. She needed to be a bit more cheerful and just happy. In the movie the fellowship looked scared of her. In the book they were all just amazed and happy with her. But that's my opinion.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

That's what I thought. Actually, in the Books, some of the Fellowship (Boromir, Gimli) was scared to go into Lothlorien, but mostly they were glad to go there.<P>I do agree that she was portrayed a bit intensely in the movie. Actually (and this is kinda weird) I thought she should have been a bit like the Galadriel in the Bakshi animated LotR. Maybe a mix of the two.....<P>Oh, and BTW, Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Lily! Enjoy being dead.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:37 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked her. She had an edge that I think was appropriate for the mirror scene. Since that was her main scene in the theatrical FotR it skewed her personality that way. Once the gift giving scene was included in the special edition, her character was more balanced.<P>Galadriel isn't all smiles and sunshine. Ego and pride were a large part of her personality as well. She was greatly tempted by the Ring and if it had come to her earlier in her life, I think she stood a good chance of taking it.<P>H.C.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't know what everyone's big problem with the movie Galadriel is. I loved her! She was mysterious, beautiful, hallowed, and arrogant (like all the other Noldor!). I think that Cate Blanchett played her beautifully!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 06:05 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cate Blanchett played Galadriel beautifully. I had no complaints.<BR>She was both frighteningly powerful as well as beautiful and mysterious. I would have said she was the ideal Galadriel, and there was no fault with her performance.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #6
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The portrayal was good - I didnt like the radioactive special effects no no no !<BR>all wrong
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:18 AM   #7
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

In the Bakshi version Galadriel reminded me of Mary Poppins for some odd reason. <BR>I have no problem with Cate's portrayal. I think she was a good Galadriel. But the radioactive-woman special effects could have been toned down a little. I think that scene could have been more effective if it had been done subtly.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:21 AM   #8
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the book, Galadriel came across as wise, powerful, noble and had a dark side which was veiled. Cate Blanchett did a good job of making that visible on-screen. It was exactly how I hoped that Galadriel would be.<P>However, in the book, Galadriel did appear cheerful sometimes. But I think that there was just not enough time to portray all the parts of her persona. If they had more time, it's certain that they would have included more of her merrier qualities instead of just the sombre ones.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with HCIsland somewhat. I liked Galadriel's "edge", but she could have been a little cheerful. That's just my opinion.<P>Burzdol
Old 07-02-2003, 04:24 AM   #10
Lasgalen
Wight

Lasgalen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Galadriel has gone through a lot and has a weariness with Middle-earth. Cate was able to capture the look of weariness. I don't think she should be more cheerful, as that was not her nature.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:47 AM   #11
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I don't know.....I would have imagined Galadriel as less 'freaky', although she was mysterious enough. <BR>When I read the books, I had a slightly different perception.

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:42 PM   #12
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It's a funny thing - I know Cate Blanchett wasn't at all how I imagined Galadriel being, but now I can't remember how I *did* imagine her in the first place.<BR>Cate Blanchett's Galadriel has taken over somehow. The only part that bothers me at all is that radioactive bit, and I think I'm even starting to like that!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #13
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked Galadriel in the movie except for the mirror scene. In the books it said that she became more beautiful and at the same time terrible and almost worshipful when the Ring was offered to her. They did the best they could do with that part but they didn't need to make her go all green and stuff. That's just my opinion though.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:10 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Put it this way: I didn't think Galadriel's looks were all they were cracked up to be. Merry's gaping like he's just seen a giant mushroom, & then they FINALLY show us her face, & you're kinda thinkin', "That's all!?" Obviously they're not going to bring in some 20 year-old rapper would make anyones mouth gape( ), but it just seemed like they could've do better, that's all. I will say that sometimes she did look better than others, but I didn't think she was all that mouth-gapeing, jaw-dropping, wide-eyed, eye-popping great. I know at least a hundred other people that follow that same train of thought as well... <p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #15
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
Sting

One thing to remember about Galadriel is that she had a reputation to live up to both in the way she looked and acted. I think they did a good jod with her looks, she was suppossed to look good, but also be intemadating. I think she fitted the part very well
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:17 PM   #16
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I enjoyed Galadriel in the movie… it was the way I pictured her in my head but each has their own opinion! <P>But Merry, Pippin and Frodo were the people I thought were not right. Don’t get me wrong I love Merry and Pippin but they seemed almost… dumb (unintelligent dumb) in the movie. In the book they come across as clever serious but funny… I don’t know if it is only me who thinks that!<P>And I am sorry but Frodo was just all wrong… what a wimp in the movie… this is where I shut up!<P>~Niluial
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:27 PM   #17
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

Niluial! Don't worry your not alone! I thought that Merry and Pippin (especially Merry) should have been smarter too!
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:13 PM   #18
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Especially Merry should've been smarter too? It's just my single solitary opinion, but it seems to me that Pippin is the one that doesn't even know to look over his LEFT shoulder when he's hit on the LEFT side of his head by a Strider-thrown-apple! I think PJ just converted Pippin into a stand-up comedian.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:15 PM   #19
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I know that in the books, Merry and Pippin are both a lot smarter than they were in the movie. But to hold the audiences attention, the movies needed comedy. Merry and Pippin were the comedy.

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:26 AM   #20
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought we were discussing about Galadriel? <BR>Anyway, Blanchett as Galadriel wasn't that cold, at least; she actually "sweetened up" at the gift-giving part. <BR>The movie-Galadriel did have that bit of mystery and a bit of being graceful, with a hint of pride, probably - which I imagined the book-Galadriel to have. I just thought of her as being a bit more... well, down-to-earth; not too untouchable (I agree - That "neon freakout scene" by the mirror was a bit too intense). I guess she was just portrayed as such to communicate, "Behold! She is the great sorceress of the Golden Wood!" - or something to that effect. <BR>As far as physical characteristics are concerned, Cate Blanchett fit the part, though I think someone with more delicate features could have been casted.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:40 PM   #21
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to Elves, or anyone! Cate was beautiful enough, but also imposing enough to be the same Galadriel who is daughter of Finarfin and who made the perilous crossing of the Helcaraxë with the host of Fingolfin, named the greatest of the Elves after Fëanor. Making her "creepy" sort of obliquely shows this power of history within her, I suppose. Also exposes her Noldorin tendencies toward active pursuits, her desire for a realm of her own, etc. Not all this could be shown explicitly, so I guess the creepy thing showed her to be beyond the norm as Elves go, anyway!<P>I must say the extended FOTR really increases her beauty and appeal for me, though. She has a radiant smile, and she really embodies hope and love when she is gift-giving at the end of the Fellowship's stay in Lothlorien. The one who really suffers from the cuts in the theatrical version though, is Celeborn! Everyone thinks he's boring and he only says one thing! He comes off as a figurehead in the short version. He is much more aware and much more a keen observer and ruler of his realm in the extended version, though. Also nice to look at! Great intense eyes! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote